The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can you dodge a force push?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Can you dodge a force push? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

I have been watching the Clone Wars TV show lately, and in the Season 3 finale: Wookiee Hunt, Asoka tries to use force push on one of the Trandoshan Wookiee Hunters who rapidly crouches down, ducking below the force push. Net effect, he dodges a force push.

Did anyone else notice this?

What do we think of dodging a force push?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I have been watching the Clone Wars TV show lately, and in the Season 3 finale: Wookiee Hunt, Asoka tries to use force push on one of the Trandoshan Wookiee Hunters who rapidly crouches down, ducking below the force push. Net effect, he dodges a force push.

Did anyone else notice this?

What do we think of dodging a force push?

While I like some of what I see in Clone Wars, I'm somewhat leery of using it as an official source. However, in this case, I can see it working. I would consider Force Push to be an area effect weapon, similar to a shotgun or flamethrower, so that a target could potentially dodge a strike, but at increased difficulty...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Force Push is a focused, directional use of the Force. You might not be able to see a force push coming, but I dont see why a person couldnt try to get out of the way if they knew what to look for.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is Dodged, or an use of Melee/Brawling parry? Force Push seems to be used more like a long range reach attack than as a missile attack.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

While I like some of what I see in Clone Wars, I'm somewhat leery of using it as an official source..

Why not? it is from Lucasfilm, and George is taking an active hand in it, unlike most of the EU stuff out there that has been taken as "official". It's certainly better than most of the novels, games and comics. It's better plotted,scripted and acted, than the prequel trilogy, too.

Ahsoka isn't half as whiny as Anakin in Episodes II and III.!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I wonder if it is Dodged, or an use of Melee/Brawling parry? Force Push seems to be used more like a long range reach attack than as a missile attack.
Fair point. I suppose it could have been the evasion/avoidance portion of a melee or brawling parry. And the way that Jedi push against each other with the ball of air/force/whatever that then blows both of them away from each other does seem like a parry more than a dodge.

But in the episode it looked like a dodge.

Also, he got hit once or twice with FP before he dodged, so its not like he was dodging from the beginning. It seemed like he learned to duck after Asoka smacked him a few times.
MasterGeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Clone Wars being taken as official, I can't really comment as I haven't seen the show. However, my current group and I have decided to play Star Wars in a universe where George Lucas died after making Willow, so there aren't any prequels. Which I suppose means the Clone Wars cartoons must also not exist if you say he has a hand in them.

Oh, also hi, I'm the new guy!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterGeek wrote:
In regards to Clone Wars being taken as official, I can't really comment as I haven't seen the show. However, my current group and I have decided to play Star Wars in a universe where George Lucas died after making Willow, so there aren't any prequels. Which I suppose means the Clone Wars cartoons must also not exist if you say he has a hand in them.

Hi new guy. Why, oh why couldn't have been before making Willow. Laughing

Actually I am becoming less annoyed with the prequels overall, though there are still some scenes that are just teeth gratingly awful.
MasterGeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:

Hi new guy. Why, oh why couldn't have been before making Willow. Laughing

Actually I am becoming less annoyed with the prequels overall, though there are still some scenes that are just teeth gratingly awful.

Oh, because we all happen to love Willow. Heh.
The plot holes are so glaringly bad in the prequels that it would require characters to be mentally handicapped for the originals to have happened the way they did. Thus, the prequels never happened because poor George croaked. Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I may have shared this once before, but, oh well...

When I first went to see AOTC, one of the most "teeth gratingly awful" scenes was the scene on Naboo where Anakin is whining on and on to Padme about how every time he is around her, he is in torment. So it finally gets to the line where he says "If you are in as much pain as I am right now, tell me."

Some guy a few rows down yells "YES!"

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

While I'm not a huge fan of Episode I but it is bearable, I thought Episode II was alright, and to be honest, I really enjoyed Episode III. That puts Episode III on par with Episode IV and Episode V in my book, but Return of the Jedi is still my favorate!

I kind of like Willow too, . . .
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
I kind of like Willow too, . . .
You realize we were talking about the movie Willow, not the character on Buffy, right. Laughing

For me Willow (the movie) will always be remembered as the start of the over-exposure of Tom Cruise. Wink
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterGeek wrote:
However, my current group and I have decided to play Star Wars in a universe where George Lucas died after making Willow, so there aren't any prequels.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Funny.

But...

1) If you are playing in a Star Wars universe, then what difference would it make when George died?

2) Even assuming that you cut the prequels from the time line (not a bad idea), you still have the Clone Wars and such in the time line, courtesy of the original trilogy, so you still got some sort of Clone Wars in your backstory.

3) And even if George "died" whats to stop his hiers and the studip from continuing on without him. After all, no George means more profits for the rest of them. So your "Universe" might have even worse ( Shocked ) prequel movies!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you dodge a force push? Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Why not? it is from Lucasfilm, and George is taking an active hand in it, unlike most of the EU stuff out there that has been taken as "official". It's certainly better than most of the novels, games and comics. It's better plotted,scripted and acted, than the prequel trilogy, too.

I never said I didn't, merely that I was "leery" about it. I like a lot of the tech and I enjoy the saber fight scenes, but some of the acting and plots are pretty questionable. The Jedi generals are supposed to be the best and brightest of the Republic, but when I watch the Clone Wars, I see them making tactical blunders that I spotted five minutes before they did. I know the series is geared toward kids, but that doesn't mean that they should sacrifice attention to detail...

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Some guy a few rows down yells "YES!"

Did you break out laughing in the theater?

It was an incredible contrived romance. Teenage boy "falls" for a hottie who he hasn't seen in 10 year, yet suppodly was in love with. Strangely enough, she has a thing for him despite the fact that he was a child when she last saw him.
It would have been different if they had grew up together.

Still, the line worked...maybe I should try it out at the bars?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: