The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Best Supplements for Revised and Expanded
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Best Supplements for Revised and Expanded Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Best Supplements for Revised and Expanded Reply with quote

Pretty much what the title says. Which supplements do people rate well? I realise a lot will be dependant on the campaign that will be run but are there any really great ones to go for and others to avoid?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my list of "Must Have" books (No particular order):

Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
Imperial Sourcebook
Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook
Tales of the Jedi Companion
Pirates & Privateers
Fantastic Technology
Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
Fantastic Technology: Droids
The Star Wars Planets Collection
Alien Encounters
Stock Ships
GG6 Tramp Freighters
GG9 Fragments from the Rim
GG10 Bounty Hunters
GG11 Criminal Organizations
Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook

There are a lot of very good books out there, but the ones listed above see use in almost all of my campaigns, regardless of era.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:

Imperial Sourcebook
Pirates & Privateers
Fantastic Technology
Alien Encounters
Stock Ships
GG6 Tramp Freighters
GG10 Bounty Hunters

There are a lot of very good books out there, but the ones listed above see use in almost all of my campaigns, regardless of era.

I would also add Rules of Engagement and The Far Orbit Project

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:

Imperial Sourcebook
Pirates & Privateers
Fantastic Technology
Alien Encounters
Stock Ships
GG6 Tramp Freighters
GG10 Bounty Hunters

I would also add Rules of Engagement and The Far Orbit Project

Rules of Engagement is already on the list. And yes, the Far Orbit Project is another exelent book, think of it as a companion book to the Pirates & Privateers book.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Rules of Engagement is already on the list. And yes, the Far Orbit Project is another exelent book, think of it as a companion book to the Pirates & Privateers book.

My bad. I just cashed in on a massage that someone pre-paid for my birthday, so if you asked me my own name right now, I'd probably have to get back to you.

Other suggestions would be Platt's Smuggler's Guide, which provides some serious detail on creating a Smuggler character, and Hideouts & Strongholds is great for building bases, or for providing settings.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'd like to reply that 2E R&E is still 2nd edition, so the 'best 2E books' are equally best if using 2E or R&E.

In no paticular order, some 2E books I suggest are:

The Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook - glossy, full-color companion to R&E rule book
Gamemaster Screen, Revised (1996) - updated for R&E, virtually all PC templates (here with pics) from 1E and first 2E core rules that were not included in the R&E book, plus lots of goodies like in-universe customizable starship ownership and piloting license documentation forms.
Alien Encounters - almost every single sentient alien species that WEG ever published except for what's in GGs 4 and 12 (but AE includes a index that includes all 3 alien books)
GG4 and GG 12: the 2 alien GGs - Some major species are included in these, so I suggest these in addition to AE above (but if only getting or starting with 1 alien book, then AE gives you the most bang for your buck)
The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook - GM sourcebook on the Alliance to Restore the Republic
Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook - player-focused guide on SpecForce with 7 templates (1 for each regiment)
GG6 Tramp Freighters - running smugglers anywhere, and running any kind of adventures taking place in in the Minos Cluster
Platt's Smugglers Guide - creating developed backgrounds for and playing smugger PCs, many cool smuggler PC templates
Heroes & Rogues - cool general PC background development section plus over 60 PC templates.
Pirates and Privateers- GM and player info/templates for pirate characters
Player's Guide to Tapani - player info on the Tapani Sector and over 30 new PC templates, many of which can easily be aapted for use outside of the Tapani Sector
Lords of the Expanse - awesome box set for GMs running any kind of adventures involving the Tapani Sector, includes source material, adventures, campaign ideas, and color maps. All WEG's Tapani stuff is well done.
Mos Eisley Adventure Set - box set nice for runing games taking place in Mos Eisley - includes GG7, large 2-sided color map, metal minatures and adventure booklet unique to this box (get essential GG 7 book seperately if can't get box)
Classic Adventures, Vol. 2 - includes classic 1E adventure modules Riders of the Maelstrom, Death in the Undercity (Calamari), and Tatooine Manhunt (a valuable source on many aspects of adventuring on the planet Tatooine in general), all updated to 2E
Classic Adventures, Vol. 5 - includes 1E adventure modules Starfall (adventuring on a damaged victory-class star destroyer), Strikeforce: Shantipole (recovering an expanded B-Wing prtotype in the Verpine species home system) The Game Chambers of Questal, all updated to 2E
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:

My bad. I just cashed in on a massage that someone pre-paid for my birthday, so if you asked me my own name right now, I'd probably have to get back to you.

Other suggestions would be Platt's Smuggler's Guide, which provides some serious detail on creating a Smugglet character, and Hideouts & Strongholds is great for building bases, or for providing settings.

Well, happy birthday!

The Platt's collection has a wealth of resoruces for smuggler characters, including the Smugglers Guide and Starport Guide.

Hideouts & Strongholds is a great resource for building bases, including several good examples. If you want some quick setting material, its a good place to start.

With all of that said, I really cant think of a single book by WEG that isnt useful from time to time.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that the droids/equipment/alien books aren't a priority because they've been collected together as fan made ones?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
I take it that the droids/equipment/alien books aren't a priority because they've been collected together as fan made ones?

Yes, if you are making use of the stat collection pdfs, it makes the starship, alien and equipments pretty much obsolite. Personally, I like the hard copy for when I am playing, but make use of the pdfs when I'm looking for something on my own.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Supplements for Revised and Expanded Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
Pretty much what the title says. Which supplements do people rate well? I realise a lot will be dependant on the campaign that will be run but are there any really great ones to go for and others to avoid?

Code:
Imperial Sourcebook
Pirates & Privateers
Fantastic Technology
Alien Encounters
Stock Ships
GG6 Tramp Freighters
GG10 Bounty Hunters

I would also add
Scouts (GG8)
Aliens (GG4) and
Heroes and rogues..

Quote:

Yup. IF using those downloaded PDFs, i would go with

Rules of engagement
All the platts.
GG 6 tramp freighters
GG7 Fragments from the rim
GG 8 Scouts
GG 10 bounty hunters
Imp and Reb sourcebook
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy using the Wretched Hives of Scum and Villany. I have used the book to create many colorful cantinas and locations for my players to explore and interact with.
MasterGeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Cowboy Hat wrote:

Yes, if you are making use of the stat collection pdfs, it makes the starship, alien and equipments pretty much obsolite. Personally, I like the hard copy for when I am playing, but make use of the pdfs when I'm looking for something on my own.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a newb to this site, and haven't played Star Wars for years. What are these .pdfs being referenced?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterGeek wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
Cowboy Hat wrote:

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a newb to this site, and haven't played Star Wars for years. What are these .pdfs being referenced?

There are no stupid questions, except perhaps, "Why a duck?"

A while back, Thiago "Gry Sarth" Aranha took the time to collect all of, . . . well, everything into individual lists. There is a complete list for Aliens, Creatures, Droids, Equipment, Starships, Vehicles, Weapons, and Force Powers. All of these lists include full stats, most entries have pitures, and each entry lists the original source of the stats.
http://krapz.free.fr/
MasterGeek
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
Cowboy Hat wrote:

There are no stupid questions, except perhaps, "Why a duck?"

A while back, Thiago "Gry Sarth" Aranha took the time to collect all of, . . . well, everything into individual lists. There is a complete list for Aliens, Creatures, Droids, Equipment, Starships, Vehicles, Weapons, and Force Powers. All of these lists include full stats, most entries have pitures, and each entry lists the original source of the stats.
http://krapz.free.fr/

Thank you! Oh, and the answer is "When one leg is as long as the other."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guides of Gry's are some of the best work i have seen for SW.. fan made or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: