The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Getting back into SW D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Getting back into SW D6 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Getting back into SW D6 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

New here, stumbled across this place a few days ago.

So I played SW pretty frequently from about 1993 to about 1999 when most of my gaming group left town. My books have been sitting on my shelf, pretty much forgotten since then. About a fortnight ago I went to a garage sale around the corner, and sitting there in a couple of storage boxes were volumes of WEG SW stuff. I couldn't believe it - the lady told me they belonged to her son who had long since moved away. Anyway, I bought the lot for an absolute steal, and as far as I can tell, there are only a couple of titles missing from the entire WEG catalogue. Joy Smile

My current group of mates and I regularly play Talisman/Space Hulk/Descent etc on a Friday night, but only a couple of them have ever roleplayed before. I suggested we give SW a go, and everyone is very keen.

After gauging what everyone wanted to play, which was mainly smugglers, gamblers and bounty hunters, I decided to set the campaign just before the events in ANH, and have them working as a mercenary type outfit doing jobs for the rebels (and maybe the Imperials too) as well as dealing with their own affairs/messes Smile

I've got a million and one adventures here and I'm kinda overwhelmed as to where would be a good place to start. Anyone recommend a good group of starting adventures, or a good starting campaign? Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers guys!
Cal
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I might not be the best person to be answering this simply because I prefer to write my own adventures instead of running pre-written stuff, but I'll put in my two bitz anyway.

It seems like a lot of people consider "Tatooine Manhunt" as a good starting adventure for new players.

Supernova contains a set of 5 small adventures that may be a good fit for your new group. Especially if you want to tie them to the Rebel Alliance

"The Black Sands of Soccoro" and "No Decintegrations" make decent starting points for Smugglers and Bounty Hunters respectively.

The Darkstryder Campaign is the favorate of a lot of people. The down side is that it requires a TON of prep work.

With all of that said, I think the best advice I can give you is this: Pull 2-3 adventures from your collection that "Look" interesteding. Read those adventures in your free time and use the one you feel most comfortable GMing.

PS: Welcome to the Rancor Pit!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Rancor Pit! Like some of the others, I've mostly run my own adventures. I've dropped Domain of Evil in a couple of times, and I've also run Pirates of Prexiar several times. However, many people have run Tatooine Manhunt with good results.

Good luck with your adventures. Also, you might be interested in some of the Fan products we have available at the Pit. Some of them look amateurish, but there are a lot of solid professional looking books. We had the great pleasure of having someone among us who worked in layout and put together some fantastic PDFs. We also have some books that have converted all the d20 stats into D6.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit.

For just starting out, I would recommend the Introductory Adventure Boxed Set or Instant Adventures. The Introductory Boxed Set is almost a SW-RPG for Dummies set, in that it provides a walk-through for the GM for a lot of the important actions. In the first encounter, between the characters and a jungle predator, they even provide a list of different actions the predator can take, and describes in detail how to roll them. If you are feeling a little rusty as a SW GM, it can provide a very useful crutch.

If you are feeling more confident in your D6 GM'ing skills, then Instant Adventures is just what it sounds like: pre-packaged adventures for a variety of different types of PC groups. All you have to do is follow the instructions.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. The Intro Box Set is a GREAT place to start if you have it.
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into SW D6 Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting your gaming group to try out swd6. I got mine to make the transition back in the summer and I don't think we're going back. One of the best things about the system is how quickly it gets total newcomers into the game and into roleplaying.

Like the others who have already posted I prefer to run my own adventures. While I understand the appeal of starting with a prewritten adventure I actually recommend transitioning into your own stories as quickly as possible. It's important to show your players the difference between a static board game and a roleplaying game where their actions, or failures to act, permanently affect the play environment. I like playing up the "small galaxy phenomenon" and while some players may groan deep down they really do enjoy being part of a soap opera... as long as they get to shoot stuff with their blaster.

Good luck with your transition back into d6, and nice job getting your players to avoid the jedi templates.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with crmcneill. The boxed set is how I got my start, and you wouldn't believe the zany fun we all had in the second run through of that adventure. In the first run through, we didn't have a clue what we were doing and we died in the Rebel base. That was kinda funny too.

Complete Starship Construction System
Caliginous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys - thanks for the welcomes and all the replies. Much appreciated.

I should have mentioned that my propensity for using pre-written adventures at the moment stems form a lack of prep time. I'm a high-school teacher, so while on holidays I have a fair bit of free time, but during term I have almost none, especially with a full load of senior classes. I can always find time to do reading and do some basic prep stuff, but that's about it. Once we really get into it I might find the process comes a bit more naturally and organically though.

I have downloaded a fair few of the fan made works found on this site. Some of them are just mind-blowing!

Cheers
Cal

PS Is there an FAQ that lists commonly used acronyms? Some of them are lost on me Smile
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll have to be your FAQ. Most are the film or book title. Ask away! We'll answer.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliginous wrote:
Hi guys - thanks for the welcomes and all the replies. Much appreciated.

I should have mentioned that my propensity for using pre-written adventures at the moment stems form a lack of prep time. I'm a high-school teacher, so while on holidays I have a fair bit of free time, but during term I have almost none, especially with a full load of senior classes. I can always find time to do reading and do some basic prep stuff, but that's about it. Once we really get into it I might find the process comes a bit more naturally and organically though.

I hear that!

Quote:

I have downloaded a fair few of the fan made works found on this site. Some of them are just mind-blowing!

We aim to please.
Quote:

PS Is there an FAQ that lists commonly used acronyms? Some of them are lost on me Smile

I had a running list at one point. I haven't kept them current in the last couple of years. But if you want to open up a thread in Forums info, then I'd be happy to explain any of them that you don't get right away. Some of the more popular are

SW - Star Wars
SW RPG (or SWRPG or SW-RPG) - Star Wars Roleplaying Game
ANH - Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
ESB - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
RotJ - Star Wars: Episode IV - Return of the Jedi
TPM - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
AOTC - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
ROTS - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
KotOR - Knights of the Old Republic (referencing either video games, d20 sourcebook, D6 Conversion book, or era of play)
WEG - West End Games
WotC - Wizards of the Coast.
R&E - Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded
TOTJC (or TOTJ) - Tales of the Jedi Companion (or Tales of the Jedi era of play)
ROE - Rise of the Empire (era of play)
GM - Gamemaster
PC - player character
NPC - non-player character
DSP - Dark Side Point
CP - character point
FP - Force point
SAGA - Star Wars Roleplaying Game SAGA Edition
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW = Rules as Written
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1E: 1st edition rules
2E: 2nd edition rules (not revised and expanded)

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just went ahead and made a new post in the Forums Info section. Feel free to post suggestions or post questions in reply to it, and we'll keep it as an ongoing work.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119851#119851
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Ches!
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every once in a while I get a good one. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: