The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmseith
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

I might sound a little anal by posting this but one thing bothered me, and later my players brought up the same question.

How can you run a smuggler's guild that actually has a code of ethics and still be affiliated with Jabba? Maybe another hutt I could see like Tiranga. But when you get to the part with Drake Paulsen being sent to Jabba for a year, even if it is penance, would they really deal with them?? Or is a smuggler with ethics ridiculous?

Also just started running with 2nd edition revised and expanded. Not sure if I am a fan of the firelinked rules. X-Wing fighter has 4 firelinked laser cannons, doing 6D damage. Now according to the rules I subtract 1d+1 (1d for the first 3 people +1 per the fourth), now subtracting this from 6D= 4d+2 per cannon fired. So why even fire them as firelinked aside from the bonus and lack of penalty?

Thanks and soory for being anal!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethics and morals are different. An ethical system can have significant gaps. Some people would offer personal injury lawyers as a good example of these gaps... Suffice it to say that a smuggler with ethics is not necessarily what you would call a "good person".

Complete Starship Construction System
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell is correct, there is a big difference between Ethics and Morals. Think of ethics as a code of conduct that assists a person in decision making.

For example: When Han Solo owed Jabba money. Jabba asked for the money before sending Bounty Hunters after him. It wasnt morals or a concience that kept Jabba from outright killing Han, it was his ethics. After all, if he killed everyone who made a little mistake without giving them a chance to fix that mistake, it would be bad for business.

As for the Fire Linked weapons. Its just a matter of how you use them. I've had players who never use the option, and others who love it. I know that I tend to use Fire Linked weapons when focusing on a single enemy, but when faced with week enemies in a target rich environment, I prefer to fire seperately.
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethics and moral remind me of AD&D. Like chaotic good vs. lawfull evil Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasriia wrote:
Ethics and moral remind me of AD&D. Like chaotic good vs. lawfull evil ;)

A good comparison, actually. When applied to the above examples, a Lawful Evil D&D character is someone who has ethics, but not morals.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:

As for the Fire Linked weapons. Its just a matter of how you use them. I've had players who never use the option, and others who love it. I know that I tend to use Fire Linked weapons when focusing on a single enemy, but when faced with week enemies in a target rich environment, I prefer to fire seperately.

IMO that boils down to whether you like a lot of "Gnat" bite hits, or one big smack.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:

IMO that boils down to whether you like a lot of "Gnat" bite hits, or one big smack.

True enough!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

wmseith wrote:
Not sure if I am a fan of the firelinked rules. X-Wing fighter has 4 firelinked laser cannons, doing 6D damage.
I house rule the firelinking as powers of two. Makes the math work out better.

So for us the X-wing can fire in three modes. Quad, Double, or Single fire.

Each single laser cannon does 4D damage. Each doubling of the number of weapons increases either the damage or the chance to hit by +1D.

So Quad is the normal writeup. 3D fire control 6D damage
Double is 4D fire control 5D damage.
Single is 5D fire control 4D damage.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
wmseith wrote:
Not sure if I am a fan of the firelinked rules. X-Wing fighter has 4 firelinked laser cannons, doing 6D damage.
I house rule the firelinking as powers of two. Makes the math work out better.

So for us the X-wing can fire in three modes. Quad, Double, or Single fire.

Each single laser cannon does 4D damage. Each doubling of the number of weapons increases either the damage or the chance to hit by +1D.

So Quad is the normal writeup. 3D fire control 6D damage
Double is 4D fire control 5D damage.
Single is 5D fire control 4D damage.

That makes sense to me. I've historically allowed un-linked torpedos and such for when you don't want to waste to torps on a one torpedo target, but my thinking hadn't yet gotten as far as unlinking laser cannons for better fire control.

Complete Starship Construction System
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

Ethical smugglers guild I ca buy, it's the ethical pirates part I have trouble with.

I thought the x-wings lasers default stats (6d damage) are for firing linked.

Empire's alignment: Incompetent Evil[/i]
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
Ethical smugglers guild I ca buy, it's the ethical pirates part I have trouble with.

Simple. Does the pirate have a code or standard that they follow, such as with regards to treatment of prisoners and the like? If so, they are ethical, if not particularly moral.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Simple. Does the pirate have a code or standard that they follow

The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Where have I heard that line said? It was like a movie or some tv show. I can just hear it being said, but I can't identify the voice or see whose saying it.

Wanted Poster
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Black Bha'lir (black Sands of Socorro) Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Esoomian wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Where have I heard that line said? It was like a movie or some tv show. I can just hear it being said, but I can't identify the voice or see whose saying it.

Pirates of the Caribbean (The first one).

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, just got a PM on the same thing. Sorry for derailing the thread, wmseith.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: