The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cloning for chars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Cloning for chars Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Cloning for chars Reply with quote

I am thinking of implementing a cloning penalty system rather than death and reroll. We all out a lot of time into these chars just to roll bad on 1 fight and get the old one s*** to the face. Please gimme feedback as GM's out there and let me know what you think.

If you die roll a D6. 1 dex, 2 knoledge, 3 str, 4 perc, 5 mech, 6 tech. You loose 1 point for whatever you roll for the cloning penalty. I still think this is a huge incentive not to die since upping attributes is so expensive. Let me know if you think there should be more of a penalty or if this just isn't advisable.

Thank you,
Jatrell
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not sitting on an old abandoned (working) cloning facility I guess that the 'in game' explanation for being able to routinely clone the characters is the only problem.

Also, what about all the stuff the character has learned? How fast will the clone grow? Wouldnt there be a few months of absence at least before the new clone steps in? Wouldnt this cost a lot of credits?

It also reminds me of the Paranoia RPG, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on what type of game you want...
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY dont like to kill characters if I can help it. After all, its about having fun and telling a good story. If one of my players characters falls in battle, I allow them a temporary wound, but that wound costs them a character point each round until someone can get to their side to help stabalize them. It tends to turn a bad situation into a desperate one.

This gives players a chance to save their character, but its at a steep cost. Its worked well for us on the few occasions its been an issue.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, unless they are continually going back to said cloning facility to update the flash engramming they leave behind, there will be gaps in what the clones know.
And heaven help the party if the enemy finds out about it.. As they can (and should) blwo it the frak up to deny the party any more clones..
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I ran a PC, I certainly would have abused the living daylights out of a cloning system. I would plan major sabotages with no exit routes, probably devise an effective plan to assassinate the Emperor, steal Star Destroyers by sneaking aboard and diverting engine coolant into the life support, and other things of that nature. Just by way of warning and all.

Complete Starship Construction System
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played in a game system that used cloning as a way to avoid death.

Eventually it made the game less fun as people would routinely commit suicide rather than face a long journey to get back to base.

Not that I'm suggesting that a system that you propse would lead to that but be very careful before you take the sting out of death. It makes the heroic last stand more of an inconvenience.

Also don't Star Wars clones age twice as fast?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloning for chars Reply with quote

Jatrell wrote:
I am thinking of implementing a cloning penalty system rather than death and reroll.
Are your games killing a lot of PCs?

Before adopting the cloning solution, you might want to spend some time analyzing why PCs are dying at a rate that you (and presumably the players) find unacceptably high. There may be some play or GMing style changes that will achieve your goal without having to add a mechanism for regular cloning with updates of the PCs.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also feel, with the WEG D6 system, a cloning systems would be really difficult to adapt.

As WEG D6 is a lot more storyline, campaign that it would be hard to accomplish. More then just stats and gameplay.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, even ADND one of the first game systems out there which allowed 'bringing back characters to life; still had caps on how often it can be done (Limited to the con score). I can see nothing but abuse here.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Heck, even ADND one of the first game systems out there which allowed 'bringing back characters to life; still had caps on how often it can be done (Limited to the con score). I can see nothing but abuse here.

I think you could circumvent the Con limit by using Resurrection.. The Con limit was for Raise Dead IIRC. Anyways, a rather 'weak' limit... Laughing
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No CON limit for Raise Dead in the original D&D rules, just a vague statement that "if the character's Constitution was weak, the spell will not bring him back to life" without any detail on probabilities or what "weak" meant. Of course you only had 4 days for every level of the casting cleric > 7th before the body was no longer mostly dead and became all dead, as it were. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I think you could circumvent the Con limit by using Resurrection.. The Con limit was for Raise Dead IIRC. Anyways, a rather 'weak' limit... Laughing

Incorrect. Raise dead and Resurrection are limited by your Con (initial). So at most 18 raisings.
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not opposed to character death especially if it makes the overall story better and if it's dramatic. For example if your fighting the main villain and your killed in some dramatic fashion, it makes the character's death more acceptable. At least this is the case with the group I GM for. They are cool with character death as long as they die well.

I usually will not kill my characters because they roll poor (though they don’t know that). They know they can die if they make dumb choices however. Anyway, that’s my 2 cents.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigkrieg wrote:

I usually will not kill my characters because they roll poor (though they don’t know that). They know they can die if they make dumb choices however. Anyway, that’s my 2 cents.

Are you sure they don't know you won't kill them just cause of a poor roll?
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I want death to be part of the game. Makes players think hard before they do something heroic seeing as it can end up being something stupid very quickly. But I also just didn't want them to take away all of their hard work. These characters require a lot of work. Not like D&D where you can roll a new char and instantly be equal to the group. Just trying to find a way around killing hard work is all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: