The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clone troopers or stormtrooper template?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Clone troopers or stormtrooper template? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Clone troopers or stormtrooper template? Reply with quote

does anyone know if there is an official one? I'm looking but its a lot of books
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clone troopers or stormtrooper template? Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
does anyone know if there is an official one? I'm looking but its a lot of books

I don't know if there is an actual stormtrooper template (as in character sheet), but stormtrooper stats can be found in multiple books, including the 2R&E Sourcebook, the Star Wars Sourcebook, the Imperial Sourcebook, the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook and Rules of Engagement. That may not be what you are looking for, but it could give you some starting points for making up your own...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even taking a gander in the Heroes and Rogues book, i see lots of imp templates, but nothing based on the storm trooper
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because, officially, stormtroopers were completely loyal the the Emperor and could never be made to betray him. Thus, no template from WEG's time period will ever include a stormtrooper for a player to play.

The whole "stormtroopers can flee from the Empire" didn't come about until after WEG really lost its ability to put material out. So you'll have to make up your own if you want a stormtrooper PC. Thankfully, D6 is easy enough that you can do that with little problem.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the "Ex-Imperial Commando" from Heroes & Rogues, you could change the name of it to Storm Trooper, or Ex-Storm Trooper, or something else if you prefer. For the most part, you're just looking for a decent attribute spread along with appropriate skills for an Imperial Shock Trooper. Blaster, Dodge, Grenade, Brawling, Intimidation, Search, etc... I find that just changing the name of a template and coming up with your own backstory, personality and quote is the fastest and easiest way to get what you're looking for.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
That's because, officially, stormtroopers were completely loyal the the Emperor and could never be made to betray him. Thus, no template from WEG's time period will ever include a stormtrooper for a player to play.

garhkal wrote:
Even taking a gander in the Heroes and Rogues book, i see lots of imp templates, but nothing based on the storm trooper

Right. In WEG's 1995 supplement Heroes & Rogues, Chapter Two is "Roleplaying Imperials" which gives suggestions for running campaigns for Imperial characters. That chapter also has 17 PC templates loyal to the Empire, including CompForce Assault Trooper, Ground Assault Vehicle Commander, and TIE Fighter Pilot. I can think of no reason WEG couldn't have also included an Elite Stormtrooper template along with all those other templates loyal to the Empire. It's a bit of head-scratcher that they didn't include a stormtrooper template when they had the perfect chance to in that book.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was our thought. Why isn't there?

I ended up using the ex-imperial template.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason for them not creating a stormtrooper template that I can think of is that they also say that stormtroopers are servants of the Empire, and therefore can be killed by Jedi's etc. without worrying about Dark Side points (unless they enjoy doing it, of course).

Therefore they may have wanted to avoid bluring the line between "It's ok, they are evil" and "Stormtroopers are people too, you know".

Just a guess is all, and naturally all falls down when they've created templates for other Imperial and ex-Imperials.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
Therefore they may have wanted to avoid bluring the line between "It's ok, they are evil" and "Stormtroopers are people too, you know".
Good point. Although, personally I tend to classify the CompForce folks as actively evil and the Stormtroopers as heavily conditioned clones.

One of the 'villains' my young Jedi PC found the most annoying and troublesome was a 10 year old SAGroup kid that my PC rescued. The ungrateful little 'scamp' then promptly turned my PC in to the authorities. Couldn't damage or hurt him since he was "just a kid" and thus very frustrating for my (fairly self-righteously good) PC and great fun for the GM to throw at him. Laughing
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an unofficial template for Clone Troopers in the Clone Wars sourcebook conversion. Basically, it treats them like a alien race, with upper and lower limits to reflect that they are clones of Jango Fett. It's not bad.

I did up a couple of templates (ground trooper, clone pilot, clone mediic, etc.) for my campaign based on the Clone Trooper PC "template".

One problem with offical Stormtrooper stats is that WEG kept changing the offical stats for Stromtroopers. Each edition had different stats.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish, maybe i can whip one up.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind as well that Stormtroopers almost never work alone, they're almost always part of a group of stormies. With this in mind, a template for a lone Stormtrooper is a little out of place. That could be part of why there wasn't an official WEG template.

That said, there's no real reason not to make one. Here's an immediate quick stab:
Dexterity 3D+2
Blaster
Brawling parry
Melee combat
Melee parry
Dodge
Grenade
Blaster artillery
Running
Knowledge 2D+1
Intimidation
Mechanical 2D+2
Communications
Repulsorlift operations
Beast riding
Perception 3D+1
Command
Search
Persuasion
Investigation
Strength 3D
Brawling
Stamina
Lifting
Technical 3D
Armor repair
Blaster repair
Demolitions
First aid

Donate to Ankhanu Press
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured there wasn't a Stormtrooper template because STs were supposed to be the Emperor's elite troops, shock troops if you will, so it always seemed justified that such a character type would be for NPC only. Their conditioning and loyalty to the Emperor suggests they would be unsuitable for PCs.

But that was just us... Smile

Ankhanu, those stats look interesting, would be interested as well in anyone else's interpretations...

T.C.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
I always figured there wasn't a Stormtrooper template because STs were supposed to be the Emperor's elite troops, shock troops if you will, so it always seemed justified that such a character type would be for NPC only. Their conditioning and loyalty to the Emperor suggests they would be unsuitable for PCs.

But it's so fun to be bad guys from time to time. Twisted Evil

Complete Starship Construction System
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just wanted to ask a quick question about templates, as I've never used them, and since we are all on the subject...

When it lists like this
Dexterity 3D+2
Blaster
Brawling Parry
Melee Combat
Etc

Are they suggestive skills? Or does this template come with all those skills 1D above attribute?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: