The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upgrading ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Upgrading ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Upgrading ships Reply with quote

Do ships cost Character points to upgrade or money?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the RAW, upgrades require money and successful skill rolls for the appropriate skill e.g. upgrading a space transport's engines would require a space transport repair roll against the appropriate difficulty.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you use 1st edition, then you use CPs.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Unless you use 1st edition, then you use CPs.
Since I don't have the first edition, I forgot that, which reminds me of the following:

"If we had some bruallki, we could have bruallki and Menkooro…if we had some Menkooro.”
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back, I proposed the idea of allowing characters to transfer CPs to their ship so that the ship itself could use them for soak rolls, much like how characters use them. The transfer occurs between missions, so that a character during level-up can choose to transfer CPs from himself to his ship, in the form of personally performing regular maintenance, tinkering, etc. Kinda like Malcolm Reynolds' monologue at the end of the movie Serenity about how a ship that is loved can do more than a ship that is just a ship.

But apart from that, I think it is more realistic for a ship to be improved by credits than an actual CP cost to improve its stats.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Kinda like Malcolm Reynolds' monologue at the end of the movie Serenity about how a ship that is loved can do more than a ship that is just a ship.
I just saw that again last night. So good.

I do think that's an interesting way to do it. Would the player or the GM determine when the CP are used?

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Kinda like Malcolm Reynolds' monologue at the end of the movie Serenity about how a ship that is loved can do more than a ship that is just a ship.
I just saw that again last night. So good.

I do think that's an interesting way to do it. Would the player or the GM determine when the CP are used?

Not sure. I would think the PCs would do it, in the form of sweet talking the ship ("Hear me, baby? Hold together.")

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently reread a book which talked about why ships are given human names. I can't seem to find the quote online anywhere but it also made me think about the discussion of giving ships character points.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now Im doing the credit thing, and having the player (Who is a teachy/gearhead) make tech checks to install it. I thought I read somewhere (though in my ignorance I did not bookmark it) that it takes CP's. If it took CP's that would really put this player behind in skills so I decided to alowed the tech check rolls. I guess at the same time, Jedi characters are limited on other skills if they dump points in LS Skill and force attributes every game. I appreciate the help and any continued insight is always appreciated
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jatrell wrote:
Right now Im doing the credit thing, and having the player (Who is a teachy/gearhead) make tech checks to install it. I thought I read somewhere (though in my ignorance I did not bookmark it) that it takes CP's. If it took CP's that would really put this player behind in skills so I decided to alowed the tech check rolls. I guess at the same time, Jedi characters are limited on other skills if they dump points in LS Skill and force attributes every game. I appreciate the help and any continued insight is always appreciated

Back in 1st edtion, players impoeved ships by spending CP, just like they were imrpoving thier characters. Laster on, this got changed to credits.
If you saw CP somewhere, it was probably in a first edition rulebook or 1st edition supplement.

I'd advise caution with allowing characters to spend CP to imrpove thier ships. The biggest pitfall, IMO, is that there is no limit to the die codes achievable via Cps, and ypu could see PC ships with 10D Hull and/or Damage Codes!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just limit it like wiht spending credits. 1d+1 above base.
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with using credits completely. I may have read that CP rule in 1st edition. Thought I had 2nd so I will verify that. I also make the owner make a successful tech check to upgrade it himself. He has failed and looses the money and the component. I appreciate the insight. Always very helpfull
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with credits to do it, you don't have to worry about too many cp's being drained from the controlling pc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: