The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Where are the rules for learning/using advanced skills?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Where are the rules for learning/using advanced skills? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Where are the rules for learning/using advanced skills? Reply with quote

I'm using the R&E rules and I cannot find the page that describes learning and using advanced skills. Help?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it!
darkwing2k6
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok hijacking a slightly older thread here but it ties in with the OP. How do "Advanced" skills work? i understand why and how to train for them but why go to the hassle of training and using CP's to have a 1d (A) skill?

the example used in Revised gm screen book is (A) Medicine (5d first aid prerequisite). would i not be better off rolling 5d first aid (or Xd basic Tech attribute) instead of 1d (A) Medicine? or am i missing something here?

cheers
John the confused
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage to using (A) skills is that they are capable of doing complicated things at much lower difficulties. You do not roll your first aid to successfully apply trauma surgery, operate a Bacta Tank, or install a cybernetic replacement to your poor friend who's just lost a limb or had a failing organ. This falls into the realm of Medicine. A GM might allow someone with First Aid to attempt it, but at a ridiculously high difficulty, because it falls outside of the scope of the essence of first aid.

(A) Engineering skills are used to design and build new technology. You can't design a brand new blaster with the Blaster Repair skill. You might be able to construct an existing design or modify an existing weapon, but not design one from the ground up.

Several of us here have turned Martial Arts into an advanced skill of brawling, using just the (A) Martial Arts skill to successfully pull off special maneuvers which can increase damage, or simply disarm and disable your target.

The other advantage of using (A) skills, is that they improve your dice pools when using their requisite skills. (A) Medicine gets added into your first aid for treatment, so a person with 5D First aid and 1D (A)Medicine rolls 6D to treat injuries instead of 5D.

Hope this helps.
darkwing2k6
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Raven Smile so if i am reading it correctly it goes like this ->

when rolling any skill that also has an (A)skill then i should combine the dice.

when using just the (A) i should be looking at having the difficulty lowered ie to replace someones hand with a cybernetic using first aid it would be a heroic roll (and then some more too) but using (A) medicine it could be a Easy or Moderate difficulty? something like that.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwing2k6 wrote:
thanks for the reply Raven Smile so if i am reading it correctly it goes like this ->

when rolling any skill that also has an (A)skill then i should combine the dice.

when using just the (A) i should be looking at having the difficulty lowered ie to replace someones hand with a cybernetic using first aid it would be a heroic roll (and then some more too) but using (A) medicine it could be a Easy or Moderate difficulty? something like that.

Mostly. It actually depends on if the application is something that could be done without the (A) skill. For instance, a character trying to repair his ship or apply a medpac might be able to add the (A) skill to the base skill (Space Transports Repair or First Aid), but he's just use the (A) skill for something like designing a new ship or performing brain surgery.

You normally don't lower the difficulties. It is just that someone with a (A) skill is more likely to pullk off difficult tasks. So a Docotor or Field Meic is more likely to be successful at stabislizing a badly wounded patient.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
You normally don't lower the difficulties. It is just that someone with a (A) skill is more likely to pullk off difficult tasks. So a Docotor or Field Meic is more likely to be successful at stabislizing a badly wounded patient.
The difference in difficulties is for something that falls under the purview of the A skill, e.g. like operating a Bacta Tank with or without (A) Medicine.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to advanced skills... anyone have a list of all the official ones? How about an unofficial list? I'll compile mine later on.
darkwing2k6
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks for the help Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
With regards to advanced skills... anyone have a list of all the official ones? How about an unofficial list? I'll compile mine later on.

Aside from (A) Medicine in the main rulebook.

(A)Droid Engineering (Cynabar's Fantastic Tech: Droids)
5D Droid Programming or Repair

(A)Armor Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
4D Armor Repair

(A) Capital Ship Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
5D Capital Ship Repair, 4D Capital Ship Weapon Repair, 2D Computer programming/ repair.

(A)Civil/Industrial Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
1D Bureaucracy, 2D Business, 3D Demolitions, 1D Law Enforcement, 2D any repair skills.

(A)Computer Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
5D Computer programming/repair

(A)Ground Vehicle Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
4D Ground vehicle repair

(A)Hover Vehicle Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
4D hover vehicle repair

(A)Installation Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
2D Computer Programming/repair, 2D demolitons, and 1D in any two Engineering advanced skills, except droid or computer.

(A)Repulsorlift Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
4D repulsorlift repair

(A)Space Transports Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
5D space transports repair

(A)Starfighter Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
5D starfighter repair, 3D starship weapons repair. *Without weapons skill you can only design non-weapon systems, bonus only applies to non-weapon system repairs.

(A)Walker Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
4D walker repair

(A)Weapon Engineering (Hideouts & Strongholds)
5D in any two of the following: blaster repair, capital ship weapon repair, demolitions, starship weapon repair.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or XXX - Engineering where XXX is almost any Technical skill or Vehicle of your choice.

You will need to adjust a bit, e.g. First Aid needs to become something like Medical Instrument Engineering.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
The advantage to using (A) skills is that they are capable of doing complicated things at much lower difficulties. You do not roll your first aid to successfully apply trauma surgery, operate a Bacta Tank, or install a cybernetic replacement to your poor friend who's just lost a limb or had a failing organ. This falls into the realm of Medicine. A GM might allow someone with First Aid to attempt it, but at a ridiculously high difficulty, because it falls outside of the scope of the essence of first aid..

Nearly all the GM's i have seen who DID allow first aid to be used for Bacta tank ops, it was base 25 + the level of wounds being healed
Wounded +8
Incap +16
MW +24
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for my games, a character without medicine trying to operate a bacta tank is a base difficulty 31. Then I'll add in an undisclosed modifier of +5 - +10 depending on how likely the character has ever even seen one used. If someone wants to take the hit in their skills to be a doctor, then Joe Schmo off the street shouldn't have a snowball's chance on Mustafar of operating one.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat..

But back to (A) skills.

I have also (can't remember where off hand) seen some non tech related advanced skills. Biggest one was Interrogation (based off intimidation iirc).
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True dat..

But back to (A) skills.

I have also (can't remember where off hand) seen some non tech related advanced skills. Biggest one was Interrogation (based off intimidation iirc).
I think there was Acrobat, with a climbing/jumping prerequisite of 5D, and Sleight of Hand (or Magician. I don't remember which), with a 5D pickpocket prerequisite.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: