The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Training for a Padwan.... Ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Force Training for a Padwan.... Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR Dragon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Force Training for a Padwan.... Ideas Reply with quote

Hello Everyone this is my first posting here, I just started GMing a SWD6 game and the first ran swell with the help of mister instant adventures.

Now we are moving on into the adventures that I am working on and I have run into something of a stumper. I have a player of a padwan who fled with his master when all the order 66 hit the fan. The kid watched in hiding while his master was killed and his lightsaber taken as proof of the killed by a team of bounty hunters. Now having fled the planet and join up with a small reb cell I am wondering what kind of teacher can I arrange for him that wouldn't result in a big bad jedi around taking the stage from the players.

Can anyone offer me help with some ideas?
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm a holocron could be an answer - or maybe a teaching droid rescued from Jedi School ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also have the Failed Jedi type. An alcoholic old man who's passed out most of the time. Maybe he doesn't know too many force powers, or maybe his memory is spotty, and he only remembers them when you decide the game is ready for the player to learn it. Part of the padawan's mission could be getting the Jedi to believe in himself again, maybe he'll even get him to stop drinking!
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike the idea of a holocron. Holocrons are rare technology and would almost all have been captured with the Jedi Temple. If you're going to use one, I would make it the focus of an entire campaign, following the clues to even find it and some trouble to actually retrieve it.

In the rebellion era, Jedi masters are hard to find. That's part of the point. Chances are, if you want to maintain a classic feel at lest, your young Jedi will be on his own for some time before managing to find a teacher. They can still advance as Jedi, it's just going to take longer... which is period correct.

Best plan, I think, is finding a recluse like Obi-Wan or Yoda. Someone who is powerful but unwilling to enter the galaxy stage (eliminating your "big bad Jedi" conundrum). Like the holocron, finding this person should be part of the campaign... then convincing them to teach you. Raven's alcoholic failed Jedi idea works here too, convincing them to teach the character should not be an easy task.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enter Vima-Da-Boda??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it can be interesting to make the Padawan struggle to find a teacher. It also helps slow down the rate at which the Jedi gains power. We used that somewhat in our campaign, but we were also fortunate in that the players playing the Jedi PCs quickly realized that if they increased their Force abilities too quickly they would be unplayable with the other characters so the players intentionally diversified their PCs' skills by spending CPs on non-Force abilities to round out and slow down the Jedi PC's progression. We tended to encounter a series of teachers for one or the other PC Jedi who were only available for a short time. (1) a PC failed Jedi provided initial training to another PC before the characters separated. (2) An NPC old Jedi who had become a hermit provided key training to one Jedi. He was killed by the Empire after passing on some of his knowledge. (3) An NPC alien force user provided some training and one force power. His area of knowledge was limited and he was on a planet that the PCs couldn't stay on (since one PC was exiled from it). (4) An NPC good clone of a Dark Side former Jedi provided training before being killed confronting his progenitor. (5) A succession of Dark Jedi, evil force users, and Sith provided knowledge of selected dark side powers mostly by using them against the PCs. This wasn't training per se, but it was a way to learn things you often didn't want to know. Twisted Evil

To return to your original question, if you want to provide a teacher, you could also use the template for the Alien Force student follower of the Tyia http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyia that is in the back of the revised edition rule book. Having the Padawan have to find, make first contact with, learn about, and eventually persuade an alien, non-Jedi teacher to train him could be interesting. Also, the article on the Tyia mentions that the Revwiens sent out adepts to search for Jedi survivors of Order 66. So a Tyia adept could actually be looking for the Padawan.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Training for a Padwan.... Ideas Reply with quote

VR Dragon wrote:
Hello Everyone this is my first posting here, I just started GMing a SWD6 game and the first ran swell with the help of mister instant adventures.

Now we are moving on into the adventures that I am working on and I have run into something of a stumper. I have a player of a padwan who fled with his master when all the order 66 hit the fan. The kid watched in hiding while his master was killed and his lightsaber taken as proof of the killed by a team of bounty hunters. Now having fled the planet and join up with a small reb cell I am wondering what kind of teacher can I arrange for him that wouldn't result in a big bad jedi around taking the stage from the players.

Can anyone offer me help with some ideas?

Are you asking as GM or the kid's player?

There are several options.

Quote:
hmm a holocron could be an answer - or maybe a teaching droid rescued from Jedi School ?

The latter i can't see as iirc there were no teaching droids AT the academy. The former i can see as reward for a long quest.

Quote:
You could also have the Failed Jedi type. An alcoholic old man who's passed out most of the time. Maybe he doesn't know too many force powers, or maybe his memory is spotty, and he only remembers them when you decide the game is ready for the player to learn it. Part of the padawan's mission could be getting the Jedi to believe in himself again, maybe he'll even get him to stop drinking!

One of my faves. Though i find it strange the teacher gets a DSP if he instructs a pupil who has one, but the pupil does not get one learning from a master who has one..

Quote:
To return to your original question, if you want to provide a teacher, you could also use the template for the Alien Force student follower of the Tyia http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyia that is in the back of the revised edition rule book. Having the Padawan have to find, make first contact with, learn about, and eventually persuade an alien, non-Jedi teacher to train him could be interesting. Also, the article on the Tyia mentions that the Revwiens sent out adepts to search for Jedi survivors of Order 66. So a Tyia adept could actually be looking for the Padawan.

That's another good idea.

Just remember which ever way you go, make it hard to impress/get that teacher. The book mentions it should be a grand quest in and of iteself.
Cause if its easy to find that teacher, why has not the empire already found him..
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
enter Vima-Da-Boda??

Not quite. Vima basically started vanishing as a Force-user before the Clone Wars. Though she did teach Kyp Durron a little on Kessel, she's much less an instructor during the period from Order 66 to when Han and Leia returned to Nar Shaddaa to find her. She's more wallowing in self pity over killing the warlord in cold blood.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: