The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attributes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Attributes Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Attributes Reply with quote

Quick question,

Do you roll attributes with your skills (such as I got 4D Dex and 7D Blaster. Would I roll 11D or just 7D) Please give me immediate clarification.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the skill is an advanced skill then the attribute is part of the skill.

Dex 3D and 7D Blaster is usually listed as:

Dex 3D
Blaster 11D

It costs 11 character points to increase blaster to 11D+1 because the attribute is included in the cost of the skill as well.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well would an advanced skill be a specialization such as melee Combat: vibroblade? Im just trying to iron this out for my players who constantly debate me
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Unless the skill is an advanced skill then the attribute is part of the skill.

Dex 3D and 7D Blaster is usually listed as:

Dex 3D
Blaster 11D

It costs 11 character points to increase blaster to 11D+1 because the attribute is included in the cost of the skill as well.
Wait, WHAT!?

Aside from the fact that I don't think your arithmetic is adding up, you seem to be talking about improving skills, rather than rolling them.

Jatrell, you roll the skill without adding the attribute.

Complete Starship Construction System
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about rolling it in combat, not making a char at creation.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jatrell wrote:
Well would an advanced skill be a specialization such as melee Combat: vibroblade? Im just trying to iron this out for my players who constantly debate me
Melee Combat: vibroblade is a specialization. It's a skill within a skill, much the same way a normal skill rests within an attribute. An advanced skill is something like (A) medicine or (A) starship engineering. It is a highly specialized professional skill that usually requires a college education or an experienced teacher to acquire and only after filling prerequisite skills.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jatrell wrote:
I am talking about rolling it in combat, not making a char at creation.
Yes. I had a character for a long time with 7D blaster, 4D dexterity. He rolled 7D whenever he shot something, not 11D.

(He certainly would have rolled 11D if I could have pulled a fast one on my GM, but the examples in his old 2E rulebook were just to clear about that fact!) Laughing

Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really suggest buying the rule book.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I really suggest buying the rule book.
Yes. If for no other reason, than it makes such an excellent device for cranial kinetic information transfer when your players start getting out of hand.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help to clarify.. does he have 7d worth of skill IN blaster above the attribute, or has (as the example) only put 3 dice into it?
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I would like to say I don't appreciate all the "Buy the rulebook" comments. I have the 2nd Edition Rev and I have read everything regarding this matter. I have some people who play the game who are constantly arguing rules because they read this or that or you forum gods say do it this way when the rules say soemthing different (lightsaber cinematic combat for example.) So I am just trying to find a baseline of whats right and wrong. It does not help when jerks post a smartass comment just to up their post count. However, I do appreciate the insight from those who want to help. I think I Have this issue sorted out. So again, thank you again for those who actually use this site to help others.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, dude, calm down a little. One quick observation: if you ask a question be prepared to receive answers you don't like or expect.

I'm sorry if you took offense to any of the responses, but this is just about the friendliest board you'll find out there, and, believe it or not, folks here are just trying to be helpful.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its a little late to help with your original question, but I can share with you how my gaming group deals with problems that arise during play.

In my experience, the best thing you can do with any ruling is be consistant. As the GM, you should be the one making judgement calls on rules.

The standing rule with my group is this:
1. If you can find the rule in under a minute, we will go with the official rule. Dont EVER let being a rules lawyer get in the way of having fun.
2. If the rule cant be found in a timely maner, the GM makes the call. Period. At this time, write down your "new" rule.
3. Be consistant, if you make a judgement call, stick with that ruling for the remainder of your session.
4. Once the game is over, take the time to find the rule. Mark that rule in your book with a post-it note and be sure to go over it with your players next time you all get together. If you made the right call, great! If you didnt, then everyone will know where to find the rule next time. If for some reason, you cant find the rule, then keep your original notes so you can fall back on your original ruling when/if the issue comes up again.

If you cant be right, be decisive!
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Whoa, dude, calm down a little. One quick observation: if you ask a question be prepared to receive answers you don't like or expect.

I'm sorry if you took offense to any of the responses, but this is just about the friendliest board you'll find out there, and, believe it or not, folks here are just trying to be helpful.

Yep... chill a bit. I couldn't help but notice that most of the questions you've asked (at least that I've taken note of) are plainly addresses in the 2e and 2e R&E rulebooks, if not explicitly covered in the rules, then explicitly covered in the examples of the rules that they provide. It really seemed that you didn't have the documents to reference... hence suggesting getting them.

If that's offensive, well, so be it, but my mistake has been corrected now.

As for what we "forum gods" say, my suggestion is to ignore all the house ruling until you get the rules as written down. If your players are trying to bring in house rules, let them know that you're working with the standard rules for now, and to forget about the rule changes that we, the public, have brought forth. As GM, you're the ultimate arbiter of what the rules will be, and, imo, it will be easiest for you to get a feel for the game and run it well if you focus on the rules as they were written by WEG. When you're comfortable with those, and have a good sense of where the RAW strengths and weaknesses lay, then you'll have a good basis from which to assess and implement possible house rules.

This is my suggestion, obviously, take it, or leave it.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
my suggestion is to ignore all the house ruling until you get the rules as written down. If your players are trying to bring in house rules, let them know that you're working with the standard rules for now, and to forget about the rule changes that we, the public, have brought forth. As GM, you're the ultimate arbiter of what the rules will be, and, imo, it will be easiest for you to get a feel for the game and run it well if you focus on the rules as they were written by WEG. When you're comfortable with those, and have a good sense of where the RAW strengths and weaknesses lay, then you'll have a good basis from which to assess and implement possible house rules.

This is my suggestion, obviously, take it, or leave it.

Well said, and I can second that opinion.

One thing that might help. Bring your rulebook to work and start reading it a little bit each day during your breaks. I find that by reading the rulebook cover to cover a couple of times, then creating my own character to play through a couple of short stories usually helps me get a feel for a new system.

Also, I cant remember at the moment who has it, but someone on this forum has a "Quick Start - New Player's Handout" that summarizes the basic mechanics beautifully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: