The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stunning A Droid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Stunning A Droid Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Stunning A Droid Reply with quote

So, I know none of us knows for certain exactly what constitutes a blaster bolt, or what allows blasters to have a stun setting, but I'm curious if any of you allow Stun settings to affect droids, ala a DEMP blaster, and if so, how?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had that come up. But I don't think a blaster stun setting is the same as a DEMP or Ion setting - both of which disable or stun droids. Not sure if I'd treat a blaster stun as damage to a droid or no effect.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GM of mine in the past said ruled that shooting a droid with a blaster set on stun still worked (although at half damage) because bored ne'er-do-wells would blast droids with the stun setting all the time just for kicks.

I didn't agree at the time (although I couldn't fault his logic) and I still don't really agree now.

It has been discussed in another thread but I can't remember what it was called.

Oh here it is:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2875

There was another one too where someone considered droids being unable to be stunned by regular (non-ion) weapons and advantage but I pointed out that just meant no-one ever tried to subdue a droid character and it always got the kill setting instead.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say this is an excellent opportunity for a GM to come up with creative and unpredictable results.

Complete Starship Construction System
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has always treated a Stun shot like a stun gun of sorts. By hitting an organic character, that character is stunned. On the other hand, droids would have components designed to withstand electrical discharges and therefore stun has never had an effect on droids in our games.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
My group has always treated a Stun shot like a stun gun of sorts. By hitting an organic character, that character is stunned. On the other hand, droids would have components designed to withstand electrical discharges and therefore stun has never had an effect on droids in our games.

I would think humans have components designed to withstand electrical discharges too, since tazers, wall sockets, and lightning bolts are usually survivable...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I would think humans have components designed to withstand electrical discharges too, since tazers, wall sockets, and lightning bolts are usually survivable...
I wouldn't say "designed to withstand" rather are able to survive. Wink Based on a quick google search it looks as though most people hit by lightning survive (mortality rate of 25-34%) but there is a high rate of permanent injury among the survivors (74%). So it sounds like the odds of coming away as good as new is about one-in-five (18-20%). I'm not liking those odds.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run a strong current through a person, it does damage. A small ammount of damage might stun or disorient you for a while, a large ammount could hurt or even kill you. Thats why stun damage works on a person in our games.

On the other hand, a machanical item like a computer or blender is desigened to carry a current, and if that current is too strong, they are designed to discharge that current (surge protectors, ground wires, etc.) I figure that droids would have some method to discharging a current in the same way. This is why stun damage dosnt affect droids in our games.

Thats the logic behind our house rule anyway. Its worked well so far.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
I wouldn't say "designed to withstand" rather are able to survive. Wink Based on a quick google search it looks as though most people hit by lightning survive (mortality rate of 25-34%) but there is a high rate of permanent injury among the survivors (74%). So it sounds like the odds of coming away as good as new is about one-in-five (18-20%). I'm not liking those odds.

Yeah, that's true. I just figure that a droid would suffer similar damage, both from the lightning and from the stun blast. I just think that a stun blast, designed to disable humanoids, would have unpredictable results on droids.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Yeah, that's true. I just figure that a droid would suffer similar damage, both from the lightning and from the stun blast. I just think that a stun blast, designed to disable humanoids, would have unpredictable results on droids.

But that all presupposes that a stun blast is purely electrical in nature. What if it is actually an EMP blast of some kind? That would tend to make a droid more vulnerable, not less.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

But that all presupposes that a stun blast is purely electrical in nature. What if it is actually an EMP blast of some kind? That would tend to make a droid more vulnerable, not less.

But we don't know. That's why I wouldn't want to make them more or less vulnerable, just differently vulnerable.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
But we don't know. That's why I wouldn't want to make them more or less vulnerable, just differently vulnerable.

Exactly. Has anyone ever read anything about droids and damage in the RAW? I can't recall anything...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i mentioned in that other thread linked, stun no affect droids.. Ion does.. THAT is your stun weapon of choice.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
If you run a strong current through a person, it does damage. A small ammount of damage might stun or disorient you for a while, a large ammount could hurt or even kill you. Thats why stun damage works on a person in our games.

So stun damage is just regular damage but less of it so it is likely to stun rather than kill?

Does that mean that rolling a high number on a stun attack and the target rolling a low soak results in the target taking real damage?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:

So stun damage is just regular damage but less of it so it is likely to stun rather than kill?

Does that mean that rolling a high number on a stun attack and the target rolling a low soak results in the target taking real damage?

Maybe their Stun setting is simply better than our "modern" stun guns?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: