The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tramp Freighters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Tramp Freighters Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

I've managed to pick up another copy of revised and expanded to replace my hinge broken one - it came with a copy of Tramp Freighters included in the auction.

Now it's the first edition, and I know there was a second edition released 4 years or so later - however, I don't know much about the books (I imagine they're ship related though).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the first edition is compatible and worth keeping or whether I should pass it on to someone who plays and earlier edition of SW?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
I've managed to pick up another copy of revised and expanded to replace my hinge broken one - it came with a copy of Tramp Freighters included in the auction.

Now it's the first edition, and I know there was a second edition released 4 years or so later - however, I don't know much about the books (I imagine they're ship related though).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the first edition is compatible and worth keeping or whether I should pass it on to someone who plays and earlier edition of SW?

You should keep Tramp Freighters if you plan on running any cargo transporter/free trader/smuggler campaigns and don't mind converting the game stats to 2E yourself. Even without a smuggling campaign, it is a good sourcebook for the major planets of the Minos cluster so there is valuable setting info, but you'd still have to convert some stats if you wanted to run anything taking place in that sector and use the provided ships and charaters. Converting stats from 1E to 2E is cake so you may not feel the need to get the 2E version of the book.

Just look it over when you get it and then decide if you think you might use it before giving it away. Personally I love this book, but I'm O/C about having every 2E book made (and then only have 1E material that was never re-released in any form under 2E). So I upgraded GG6 to 2E, but you may feel it is not necessary to do so.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm O/C about having every 2E book made.

And I thought I was the only one, . . . . Unfortunately, I wasnt able to stop with just the 2E books, I had to go looking for all the 1E books that never made the transition between editions as well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:

I haven't gotten a look at the 1E Tramp Freighters, but I have heard good things about it. I've been shopping for an inexpensive copy on line, but no luck so far. Based on what I've heard, it seems as if WEG had a perfectly functional starship upgrade system with the 1E system, then got a little over-ambitious with the 2E upgrade.

As far as 2E books, I have everything but Galaxy Guides 1, 3 and 5 (which are superfluous if you have either of the movie trilogy sourcebooks). I'm also missing the 1E adventures Scavenger Hunt and Battle for the Golden Sun, but one day...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Whill wrote:

And I thought I was the only one, . . . . Unfortunately, I wasnt able to stop with just the 2E books, I had to go looking for all the 1E books that never made the transition between editions as well.

I did the exact same thing. If a book was available in 2E, I bought it. I skipped all the 1E adventure modules that were covered by the Classic Adventures books. I even picked up the 1E and 2E copies of the main rulebook for reference purposes. And all 15 copies of the Adventure Journal...

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tramp Freighters Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
Whill wrote:

I did the exact same thing. If a book was available in 2E, I bought it. I skipped all the 1E adventure modules that were covered by the Classic Adventures books. I even picked up the 1E and 2E copies of the main rulebook for reference purposes. And all 15 copies of the Adventure Journal...

Sounds like me! I love the old Adventure Journals. And I still have an old copy of both the 1st and 2nd edition books on my shelf beside five copies of the R&E book.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five copies? I just needed the one...

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Five copies? I just needed the one...

I have my trash copy that is pretty banged up and stuffed with bookmarks and slips of paper with notes on them.

I have MY copy that is in prestine condition which I use when Storytelling.

Then I have three copies for guests.

I always keep my eyes pealed for cheap copies of the R&E book. There is a second hand book store that sells roleplaying books for $8 no matter what they are. I've found several copies there over the years. I pick up every cheap copy I can find because I have a nasty habit of giving them away to anyone who joins our gaming group on a simi regular basis.

Last edited by Guardian_A on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm O/C about having every 2E book made (and then only have 1E material that was never re-released in any form under 2E).

Guardian_A wrote:
I had to go looking for all the 1E books that never made the transition between editions as well.

crmcneill wrote:
If a book was available in 2E, I bought it. I skipped all the 1E adventure modules that were covered by the Classic Adventures books... And all 15 copies of the Adventure Journal...

Yup.

crmcneill wrote:
I even picked up the 1E and 2E copies of the main rulebook for reference purposes.

I still have those as well, except that I am a first generation WEG Star Wars GM who has had them since they each first came out. I also still have my original Rules Companion which with 1E made "Edition 1.5". I did go back in later years and buy the 3 Miniatures Battles books that comprise 2E MB rules, the 2 Live Action Adventure rule books, and the Adventure Game box set, all just for reference (but the Adventure Game has some useful maps and cards though).

crmcneill wrote:
As far as 2E books, I have everything but Galaxy Guides 1, 3 and 5 (which are superfluous if you have either of the movie trilogy sourcebooks).

I don't entirely agree. The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook compiles most of the stuff from the original 1E versions of GGs 1, 3 and 5 (of course upgraded to 2E), but there are a few things missing. The 2E versions of GGs 1, 3 and 5 keep that missing material but also add adventures which are not in the 1E versions or the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook. The Trilogy Sourcebook ("Special Edition") is partially based on the three GGs but also on the original Star Wars Sourcebook 2E, except that there is still some original material not present in either, and it is a glossy full-color book like R&E.

Conclusion: If you are a "all 2E + 1E stuff never republished" type of completist (it seems I'm not the only one), then do not get the 1E versions of GG 1, 3 and 5 or The Star Wars Sourcebook. And do not get the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook. Do get the 2E version of GGs 1, 3 and 5, The Star Wars Sourcebook 2E, and the Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook ("Special Edition"). My favorite out of all of those is the last one, mainly for the superb R&E presentation.

Guardian_A wrote:
And I still have an old copy of both the 1st and 2nd edition books on my shelf beside five copies of the R&E book.

And some thought I was crazy for having 3 copies. But only 1 of mine (my original copy) is on my shelf. My other 2 are spread out around my house for quick and easy access!

Guardian_A wrote:
I have my trash copy that is pretty banged up and stuffed with bookmarks and slips of paper with notes on them.

I have MY copy that is in prestine condition which I use when Storytelling.

Then I have three copies for guests.

I always keep my eyes pealed for cheap copies of the R&R book. There is a second hand book store that sells roleplaying books for $8 no matter what they are. I've found several copies there over the years. I pick up every cheap copy I can find because I have a nasty habit of giving them away to anyone who joins our gaming group on a simi regular basis.

A man after my own heart. I also buy copies of R&E (and the aforementioned companion Trilogy Sourcebook) whenever I find them (I have several second-hand book stores in my area). Never paid more than $9.98. I have given away several copies of those books over the years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might get into the buying and selling of the core rule book.

Whilst I don't want to be one of "those" ebayers - I've just picked up a third copy (I'm looking for that mint copy) of R&E and am selling my hinge broken one on ebay. The third copy seems to be in very good condition and I got it with the TF book as I've said but man, there seems to be a copy of R&E going for £44.00+ at the moment with still a day left on it. A quick conversion into US dollars is....*blah blah carry the two* a hell of a lot of dollars!

That being said...I am very careful I'm not going to fall into the trap of "must buy everything" - my Ikea billy book cases are already full of rpg games. And as my wife quite rightly points out "They're my bloody book cases!".

Still...there's so many books I'm tempted by. Hence other thread I started really.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I grab everything I can, when I can. I still use a number of 1st Ed rules--especially out of the Rules Companion --& conversion is a snap should it be needed. I still have a copy of Star Warriors that I use for mass starship combat.
...The 1st Ed. Tramp Freighter Captains book had stuff that wasn't in the 2nd Ed. & vice-versa. It's worth getting both if you can.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...I grab everything I can, when I can. I still use a number of 1st Ed rules--especially out of the Rules Companion --& conversion is a snap should it be needed. I still have a copy of Star Warriors that I use for mass starship combat.
...The 1st Ed. Tramp Freighter Captains book had stuff that wasn't in the 2nd Ed. & vice-versa. It's worth getting both if you can.

I've never even heard of the Tramp Freighter Captains book. It isn't on the WEG catalog. Is it possible that it got converted into Platt's Smuggler's Guide?

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
schnarre wrote:

I've never even heard of the Tramp Freighter Captains book. It isn't on the WEG catalog. Is it possible that it got converted into Platt's Smuggler's Guide?

I think he means Tramp Freighters, the book referred to in the title of this thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if he meant Tramp Freighters, then why didn't he write Tramp Freighters? Hence my question, because I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some super-rare supplemental source.

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Well, if he meant Tramp Freighters, then why didn't he write Tramp Freighters? Hence my question, because I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some super-rare supplemental source.

That was my first thought too. "Holy crap, a book I dont have! Wait a minute, . . . "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: