The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarazix
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Droids Reply with quote

Ok so everyone wants their own personal R2-D2

How do you guys allow it to be improved? If the Character RP's their droid a lot do you ever give extra cp just for use on the droid? Do you have them use standard equipment improvement? Buy better programs?

Or are super droids just the realm of PC droids?

In one game we had a super temperamental black R3. R3-FU

Sometimes begging was necessary for it to do our astrogation.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handle droids two ways depending on if its someone's character, or if its someone's companion/property.

The first way is if its a personal character. I allow players to use Character points to upgrade skills.

The second way is if the Droid belongs to a character. In this case, I require my players to buy upgrades to their droid.

Check out Fantastic Technology: Droids. There is a lot of great stuff about droids in that book, including a chart to figure out how muchits going to cost to upgrade different aspects of a droid.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a cantankerous R2 unit who's never had a memory wipe. His stats are slightly above standard, except for his droid programming, which is very high. He's hacked himself to withstand memory wipes without really loosing any important information or aspects of his character.

As play progresses he'll starts accumulating CP at the same rate I would award them to PCs who did as little as he during an adventure. His stats will slowly increase.

Complete Starship Construction System
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my players is a tech junkie/gearhead. I let him roll to see if he upgrades successfully after the "owner" buys the necessary materials
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jatrell wrote:
One of my players is a tech junkie/gearhead. I let him roll to see if he upgrades successfully after the "owner" buys the necessary materials

That sounds like a reasonable approach.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Cyndabar's for both cost/rolls needed for making upgrades. BUT i also occasionally have imp security check droids to see whether they have had unlicensed mods.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Dependent NPC droid. He gets CPs on adventures where he does something important. That tends to be an overall rate of about 25% or less of what the player characters on the adventure get. CPs are used to improved existing skills. He has also had some upgrades, but those were either a modest new skill addition that the GM wanted to see or hardware additions like a shielded storage compartment - both were added by the cost method. His skills have not increased much in 10 years of play. Afterall, he's just a dependent NPC droid, he's not the hero of the story. Not even as much of a hero as R2-D2. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I run a cantankerous R2 unit who's never had a memory wipe. His stats are slightly above standard, except for his droid programming, which is very high. He's hacked himself to withstand memory wipes without really loosing any important information or aspects of his character.

As play progresses he'll starts accumulating CP at the same rate I would award them to PCs who did as little as he during an adventure. His stats will slowly increase.

Another fun mod featured in the X-Wing series is the reorganization of internal components so that restraining bolts have no effect, but do allow the droid to mimic the effects at will...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Another fun mod featured in the X-Wing series is the reorganization of internal components so that restraining bolts have no effect, but do allow the droid to mimic the effects at will...
Yeah. That's a good one too, but much harder for a droid to do to itself...

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall another line from X-Wing to the effect that Corran Horn suspected that Whistler regularly downloaded his personality (either as a whole or in sections) into the CorSec mainframe, so that even though his memory got erased regularly, he just went back to the mainframe, downloaded his personality and continued on like normal.

On another droid related note, I keep having this visual of a repulsorlift astromech droid based on VINCENT and BOB from the Black Hole. There are definite similarities and differences (an astromech could not legally be fitted with blaster weapons the way the robots are in the Black Hole), but the idea of a robot as a flying toolkit who can perform external repairs sounds very similar.

Plus, if your astromech has repulsorlifts, it's much easier to load it into your X-Wing's astromech socket...

Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I differentiate between droids the character own (for the household) and droids the characters take with them in an adventure (a R2-unit, which helps them in repairing, when they have no sufficient skills).
The owned droids can only be upgraded with credits. The 'adventure' droids gets half the CPs the owner would get, if the droid took part in the adventure. But the droid can only advance in skills, with CPs, only if he actually used that skill. Otherwise the char has to spend credits on improving the droid.
My players never complained about this system and they tend to develope a relationship to the 'adventure' droids (like Luke and R2).
If you think that this system favors droid owners, well if you only have 2 players, the droid can fill a gap in the skills of the players. If you have more players, well the group should be differentiated enough, that the droid and his skills will be redundant.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasriia wrote:
If you think that this system favors droid owners...
No that sounds fine. Very similar to what we do as well. Of course I may be biased since one of my charactes is a droid owner. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I recall another line from X-Wing to the effect that Corran Horn suspected that Whistler regularly downloaded his personality (either as a whole or in sections) into the CorSec mainframe, so that even though his memory got erased regularly, he just went back to the mainframe, downloaded his personality and continued on like normal.

On another droid related note, I keep having this visual of a repulsorlift astromech droid based on VINCENT and BOB from the Black Hole. There are definite similarities and differences (an astromech could not legally be fitted with blaster weapons the way the robots are in the Black Hole), but the idea of a robot as a flying toolkit who can perform external repairs sounds very similar.

Plus, if your astromech has repulsorlifts, it's much easier to load it into your X-Wing's astromech socket...

I would love a combat droid akin to bob or vincent..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I would love a combat droid akin to bob or vincent..

Advanced Combat Astromech, maybe? Perhaps the blasters could be included for the purposes of shooting mynocks off a ship's hull, as well as providing starship security when needed. Of course, this wouldn't stop enterprising droid owners from redefining what "when needed" means.

It'd probably be relatively expensive, maybe a droid offered as a competitor to R-series Astromechs that worked just fine but was way too costly for the average citizen? I have a copy of the Black Hole somewhere; I may have to go watch it and see what kinds of neat toys VINCENT is equipped with.

Now, if you want a cool straight-up combat droid, you can't go wrong with Maxamillion...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the damage/range on those spinning blades of his were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: