The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Specialization
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Specialization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Specialization Reply with quote

Two quick questions. First of all, can I jedi specialize in a certain type of sbaer, like Dbl bladed. I was told that jedi cannot specialize, but I wanted to make sure. Also if they can is that spcialization governed by lightsaber skill?

My second question parcticle weapons, is this a specialization under blaster or is it a seperate skill all together. If you don't want to type a response, myabe give me a page number I can reference myself.

Thank you for the patience,
Jatrell
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Specialization Reply with quote

I dont recall anything one way or the other as far as Lightsaber specializations. I'd say that if you want to allow Lightsaber specializations, go for it, and there isnt any reason it cant be done like any other specialization.

As far as I know, particle weapons falls under Blasters.

Here is a COMPLETE skill list if that will help:
http://theguild.tripod.com/starwarsskills.html
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Particle Weapons - they weren't really part of the RAW. Including extended universe (EU) and/or D20/SAGA sources seems to give conflicting results. If you look at Gry Sarth's weapons PDF, the Timms Emperor-4 Beam Tube is an archaic beam tube weapon is an archaic energy particle weapon. But the majority of the entries for particle weapons on page 73-74 are listed as a non-blaster skill either Charric or Particle weapons. In either case, it doesn't look like particle beams are a specialization of blasters. If you haven't downloaded Gry Sarth's PDF you should. You should be able to use search to find a link somewhere here on the forum.

re: Lightsabers - according to the RAW their aren't any "types" to specialize with. Also there is a natural concern that allowing specialization for a skill that already combines attack and parry with a single roll as opposed to blaster/dodge; melee combat/melee parry; and brawling combat/brawling parry would make the cost for increase too easy for a Jedi. As a GM just starting a group out,* I would avoid allowing a PC Jedi to save starting skill dice or CPs by specializing in lightsaber: single-bladed lightsaber or lightsaber: double-bladed lightsaber etc.

You can also read the rather lengthy threads on the topic for various pros and cons for dropping parry as a separate skill for melee or brawling as well as the pros and cons for adding lightsaber specializations, advanced skills, forms, etc. Again, I would tend to stick to the RAW for a while until both I, as a GM, and my players became familar with how the system works.*

* Not trying to tell you what to do. Just trying to temper the natural enthusiasm many of us (me included) get for our favorite rules tweaks.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsabers by the RAW don't get specialties. Though i have seen some gm's allow focuses of lightsaber such as Parry, bolt parry etc, but not specific types of lightsaber. IMO doublebladed, light whips and all the variants are different skills.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say something pertinent, but Bren already said it and a little more that I hadn't thought of.

So I'll say something that may not be pertinent:
According to most sources, blasters are particle beam weapons. Although not all particle beam weapons are blasters. I tend, in areas like this, to base my ruling off of whether there are significant differences in the use of the weapons. Firing a blaster differs significantly from firing firearms, depending on factors like the sideways kick of ejecting spent cartridges, bullet drop, recoil, (though atgxtg would likely disagree), and the heat and light of a blaster bolt. A blaster and a particle rifle of some design may not have significant differences.

Complete Starship Construction System
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Lightsabers by the RAW don't get specialties. Though i have seen some gm's allow focuses of lightsaber such as Parry, bolt parry etc, but not specific types of lightsaber. IMO doublebladed, light whips and all the variants are different skills.

Interesting subject. While I have allowed specializations for Lightsaber, Light Whip, Light Dagger, Dual Blade Lightsaber, and Extended Blade Lightsaber, its never really crossed my mind to allow specializations for parry or attack, . . . I've always used the Lightsaber skill to sum up non-projectile energy weapons. (Not including Vibro-weapons.)

If any of my players ever see this topic, they are going to have a hey-day!
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Last I checked, vibro weapons were not energy weapons... Confused
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Confused Last I checked, vibro weapons were not energy weapons... Confused
Well they require batteries to do there thing. Because they...you know...vibrate. Shocked

But joking aside, according to the RAW they class as melee weapons. And that's also where I put 'em.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm... ahem... right...

What I meant was, they do physical damage.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Erm... ahem... right...

What I meant was, they do physical damage.
Physical damage why then you must...no just can't go there. It's too easy. Laughing
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What threw me off is that dbl bladed sabers for example are listed as SKILL: Double Bladed Specialization. And I wasn't sure on the particale weapons. I wanted to list its governing skill as blasters, but I didn't want to make my character too OP. Thanks all
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Interesting subject. While I have allowed specializations for Lightsaber, Light Whip, Light Dagger, Dual Blade Lightsaber, and Extended Blade Lightsaber, its never really crossed my mind to allow specializations for parry or attack, . . . I've always used the Lightsaber skill to sum up non-projectile energy weapons. (Not including Vibro-weapons.)

If any of my players ever see this topic, they are going to have a hey-day!

I have done that three campaigns with little issue.. but in the campaigns where (as a player) i saw the gm allow all the above weapons to be covered under the LS skill and you could spec, even Non jedi became powerhouses in all the diff LS weapons.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd be more inclined to make double-bladed, light whip and the like advanced skills, rather than specializations. I think a specialization in these weapons makes them too cheap to master, when they're widely recognized as more difficult weapons than a standard lightsaber. Making them specializations means that a character can quickly learn/master them, rather than illustrating the dedication and effort that should be required to wield them with proficiency/skill.

Something like a lightdagger or extended lightsaber, I'd be more inclined to allow a specialization for, as they're really the same basic skill set as a standard lightsaber, they just represent slightly awkward uses of that design. A lightwhip or double bladed saber use fairly different motions to use properly, and have different properties and considerations than a single blade, whether that blade be short, intermediate or long.

Advanced skill progressions may actually make them TOO expensive to learn, really... probably the best solution is separate skills, with higher base difficulties to wield the weapons. Makes it costly to learn, but not prohibitively so.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precicely. Heck i could see even making (A) light weapons an advanced skill off melee to encompass all of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: