The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Getting back into SW D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Getting back into SW D6 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is a whole lot more often than me
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, thanks so much guys. RAW and EU in particular had me stumped Smile

I've read through manhunt, and this looks like a great place to start. Instant Adventures looks very handy too. Cheers again and happy new year.

Cal
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we could be of help!

Good luck with your game!
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I want my characters to have a really cool/mysterious/kick-@$$ contact in the Rebel Alliance, someone who fixes them up with black op style missions when needed. Any suggestions for an existing NPC that I could use for this purpose, or one that might be good as a starting point?

Cheers guys!
Cal
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the obvious choice would be General Cracken. He's the rebel in charge of writing up all of our fabulous guides:

Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
Cracken's Threat Dossier
Cracken's Rebel Operatives
Alliance Intelligence Reports (He's mentioned as a key player)

Unfortunately they don't have any stats for him after 1st Ed. If you do get your hands on Alliance Intelligence Reports, they have a list of rebel intelligence personnel and commanders. Maybe you'll find what you're looking for there.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best book I've seen for that sort of thing is Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim. The first chapter is all about how rebel cell groups work and how operatives make contacts in the field. It doesn't have any adventures in it, but it provides NPCs plus an adventure hook or two.
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never run any official adventures but own and read many... Like a few others here, I'd recommend Classic Adventures or Star Wars Journal adventures, they’re short, clearly written, varied and easy to string together!

Most can run for a few sessions…

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The best book I've seen for that sort of thing is Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim. The first chapter is all about how rebel cell groups work and how operatives make contacts in the field. It doesn't have any adventures in it, but it provides NPCs plus an adventure hook or two.

I really liked GG9 as well. In addition to the Rebel Cell information, there is also some additional information about force users, a small chapter about Galactic Business, a little information about News Agencies, and a very useful section describing a veriety of alcoholic drinks from about the galaxy!

Tossk wrote:
I've never run any official adventures but own and read many... Like a few others here, I'd recommend Classic Adventures or Star Wars Journal adventures, they’re short, clearly written, varied and easy to string together!

Most can run for a few sessions…

Very true. I personally love reading pre-written stories even if I dont use them very often. Sometimes, you can take elements of an adventure and use them when you create your own adventures. Also, I've seen people run pre-written stories every other session. The first session might be a pre-written, then the GM tells their own short story to "Connect" the first pre-written with the next pre-written story. My gaming group fondly calls it "Connect-the-dots" GMing.

If you like writing your own stories, then go for it!. If you want to run pre-written stories, then do that! If you want to run both, or even swipe elements from pre-existing stories when writing your own, great! In the end, its all about having fun and doing whats right for you and your gaming group.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliginous wrote:
Fantastic, thanks so much guys. RAW and EU in particular had me stumped Smile

I've read through manhunt, and this looks like a great place to start. Instant Adventures looks very handy too. Cheers again and happy new year.

Cal

If Manhunt goes wrong (the rather unrealistic notion of the escape scene for example), then Starfall is an excellent follow up adventure as the characters are caught..
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys - thanks again for the suggestions, very helpful.

Just read Starfall - perfect follow up, cheers!
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, 'nother question... Smile

how do you as GMs handle Failed Jedi PCs?

My game is tomorrow (Friday) night, and the player who has chosen a Failed Jedi is a complete SW nut, but has never roleplayed before. He has come up with a great backstory for his character, and is really keen to start. I embargoed the Young Jedi template because I want my PCs to be morally ambiguous and to be all-round "scoundrels". As such, his character is a near-homeless type old man working as a garbage collector on a poor space station in the outer rim, being paid barely enough to get by and using most of that to get a bottle. But he is a popular piece of the station's furniture. The local urchins like his tricks and his rambling, surely far-fetched stories about heroes of old. The way I'm working is that the Alliance has never lost track of him. They've figured in his current state and place, he is better protected form the Empire than they could offer. They're waiting for the right time to bring him back into their service, and the latest clandestine operation that they've cooked up could just be it.....

I think it's important to let my player know that he is first and foremost a FAILED Jedi, but at the same time, the PC can't expect to not get better and improve his abilities. Should he remain static (Force ability-wise) for a while until such time that I think his character is feeling the calling again and is ready to a right cloudy past and a lost of wasted years? How do you handle the *failed* part successfully, and not just use the template as a kickstart for a more powerful character Jedi?

Cheers
Cal
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some time to think about his former master, you can use that to help push home the FAILED part of the template. I few remembered words of wisdom might be able to push home the character's shortcomings. A couple of ideas: You remember the last time you tried to perform this power, the way your master hung her head. She seemed so dissapointed, as if it was her fault that you just didnt get it. "Enough" She says softly, taking a deep breath, "We'll try again tomorrow." Shaking her head, she turns and walks from the room. or You remember the cutpurse who tried to rob you on Coruscant as a young Padawan. You remember your anger as you ran the young man down. You remember the rage you felt when you finally cornered him. You arent sure which memory haunts you more, the memory of what you did to the cutpurse, or the look on your master's face when she found out about it.

Take a little time to think about how your player lost his master. Did it happen during the Purge? Could it have somehow been his fault?

Maybe the character still owns his former master's lightsaber. The lightsaber acts as a constant reminder that he never learned to build his own.

Also, keep in mind that just because the character us using the Failed Jedi template dosnt mean he cant pull himself out of the bottle and get his act together. In time, he should be allowed to overcome his former shortcomings and become someone who others can look up to.

Last edited by Guardian_A on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed Jedi start with a DSP so you could make it impossible to remove until they go and address whatever incurred it in their backstory. Even if they've felt the call to adventure and are beginning to help the helpless and all that don't remove it and keep giving them the +1D or +1 difficulty level choice until they make amends.
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just got back form the game (it's Friday night in Oz), everyone had a blast and it went down a treat. First time players said they never knew what they were missing!

Felt very nostalgic being back in the GM's chair delivering a game of SW D6 - over 15 years since I did this.

Player's learnt many valuable lessons in one session:

1) Don't charge headlong into 4 Bounty Hunters by yourself armed only with a grenade and a vibroblade. Better yet, don't roll a complication when throwing said grenade.
2) Medpacs are very valuable, characters must buy more than one (see 1).
3) Critical failures using medpacs *are* hilarious (see 1 and 2).
4) Character points are extremely valuable (see 3).

Overall, very good fun, everyone is keen for another session so I must have done something right. Thanks for the advice and tips so far. No doubt, more questions coming...
Cal
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, sounds like a blast! I'm glad things went so well for you.

We'll be happy to answer any further questions you have as your story progresses!

We'll be looking forward to hearing about your players further misadventures! (Loved the "Lesson" breakdown!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: