The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Points and metagaming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Points and metagaming Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Points and metagaming Reply with quote

When a character is about to do something you consider DSP worthy do you warn them? If so how?

In my mind Jedi have the least leniency with DSPs so if something might be worth a DSP then it probably should be a DSP however if they're about to do something that is worth of a DSP they should always get a warning first. No matter how much I feel that the player should know better.

I rationalize this by imagining that if the Jedi code has all sorts of rules to suppliement a character's morality then knowing those rules well would mean you'd know every time you're going to break them.

In game I'd probably say something along the lines of:

"You remember Master Generic Background Character's warnings The force should only be used for knowledge and in defence, never in anger. Your cheeks flush slightly when you recall the chidings you were given in front of the other padewan."

Characters with a more flexible moral code might get away with a little more than a Jedi would without getting a DSP but they wouldn't get a warning every time either.

What about in your games? How often do you warn people and what form do the warnings take?

Please note we're not discussing what is worthy of a DSP in this thread.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Side Points and metagaming Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
When a character is about to do something you consider DSP worthy do you warn them? If so how?

If its obvious then no. If its not that obvious I ask them to make roll a Jedi Lore skill test and depending on the result I warn them or not. The warning may be a clear message that what he/she is about to do is a walk down the dark path, or Im more ambigous.

As both, I mean the Jedi (one both turned and were taken by the Inquisition the last session) in our party has nada Jedi Lore its mostly trial by error when it comes to DSP warnings.. Laughing
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do warn my character's about darkside points. It does not matter usually because I allow them to play darkside characters. Sometimes, one or more of our players will be darkside which will create conflicts in the group. The players usually enjoy that tension and rivalry.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Side Points and metagaming Reply with quote

I warn. Usually if a player is making a move you consider stupid, they misunderstand the situation, and that is primarily the GM's fault.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a blatant evil act, skip warning go straight to acquire DSP. If not blatant, give warning.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: "Beware of the Dark Side" Reply with quote

Force-sensitive or not, I always give a warning to players playing PCs with no DSPs currently (with the opportunity to change their mind and declare another action). If a PC has 1 DSP, then I do not usually give a warning to represent the PC's loss of internal moral guidance just from starting down the path to the DS. If a PC has 2 or more DSPs, then I do not give warnings and I actively provide temptations and rationalizations to represent the influence of the Dark Side itself on the PC. Since I don't normally tell players what to do, it should be obvious what is occuring so that should in of itself serve as a warning to the player.

I do not allow DS characters, so I make all of these guidelines known to players up front. I expect that players will head the warnings and never even take that first step down the path of the DS. Most players do. If a player does knowningly accept his first DSP by going through with the evil action, then I expect the PC to begin to atone. In the rare cases a PC of mine even gets the first DSP, they usually do atone to get rid of it.

Since 1988, I've only had three PCs ever had more than 1 DSP at a time, and not surprisingly, all three eventually did cross over to the Dark Side, instantly becoming NPCs. The 1st player (a high school student) always argued with getting the DSPs so when he crossed over he still didn't accept it but I ripped up the character sheet in front of him and he never roleplayed with me again. The 2nd player intentionally crossed-over to the DS because he realized playing a Force-PC was not as fun as he thought it would be, so knew I would allow him to make a new non-Force character to replace the one that became an NPC. The 3rd player also intentionally crossed-over, but he did so because it was the last adventure of the campaign and it was very tragic anyway so did it for dramatic/story reasons.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting way to handle it.. base it on whether they already have any..
Jatrell
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately warn them if they think they are doing something righteous but the ends don't justify the means. But if it was blantently an evil act (intent to cause harm) anyone should know better.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I base it on three things. First, on how experienced and mature the player is. Players unfamiliar with the system and the movies need warnings at least until they understand the rules and ethics in play. Second, on how clearly wrong the action is. Murdering helpless, incapacitated prisoners or killing infants and small children - I am unlikely to provide a warning. These actions seem pretty clear cut. Using powers like force lightning - I may remind the player that such powers are of the Dark Side - though I may not tell them using a power that is of the Dark Side will net them a DSP. If there are some tricky ethics regarding using telekinesis to do damage - this seems like an area where it is fair to ensure that the player understands the house rules and interpretation. Third, like Whill, once a PC has gone down a dark path, warnings become much fewer and far between. In fact I will most likely try to tempt the player/character to take more actions that will result in a DSP. Though like Palpatine in the films, my temptation tends not to be very subtle.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a real pity the book didn't list more "concrete" situations that would give one.. over those which would not.. That imo would help a lot of newer folk into the game figure out what can and what cannot give a DSP.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Its a real pity the book didn't list more "concrete" situations that would give one.. over those which would not.. That imo would help a lot of newer folk into the game figure out what can and what cannot give a DSP.
I now tend to think it needs some sort of a revamp to allow for, or explain, what we see in the Prequels and TV shows and possibly a reinterpretation of what we see in the Original Trilogy. I don't know whether the solution is a list of what is and is not DSP worthy, whether it is an assignment of DSPips rather than DSPoints to a number of actions, or whether an entirely revamped mechanic is required.
dadofett
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I now tend to think it needs some sort of a revamp to allow for, or explain, what we see in the Prequels and TV shows and possibly a reinterpretation of what we see in the Original Trilogy. I don't know whether the solution is a list of what is and is not DSP worthy, whether it is an assignment of DSPips rather than DSPoints to a number of actions, or whether an entirely revamped mechanic is required.

d20 Core Rulebook gives some guidelines for awarding DSPs based on "Transgressions". The guidelines are separated by degree:

Major transgressions: always get a DSP.
-Using the Dark Side: explicitly calling on DS, using a DS-specific Force Power.
- Performing Blatantly evil act: killing or severely injuring an innocent character or character that is asking for forgiveness, trial, etc
-Allowing Blatantly evil act: allowing such a killing or injuring to happen

Common transgressions: probably will get a DSP, depending on intent.
-Using the Force in Pure Emotion: player specifically states character is feeling fear, anger, hatred, pride, jealousy, greed, vengeance, etc.
-Using the Force to Cause Harm: a non-DS specific Force power is used to harm a living being
-Performing a questionably evil act: killing or allowing killing of a blatantly evil character

Minor transgressions: should be considered for DSP, but usually won’t get one.
-Performing a dubiously evil act: killing an opponent in combat after ignoring opportunities to avoid it
-Using the Force to Cause Inconvenience: using Force Powers to cause problems for innocents.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. And really, it's as good a standard as any

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dadofett wrote:

-Using the Force in Pure Emotion: player specifically states character is feeling fear, anger, hatred, pride, jealousy, greed, vengeance, etc.
What about love or happiness?
dadofett wrote:

-Performing a questionably evil act: killing or allowing killing of a blatantly evil character.
This should read "murdering", since killing him in combat is a minor transgression, if even that.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
dadofett wrote:

What about love or happiness?

How about editing it to say "Dark Emotion", rather than Pure Emotion?

Quote:
dadofett wrote:

-Performing a questionably evil act: killing or allowing killing of a blatantly evil character.
This should read "murdering", since killing him in combat is a minor transgression, if even that.

I agree. We'd have a lot of PCs in trouble if that were the case.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: