The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I was blind, now I can seeeeee *thud*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> I was blind, now I can seeeeee *thud* Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: I was blind, now I can seeeeee *thud* Reply with quote

In other words, how do some people deal with med packs and healing?
Not natural healing times (got them) but more to do with using med packs, and how long it takes to recover from the injury, once treated.

I'm a little concerned that my players might treat med packs like it's a computer game, an unrealistic one, at least.

For example:
"I'm injured. Sprained my ankle in that fall"
"Ok, l've got a med pack. Lay still" - Rolls good enough to heal the Wounded status
"There you go, you are fully healed. Let's race to the next encounter".

I'd like to have something in place to stop mad packs becoming a 'miracle treatment', but don't want to get bogged down too much with tracking injury stats and dice penalties etc.

Anyone got any good ideas/thoughts/experience, or should I just go with common sense (the last resort, of course Wink )
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go a little more in depth. For example, if a player has a broken arm, they can splint it and numb it with a medpack, so it won't become further injured and the 1D penalty will only apply to certain actions involving the arm. It will still take time to heal fully and you'll have to deal with things like splints side effects of painkillers and such.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them reminded that each med pack used within the same 24 hours increases the category of being healed by 1.. Even if you healed up fully.

So lets take john the rebel saboteaur. He gets wounded in battle.. A wound is an easy medic roll..
Later in that day, he gets hit in a bar fight for another wound.. but as healing this with a med pack is his 2nd in the day, its actually now a moderate first aid roll.

Not even a hour later, he is now having imperials chasing him. He gets hit by a nasty blaster bolt and goes to incap. As normally this would be a 15 diff (moderate), but healing him is the third time in the day med packs have been used, he is now needing a 25 on the roll (regardless of whom it is healing him). If that succeeds, and they use another one to heal his wound (as you shift from incap to wounded twice, then once), that 2nd pack would be also at 25 (easy for wound, with 3 cat shifts).. The last wound would actually be at heroic.

And as a rule i have commonly seen, rolling 5 or less on a med pack roll, overdrives the system making it to where you can't use another med pack for 24 hours period.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I was blind, now I can seeeeee *thud* Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I'd like to have something in place to stop mad packs becoming a 'miracle treatment', but don't want to get bogged down too much with tracking injury stats and dice penalties etc.

Anyone got any good ideas/thoughts/experience, or should I just go with common sense (the last resort, of course Wink )
The player sometimes does a bit with roleplaying the injury, but basically I'm OK with just treating it as a 'miracle treatment' and just moving the action along.

I suppose you could add some additional book keeping and do something like Fallon Kell and roll for a location. Treat anything that relies on that location only as -1D even after medpac healing (or even lower the penalty to -1 or -2 pips).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it takes one hour to go from wounded to unwounded with a Medpack. If you roll higher than the target number required, it will go faster. As we have a good medic (I think around 6-7D) it usually ends up at around 15-20 minutes.

We have actually changed fastflesh. They are actually harder to use (one difficulty harder), but only need half the time to heal the character.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Fallon's idea, along with Gark's increasing difficulty.

I guess I'm just a little evil like that... Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually by the book...
Page 98 revised.

Quote:
A first aid (or Technical) roll is needed to use a
medpac. The difficulty depends upon the severity of
the patient's injury:
Degree of Injury Difficulty
Stunned, unconscious Very Easy
Wounded, wounded twice Easy
Incapacitated Moderate
Mortally wounded Difficult
If the firstaid roll is successful, the patient heals one
level: stunned and wounded characters are fully healed;
unconscious characters are revived; wounded twice
characters improve to wounded; incapacitated charac- *
ters improve to wounded twice; mortally wounded characters
improve to incapacitated.
If the first aid roll is unsuccessful, the character's
condition remains the same. If the first aid roll misses
the difficulty by more than 10 points, the medpac has
pushed the injured character's body to its limit, and no
more medpacs can be used on him for a full standard
day (24 hour period).
Mulitple medpacs can be used on a character within
a single day, but increase the first aid difficulty one
level for each additional use.

jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have somehow missed that part. It does help to balance it, at least somewhat.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been considered harsh cause i DO use it as wrote.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's frustrating. I had a post, but I lost it. I will try to recreate it.

Where I really see the need for something like Urban and Fallon are arguing for is when a character is wounded severely and multiple medpacs are used to bring them up to full health. Having a wounded character recover full health doesn't bother me, but a character who is Incapacitated, then (3) medpacs are administered to bring the character to stunned (which then wears off) and now the character is good as new. This strains my credulity, removes some interesting dramatic possibilities for characters to remain injured for more than a few rounds, and makes advanced medical treatment like bacta, surgery, or medicine less necessary. I am considering one of the following modifications.

1) Limit the level of health that can be returned to the character's Ds of STR. So a STR 3D human could only return 3 levels of health. One consequence is it increases the bullet proof Wookiee syndrom.

2) Limit the levels of penalty that can be removed to 3 levels. A character can still be healed up past that, but the penalty remains until advanced medical treatment (bacta tank or an equipped sickbay or surgery with an appropriate medicine roll) or sufficient time spent resting.

Examples for characters with various wound levels:
Wounded - can have up to three levels of penalty removed. So one medpac successfully applied will raise the character from (Wounded --> Stunned) and the stun will wear off in time. So the character will be returned to full health.

[/b] - can have up to three levels of penalty removed. So two medpacs successfully applied will raise the character from (Woundedx2 --> Wounded --> Stunned) and the stun will wear off in time. So the character will be returned to full health.

Incapacitated - three medpacs will heal the character from Incapped --> Woundedx2 --> Wounded --> Stunned, but since only three levels of penalty can be removed the character continues to act as if they are stunned (with a -1D penalty due to bruises, aches, & pains along with the encuberance of bandages, casts, or splints as well as a reduction in the number of additional stuns required to render the character unconcious) until they receive advanced medical treatment or rest.

Mortally Wounded - three medpacs will heal the character from Mortal --> Incapped --> Woundedx2 --> Wounded, and they will remain wounded until they receive advanced medical treatment or rest.

I think this adds some additional reality, some possibilities for drama, and increases the pain of being wounded without adding too much book keeping.

Thoughts?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option i saw is that it heals the immediate level, and resultant penalty, but the wound itself still remains..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One option i saw is that it heals the immediate level, and resultant penalty, but the wound itself still remains..
Can you explain that with examples?
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying an Incapacitated character who is treated with a medpak is still Incapacitated, but shows no ill effects until healed?

I might like that idea.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrrect... The wound penalty (and for incap/mortally wounded) they are consious, but the actual wound is still there.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren, yes, you are spot on with the problem I've been trying to resolve in my own head.

I like both yours and Garhkals take on this.
I'm going to try garhkals method first, as it's slightly easy to impliment with the way I have been running it until now.
If I'm not happy with the results (which largely rely on Player role-play), then I'll switch.

I'll also try to re-enforce the problems the injury gives them after healing by including refrences to it in descriptions of events.
For example:
"You parry the attack with your vibroblade. The impact of the blow vibrates along the weapon to your arm. You grimace slightly, as pain shoots through your arm. The med-pack fixed you good, but the doc wasn't lying when he recommended you rest that arm for a few days".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: