The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Spending CP on the hull roll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Spending CP on the hull roll. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Spending CP on the hull roll. Reply with quote

In this thread from way back when, http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=849
i mention that in our sparks group some gms allow the pcs to spend CP to increase the hull roll when taking damage.

Who here thinks that is right? Who here does the same??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the fence on this one. If droid PCs are allowed to spend Force Points and Character Points, then the jump from one inanimate object to another is not too much of a stretch. However, it does seem at the outer limits for what a CP can be used for. It could go either way depending on the GM's preference.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't allow CPs for hull rolls.

According to the rules page "Character Points may be spent during the game to imporate a character's skill or attribute rolls." RAE page 83. Note that the ship's hull is not a character attribute (unless the ship is actually a character, but let's not go there). So as I read the rules adding points to hull rolls is not allowed. But here is where it starts to get less clear cut. I would also read this as saying the a character cannot add to weapon damage e.g. a blaster, however on page 84 the list of actions to which CPs can be added includes adding up to two character points "to increase the damage of an attack. (This often counts as an evil action.)" So adding to damage is allowed and we do allow that. Which is fine, the villain can add +2D damage but the hero can add +5D to soak so everything works out fairly. But once you are not longer at character scale, things get a bit wonky. Can a character add 1-2 CPs to increase damage from a spaceship laser cannon. The rules seem to specifically allow that. But if that is the case, then as a balance it would seem reasonable to allow characters such as the shield operator, the engineer, the pilot, or the owner to add CPs to the damage resistance (which in this case is the ship's hull).

What is the downside? Two things immediately occur.
1) Since according to the rules, the defender can add +5CP to resist damage and +2CP to cause damage (which may be an evil act) then the ships of characters with CPs may become impossible to damage by normal attacks and PC ships are likely to be totally immune to any normal scale attacks. This seems very uninteresting.
2) Allowing 1 CP to affect spaceship damage or resistance ignores scale. That +1D bonus at starfighter scale is in affect a +6D bonus.

Solution, we don't allow CPs to add to attack or defense above scale.

Unresolved problem - how to allow characters who are not piloting (e.g. passengers) to use their own CPs or FPs to survive damage or destruction of their vessel?

Optional solution: let the characters spend CPs to add to hull, but only to reduce damage to the characters inside the ship, not to the ship itself. Result - ship may be destroyed but the characters just have time to eject or make it to an escape pod.

Thoughts?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the ability to spend character points on hull and the like something from First Edition?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't have Character Points in 1st edition. They were "skill points" and only used to increase skills.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's a downright silly idea Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its never come up in our gaming sessions, but I'd have to say no. While a ship's crew may affect its ability to do a lot of things, I cant immagine any way a member of that crew could add to its ability to take damage.

If, for some strange reason, a ship had CPs of their own, I wouldnt see the harm in it. With that said, I have no intention of EVER letting a player have a ship as a character.

I've had several times where a ship was destroyed when a PC was on board. Most of those were situations where the players characters simply went EV or got to an escape pod in time. I can however think of three times where things either didnt work out so well for the character or was a little trickier to deal with.
1. The ship was destroyed with the minimum roll to do so, I declared the ship still intact enough that the players had time to use the escape pods.
2. The second time was part of a scenareo where a capical ship was being destroyed around them. (The player wanted to start a new character, so I talked to him before hand about killing the character "in-game") At the end of the scenareo, his character managed to keep the ships power up just long enough for the other characters to escape. When it was all said and done, everyone agreed that the character had died a hero.
3. This was a lot harder to deal with. I had three fighter pilots in a dogfight with some pirate uglies, one of the uglies got a lucky shot in at one of the characters and shot her Y-Wing out from under her. The planet they were near was uninhabitable, and the other two friendly fighters could only sustain one pilot for the rest of their trip. I ended up fudging things by allowing one of the other pilots to bring her into the already cramped cockpit of his X-Wing, but the trade off was that the life support system burned itself out in the process of getting to a habitable system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought...

In many ways, ships like the Millennium Falcon are characters in their own right, without which, the Star Wars films would not be what they were. Should special ships (like those belonging to characters) have their own version of CPs that allow the ship to do things and survive things that other, more common ships might not?

I know the Serenity RPG has rules for making a ship have unique traits and the like...

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A thought...

In many ways, ships like the Millennium Falcon are characters in their own right, without which, the Star Wars films would not be what they were. Should special ships (like those belonging to characters) have their own version of CPs that allow the ship to do things and survive things that other, more common ships might not?

I still say no. A ship, no matter how iconic, is still a machine. And the nice thing about a machine is that it can be repaired, even if its terribly damaged. After all, how many times was the Falcon damaged to the point that it needed to be repaired before it could even be used again? Its crash on Kessel during the Jedi Accademy trillogy comes instantly to mind. Also it was mentioned in the book Millenium Falcon that it was to badly damaged at one point that it found itself in the scrap heap.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:
She'll hold together. (Hear me, Baby? Hold together!)

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... Tells you she's hurting before she keels.

I think anything the players are invested in can benefit from a CP expenditure. I allow them on almost all rolls (especially ones where lower totals are better for the player! Twisted Evil)

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Han Solo wrote:

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... Tells you she's hurting before she keels.

I'm pretty sure the line is Tells you she's hurting before she keens

It's an interesting point though. I might allow Force Points to be spent as character points for the ship in particularly dire situations.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

I'm pretty sure the line is Tells you she's hurting before she keens
It could be... I was always pretty sure it was "keels" as it fits with the nautical speak that shows up throuought the series.

Anyways, a Force Point would make a very expensive character point... I'd be inclined to give that one back at the end of the mission...

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Han Solo wrote:

Mal Reynolds wrote:

I think anything the players are invested in can benefit from a CP expenditure. I allow them on almost all rolls (especially ones where lower totals are better for the player! Twisted Evil)

The Alderaan would have been pretty safe, with all those people spending their CPs to resist damage. Even with scale differences the Death Star wouldnt have stood a chance to scratch the surface... Laughing
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The Alderaan would have been pretty safe, with all those people spending their CPs to resist damage. Even with scale differences the Death Star wouldnt have stood a chance to scratch the surface... Laughing
Well, the rules say a maximum of 5 CPs can be spent to resist damage, though I suppose the Alderaanians could try combined actions to offset the 18D scale difference. Wink But who has a good enough command skill to combine that many people?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: