The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can you dodge a force push?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Can you dodge a force push? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Some guy a few rows down yells "YES!"

Did you break out laughing in the theater?

The whole theater was in hysterics. I didn't even remember how the scene ended until I saw it again.

Quote:
It was an incredible contrived romance.

Yes. Apparently love in the SWU is similar to physics with regards to how closely it resembles reality.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I never said I didn't, merely that I was "leery" about it. I like a lot of the tech and I enjoy the saber fight scenes, but some of the acting and plots are pretty questionable. The Jedi generals are supposed to be the best and brightest of the Republic, but when I watch the Clone Wars, I see them making tactical blunders that I spotted five minutes before they did. I know the series is geared toward kids, but that doesn't mean that they should sacrifice attention to detail...
The TV show tactics seem no more blunder filled than those in the films. There are just more tactics to analyze. And the Jedi and the Clones may be the best and the brightest, but they are still none too bright. Of course their opponents are even worse...Roger Roger?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The TV show tactics seem no more blunder filled than those in the films. There are just more tactics to analyze. And the Jedi and the Clones may be the best and the brightest, but they are still none too bright. Of course their opponents are even worse...Roger Roger?

That is one thing I really enjoy about the Clone Wars series; playing up the battle droids for comic relief instead of Jar-Jar.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I don't have to see another C-3PO - battledroid hybrid. Rolling Eyes

Actually my wife loves the way Grievous keeps smashing his bridge droids whenever they do something annoying or just to relieve his frustration. Cracks her up every time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Actually my wife loves the way Grievous keeps smashing his bridge droids whenever they do something annoying or just to relieve his frustration. Cracks her up every time.

That and watching groups of battle droids do Three Stooges impersonations.

Also, an on-topic thought. It may be that, since Ahsoka is still a Padawan, her Alter skill is not yet high enough to do serious damage, so a Trandoshan with a high enough strength and a few CPs to spend could crouch down and dig in against the Force Push...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Also, an on-topic thought. It may be that, since Ahsoka is still a Padawan, her Alter skill is not yet high enough to do serious damage, so a Trandoshan with a high enough strength and a few CPs to spend could crouch down and dig in against the Force Push...
Could be and that would work from a game mechanics POV. Watch the scene if you get a chance. It looks to me like the affect goes right over his head and back like he ducked it rather than purely bracing himself. That's what actually surprised me in the scene.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
I wonder if it is Dodged, or an use of Melee/Brawling parry? Force Push seems to be used more like a long range reach attack than as a missile attack.
Fair point. I suppose it could have been the evasion/avoidance portion of a melee or brawling parry. And the way that Jedi push against each other with the ball of air/force/whatever that then blows both of them away from each other does seem like a parry more than a dodge.

But in the episode it looked like a dodge.

Also, he got hit once or twice with FP before he dodged, so its not like he was dodging from the beginning. It seemed like he learned to duck after Asoka smacked him a few times.

Id definitely say Dodge. Force Push has a range, albeit not to long, and is not a touch attack. Perhaps, if done while in melee it could be parried. In a similar way I let people parry blaster attacks if the attacker is in melee with the target.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I have been watching the Clone Wars TV show lately, and in the Season 3 finale: Wookiee Hunt, Asoka tries to use force push on one of the Trandoshan Wookiee Hunters who rapidly crouches down, ducking below the force push. Net effect, he dodges a force push.

Did anyone else notice this?

What do we think of dodging a force push?

Being it's a Cartoon, i don't put stock in what it has.. Just like how in the various Jedi pc games, you can use both light and dark side powers, in the RPG you can't.

So how i would go is book over pc game over cartoon.. Ergo no dodging force push. Just like no dodging force lightning.

As for giving it a dodge.. Is there a too hit roll??
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atgxtg, you just made me laugh out loud.
atgxtg wrote:

Still, the line worked...maybe I should try it out at the bars?

It depends... Are there many beautiful young women with brain injuries in the bars where you live?

Complete Starship Construction System
MasterGeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
I kind of like Willow too, . . .
You realize we were talking about the movie Willow, not the character on Buffy, right. Laughing

For me Willow (the movie) will always be remembered as the start of the over-exposure of Tom Cruise. Wink

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Legend? Tom Cruise wasn't in Willow.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

[quote="garhkal"]
Being it's a Cartoon, i don't put stock in what it has.. [/qoute]

That is a poor view. Just because something is animated does not mean that it is inferior or just for kids. Saturday morning TV has given animation a bad name.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I never said I didn't, merely that I was "leery" about it.

Oh, okay. I thought that maybe you had something against the series.

Quote:

I like a lot of the tech and I enjoy the saber fight scenes, but some of the acting and plots are pretty questionable.

I think the same about the films. As your theater experience seems to support. Overall, I think the acting in CW is better than in the prequels. But thats not saying much. I know Natalie Portman can act, but I'd be hard pressed to prove it with the prequels.

Quote:

The Jedi generals are supposed to be the best and brightest of the Republic, but when I watch the Clone Wars, I see them making tactical blunders that I spotted five minutes before they did.

Again, that is the setting. If the Jedi had thier act together they probably wouldn't fall to Darth Sideous. What kind of tactical thinker uses an army that they know was created by thier meortal enemies inthier name. The link from kamino to ango to Dooku is pretty obvious in Epsiode II, yet the Jedi allow themselves to trsut the clones so much hat they can be blindsided in Epsiode III.

I get the feeling that the Jedi probably are the best Generals in the Republic, but only because everyone else is even worse. For a setting with lots of conflict there is a noticeable lack of skilled tacticians. Even Han and Lando get o be general!.

or how about Tarkin? He looses the Death Star simply by failing to lauch adequate fighter cover. Hes commanding a huge station, with how many fighters on board, and yet Tarkin fails to lauch a single ship when attacked by a handful of rebel snubfighters?!Sound tactical thinking would have been to overwhelm the rebels with TIE fighters , and to have more fighters in space to prevent any rebel ships from fleeing. But then, if he had done that, the good guys wouldn7t have won.

SoI think the TV series is just like the films. For better or worse.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterGeek wrote:
Bren wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
You realize we were talking about the movie Willow, not the character on Buffy, right. Laughing

For me Willow (the movie) will always be remembered as the start of the over-exposure of Tom Cruise. Wink

Sorry, I get those two mixed up. Legend and Willow, not Tom and Val. So Willow was the start of Val Kilmer's overexposure. I didn't really like either movie.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:
Bren wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:

Sorry, I get those two mixed up. Legend and Willow, not Tom and Val. So Willow was the start of Val Kilmer's overexposure. I didn't really like either movie.

Of the Val kilmer films from the 80s and 90s, Willow imo is top.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Genius. Definitely Real Genius...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: