The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Cruelty of Crimelords
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Cruelty of Crimelords Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: The Cruelty of Crimelords Reply with quote

K... so my bunch of fringer players have been tailing a doctor who stole certain precious... things... from the crimelord they owe a shipload to... and they've been sent to bring back the traitor's head.

However having caught the good doctor they've found the reason he stole the goods was to pay the blood-debt he owed another criminal figure, a "thing-in-the-jar" villain who's son was accidentally killed by the doctor during a cybernetic procedure. The Thing-in-the-Jar promptly grabbed the doctor's daughter and demanded a massive weregild to pay for the death of his son, leading to the doctor stealing the precious things to pay for his daughter's return.

The first conundrum is pretty straight forward: do they keep to their contract and bring the doctor's head to their master, leaving his daughter to her fate? Or do they try and rescue the girl somehow as well as complete their bargain? These guys are good guys are heart, and it's fun watching them squirm.

More squirmsome though is The Thing-in-the-Jar. He has no intention of returning the girl in one piece... instead he has surgically removed various appendages and reattached them as fleshy appendages and parts on six droid bodyguards who are programmed to defend the crimelord. She's still alive, though her brain soaks in a jar not unlike the villain, able to communicate with the outside world through cybernetic implants, and believing she is still part of the world, tricked by sensory relays from the six guards. if the PCs hurt the guards, they hurt her. Second conundrum.

How they get her back in one piece is anyone's guess.....

Lastly, the PCs have been invited to attend an auction by the Thing-in-the-Jar, where they could buy back the precious things for their master. THe auction takes place in the Thing-in-the-Jar's lair.... a converted refinery in the midst of a polluted urban world, and a number of the pipes have been replaced with the same goop he swims inside his jar-bot, and he can move around the pipes to various escape routes if need be.

What I was hoping for here were some suggestions for little vignettes, characters and scenes that the PCs might see around the lair as they make their way to the throne room, things that will creep them out without going overboard... the only catch is I've got 25 hours til we start the game.

Go!

(and thanks!)
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this seems like the type of place you might find something wearing someone else's face, for starters... Maybe toss in some conjoined multi-brained cyborg chimeras? Maybe have someone selling their arm for spice outside? Just consider a literal interpretation of Lego Star Wars for awhile, and I think you'll have it.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to the Pit

Second, Creepy! So the Thing-In-The-Jar did the same thing to the innocent girl? Is there any chance of her getting her real body back? As far as the organic parts being surgically attached to droids, that's what Ionization Guns or DEMP Carbines are for.

As an aside, the Thing-In-The-Jar sounds like a B'omarr Monk. Have you done anything on his back story?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it might be worth checking out some of the imagery associated with the 40K faction/race Dark Eldar.

They do a lot of stiching people together in terrible ways.

Fabious Bile is another possible source of inspiration.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Maybe toss in some conjoined multi-brained cyborg chimeras?

Done.
Fallon Kell wrote:
Maybe have someone selling their arm for spice outside?

Or a bunch of arms that once belonged to other people... heh... an arms dealer.... (sorry).
crmcneill wrote:
First, welcome to the Pit

Thankye!
crmcneill wrote:
So the Thing-In-The-Jar did the same thing to the innocent girl? Is there any chance of her getting her real body back?

Not really... I imagined the Thing-in-the-jar as some sort of ungainly ungodly octopoid, who cruises around in his multi-limbed jar-bot bathtub cause it's easier then dragging yerself around by the tentacles. And really unwieldly ones too, like they were hand-operated animatronics out of the 80s, creepy in their uselessness...

There has to be a chance to make the girl whole again. I've got to give them hope (it's Star Wars, after all, not China Meiville). As long as they can collect the parts and the brain-in-the-jar and find a cyber-surgeon skillful enough, then yeah.
crmcneill wrote:
As an aside, the Thing-In-The-Jar sounds like a B'omarr Monk. Have you done anything on his back story?

I hadn't thought of the B'omarr... I'm riffing more of the Navigators from Dune more than the B'omarr Monks. Think more of organic hints in a massive translucent glass container, the horror of not-seeing.

As for backstory, this guy was more just an out and out up-and-coming villain. He's badass, growing powerful and cruel beyond measure. If I gave him a back story it'd give me reasons for the PCs to NOT blow him to smithereens. He's as black as they come. Best nip him in the bud.
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Perhaps it might be worth checking out some of the imagery associated with the 40K faction/race Dark Eldar.

They do a lot of stiching people together in terrible ways.

The trick is to do it Star Wars style.... I'm a fan of 40K, at least of Rogue Trader, unplayable as it is... but it needs to be done just right. But thanks for the images, I'd been drooling over the new Dark Eldar minis as a possible Blood Bowl team.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
So the Thing-In-The-Jar did the same thing to the innocent girl? Is there any chance of her getting her real body back?

Not really... I imagined the Thing-in-the-jar as some sort of ungainly ungodly octopoid, who cruises around in his multi-limbed jar-bot bathtub cause it's easier then dragging yerself around by the tentacles. And really unwieldly ones too, like they were hand-operated animatronics out of the 80s, creepy in their uselessness...

That brings to mind visuals of Sentinels from the Matrix, with a brain in a globe somehow inserted into the mix up front...

Quote:
There has to be a chance to make the girl whole again. I've got to give them hope (it's Star Wars, after all, not China Meiville). As long as they can collect the parts and the brain-in-the-jar and find a cyber-surgeon skillful enough, then yeah.

Have you already story committed to having her brain be extracted, too? It seems like having an innocent girl be permanently scarred in such a fashion is pretty dark for a classic SW campaign (unless you are deliberately scripting a pretty dark story). IMO, it would be easier to put her back together if she still had her body trunk intact with her limbs spliced onto droids.

But ultimately, even that sounds way too dark for Star Wars. If it were me, I'd go with some sort of experimental nerve induction, where the thing in the jar was using her as a lab rat for some new system he wanted to include in his cybernetic body, but that her body itself was still intact.

southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Have you already story committed to having her brain be extracted, too? It seems like having an innocent girl be permanently scarred in such a fashion is pretty dark for a classic SW campaign (unless you are deliberately scripting a pretty dark story). IMO, it would be easier to put her back together if she still had her body trunk intact with her limbs spliced onto droids.

But ultimately, even that sounds way too dark for Star Wars. If it were me, I'd go with some sort of experimental nerve induction, where the thing in the jar was using her as a lab rat for some new system he wanted to include in his cybernetic body, but that her body itself was still intact.

No not yet; and yeah it about as dark as you can get for SW. But it's only way I can think of to sell the vileness of this crimelord. It will make the calimari rings they serve at the victory bbq that much tastier.

If there was a means to eliminate the girls' memory of her time as a prisoner would that help?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw wrote:
yeah it about as dark as you can get for SW. But it's only way I can think of to sell the vileness of this crimelord. It will make the calimari rings they serve at the victory bbq that much tastier.

If there was a means to eliminate the girls' memory of her time as a prisoner would that help?

Well, if I've learned one thing during my time here, it is that everyone has their own different versions of the SWU, and those versions never match 100%. Yeah, this is pretty dark, but there is a basis for those kinds of stories in the SWU, especially with the Death Troopers novel. Don't go thinking you have to change something just because somebody here doesn't like it. If it is your goal to have a dark campaign, then this will certainly set the tone for it, as finding a surgeon good enough to stitch a girl's body back together (including putting her brain back in) could constitute an entire campaign in and of itself.

If you are looking for intermediate alternatives, however, I would suggest having the TITJ (Thing-In-The-Jar) already have done this nasty cyber surgery to several previous victims (and possibly subordinates), and be about to do it to the young girl, just as the heroes intervene. You can make the cyborgs/droids/whatever as creepy as possible to heighten the sense of urgency.

Ultimately, it's all about how you want your campaign to go.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps have some sort of memory elimination and a spathi cloaning cylinder standing by (hidden by the crimelord as a backup plan) so she can actually be given the choice of being put into a clone body but once that is done her new clone body will age twice as fast (unless they don't accelerate her growth and she has to start again from age zero)

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that comes to mind when you mention a thing in a jar with tentacles is a Celegian. I remember there was a Jedi Master in Tales of the Jedi who was of their race and traveled around in a giant glass jar. There are stats for them in Gry's Alien stats book. I'll quote them here though.

Quote:

Celegian
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D/3D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2/5D
MECHANICAL 1D/4D
PERCEPTION 2D/4D
STRENGTH 1D/4D
TECHNICAL 1D/4D
Special Abilities:
Broadcast Telepathy: As their primary mode of communication, Celegians can speak telepathically with any number of creatures within 500 meters. Anyone wishing to resist this telepathic communication must make an opposed Willpower or Control skill roll against the Celegian’s own Willpower or Control skill. This ability cannot be used to “steal” memories or information.
Excellent Swimmers: Celegian character gain a permanent
+3D bonus to their Swimming skill.
Story Factors:
Cyanogen Breathers: Celegians cannot survive without their native atmosphere. After being exposed to an oxygen atmosphere for 1 round, a Celegian must make a Moderate Strength check, with the difficulty increasing by +4 for every round past the first. If successful, the Celegian remains conscious, but must continue to make Strength checks until returned to its native atmosphere. Failure indicates that the Celegian falls unconscious, and takes 1D damage. This damage is increased by +1D for each round afterwards (cumulative). Exposure to the cyanogen atmosphere has a similar effect on oxygen-breaters. Celegians outside of their environment exist in transparisteel life-support chambers. These chambers have an effective Body Strength rating of 4D+2 when resisting damage.

Move: 6/8 (fly), 16/18 (swim)
Size: 1.7-2.2 meters
Source: Ultimate Alien Anthology (pages 29-30), Power of
the Jedi Sourcebook (pages 66-67)

Possible ideas are that the thing in a jar wasn't always evil. Maybe he was in some sort of accident that gave him neurological damage, which caused him to go insane. Perhaps there's a chance to bring him back from insanity and have him fix the girl? It is Star Wars.

I like mcneil's idea about having the party bust in just as she's about to be operated on also.

My thoughts on the party, if there are any force sensitive then leaving the girl and her father to their current fate would give them a dark side point. If they're generally good people, I imagine that they'd want to go and try to help the doctor get his daughter back, and figure out some way to trick the crime lord into believing that the doctor is dead. I'd be disappointed in my players if they didn't try to do the right thing, even if it's the harder thing to accomplish, that's part of what it takes to be a hero.

Very creepy idea. I hope it plays out well for you.
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven, thanks heaps, the Celegian is spot on. I won't be revealing what the Thing-in-the-Jar really is, but it fits the mould perfectly. I wonder what its average stats are.

The is one Force-Sensitive among the group, but she's pretty damaged goods as it is. Still she is a voice of reason and compassion in the group, and they're doing everything they can to rescue her.

Redeeming the Thing-in-the-Jar? As it stands he's the bad guy of the week, not the major villain of the story. I can't see redemption for him, unless its at the end of a heavy blaster pistol. But being the complete psychopath that he is, if he has his plans ruined by the PCs but manages to gets away he'll become obsessed with bringing them down...

mwahahahahaha. ah.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainstorm!

Foil stealth attempts with a thing with eyes in surprising places. Back of the head is traditional, but that thing with eyes in its palms from Pan's Labyrinth was pretty freaky.

Tubes acting as temporary (or not-so-temporary) replacements for absent parts. Think tracheotomy or those post-surgical drainage tubes.

A nurse feeding some horror by spoon, because the horror's hands are taloned, replaced by computer ports, or otherwise unusable for many mundane functions.

Island of Dr. Moreau: a dainoga, mynocks, or similar ickies given sub-human intelligence, rudimentary speech, dressed in suits, and trained to serve. To add pathos, make them visibly, govelingly grateful for being allowed to lift a tray of canapes to the unexpected but most welcome new parts shipme--excuse me, the PCs.

Intelligent aquatic species breathing air laboriously through a cumbersome prosthetic.

Something pleads piteously to be freed/rescued. It's willing to help, too, and wants to follow the PCs. But it also makes noises, gives off vomit-inducing smell, or otherwise proves accidentally troublesome. What force-sensitive hero wouldn't help, even if it means a -1d penalty here and there?

A person attached to a wall from the ribcage up; his bottom half is gone. He plays cards with the prototype head-in-a-jar, a hapless victim strapped to a boxy droid with spindly arms. As the PCs pass, they look up, and sadly, silently return to their game.

(Sounds like a scenario I'd like to play, by the way. Good job!)
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind when you mention a thing in a jar with tentacles is a Celegian. I remember there was a Jedi Master in Tales of the Jedi who was of their race and traveled around in a giant glass jar.

Golden age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire. Master Ooroo. Looks like a cross between a brain and a squid to me.

But the Celegian species does offer the players another option. Put on gas masks and kill the thing in a jar by shattering the jar. Celegian come from a world where the atmosphere is made of cyanogen gas, oxygen is deadly to them and they need containment units that place them in cyanogen gas to survive in an oxygen atmosphere. Bot the cyanogen is poisnus to oxygen breathers, hence the need for breath masks.

Another idea that just came to me was a Bomarr spider walker for the thing in a jar. Say Bomaar monks removed some crime bosses brain and placed it in a jar. Now the crime boss uses a spider walker to get around and interact.

Wanted Poster
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Another idea that just came to me was a Bomarr spider walker for the thing in a jar. Say Bomaar monks removed some crime bosses brain and placed it in a jar. Now the crime boss uses a spider walker to get around and interact.

That is quite similar to the initial plot of The Last Rebels PbPHP game on this forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: