The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I wonder what the damage/range on those spinning blades of his were.

Don't know about damage, but range would be strictly close combat (Oddly enough, it's already been done in the EU, here. Check it out at 2:00).

However, if you look close at Maximilian's arm assemblies, he has three separate arms on either side. I would guess that his other options would include multi-function manipulators on one set with blaster weapons providing a ranged option on the the third set.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jarazix
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black hole could be made into a fun quest. A renowned scientist led an expedition to explore a force powerful space phenomenon. We'll say it was a long time ago, maybe the great hyperspace war.

You find him with the crew dead and a ship full of advanced battle droids, the scientist now a powerful force user somehow through experimentation with the phenomenon ( and quite mad ). With everyone there he wishes to become one with the power and go to the next step of evolution.

And of course, Maximilian his advanced, cortosis laced super battle droid.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through some of these questions now with my players, as they are starting to want to upgrade the droid they have, and perhaps buy an astromech, with certain functions (though they haven't decided what).

To upgrade the droid they have, I'm thinking of letting them buy software packages which have to be installed, either by themselves, or they can pay someone.

Packages would relate to whatever skills they want their droid to have. I haven't worked out prices for this yet, but obviously the greater skill level they want for their droid, the more expensive it will be.

Anyone done anything similar, or have ideas on prices?
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into 'Cynabar's Fantastic Technology - Droids'. You'll find everything you need in there. Right now, I don't have my copy at hand, so I can't post some tables of the prizes etc.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I'm going through some of these questions now with my players, as they are starting to want to upgrade the droid they have, and perhaps buy an astromech, with certain functions (though they haven't decided what).

To upgrade the droid they have, I'm thinking of letting them buy software packages which have to be installed, either by themselves, or they can pay someone.

Packages would relate to whatever skills they want their droid to have. I haven't worked out prices for this yet, but obviously the greater skill level they want for their droid, the more expensive it will be.

Anyone done anything similar, or have ideas on prices?

And if you really want your droid to be badass, try to find a scrapped assassin droid and use its skill programming....

Then you put that combat programming into your 2 ton armoured cargo droid equipped with an e-web and a rocket launcher.

And then hope the assassin droid personality matrix isnt hidden in the code... Laughing
Speaking from personal experience here.... Evil or Very Mad
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban... check your PMs.
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let me players have droids. One uses them to help with Astrogation. Another has an assassin droid that fits in the palm of your hand, but instead of toxins, it can inject bacta for healing. Another has a droid for beauracracy checks and such. The thing I had to stress is that droids are just that... droids. They only do what they are programmed to. They are not atonomous and have no sense of self preservation. One of my players lost a droid cause the last command I heard issue was follow me. The force lighting came down and melted it to the floor a few rounds later. Thats the way I impliment droids.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that both R2 and 3PO have shown signs of self preservation, but different droids have different traits, I suppose.

The droid my players have is one they found when they survived a crash. His a 'personal assistant' droid. They memory wiped him, and initiated his default personality, which was a 'snooty british butler' type (I had been playing Fallout 3 at the time).

So far, they've always left him on the ship, but now are looking to make him a little more useful, which I can understand, and it'll be useful for me to have an NPC with them sometimes.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I would argue that both R2 and 3PO have shown signs of self preservation, but different droids have different traits, I suppose.

That is probably inbuilt to most, if not all droids. A droid costs money and resources, and it's loss would inconvenience it's owner, so it makes sense for droids to be programmed to protect their own (metal and plastic) skins.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Threepio's most underused traits is his persuasiveness. It comes out most strongly in the radio dramas by Brian Daley, and there is an entire section devoted to Artoo and Threepio dodging stormtroopers, which they pull off very adroitly. In general, Threepio is portrayed as a nattering, uptight fool, while his talents in language and diplomacy are drastically underplayed, but I think this picture says it best.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: