The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Army Vehicle Types
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Imperial Army Vehicle Types Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Imperial Army Vehicle Types Reply with quote

So, on the continuing theme of trying to make sense of the discrepancies in the Imperial Sourcebook, I have another question. The book lists several different vehicle types, including, wheeled, tracked, and air cushion, in addition to the known types of repulsorlifts and walkers. The various sources list walkers as "all-terrain", and say that air-cushion vehicles are used on planets where the gravity field is unstable, making repulsorlifts unviable.

And as near as I can see, that's it.

I'd like to hear the forum's opinion as to what vehicles are most suitable to what kind of terrain, or what kind of mission. The Sector Group Organization chapter essentially ignores all vehicle types apart from repulsorlift, so I'd also appreciate some input on how to incorporate non-repulsorlift vehicles into the organization.

For example, an AT-AT has the transport capacity for an entire platoon, and yet the AT-AT itself only counts as a squad or section. That means that an AT-AT equipped armor company has the capacity to haul around a full line battalion of infantry. So does that mean that an AT-AT company is actually the equivalent of a reinforced battalion, or that it must be attached to a line battalion for the AT-ATs to carry their full troop capacity?

Thoughts and ideas?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that AT-AT's are All Terrain Armored Transport and there for would suport a Battalion of Infantry. You would have many diffrent companys attached to the battalion with diffrent jobs. You would have a dedicated supply company, Maintance, Logistics, and truck drivers so the infantry doesn't have to haul all thier gear on thier backs when ever they deploy. I'm sure they would even have thier own cargo shuttles and pilots. A battalion is a large organization with many elements.

Does that help you a little more?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

My point is that the Sector Group Organization chapter in the Imperial Sourcebook essentially ignores the existence of non-repulsorlift vehicles, and makes little or no provision for big vehicles like the AT-AT. The closest it comes to any sort of mechanized infantry is the repulsorlift / mobile units, which at their base seem more like the SW equivalent of a HMMWV with a fire team of troops in the truck bed. It makes no provisions for IFVs integrated with the armored units, or for very large combat transports like the Juggernaut or the AT-AT.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to go and read that chapter before I can offer any opinions.

Hold please....
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe AT-Ats are considered support vehicles? Sometimes modern armies ignore the support troops for order of battle determination.

I don't recall seeing much on the flight crews who would be needed to maintain all those TIE fighters, either.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one thing the Organization chapter is pretty clear on: the distinction between combat units and their attached support personnel.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Maybe AT-Ats are considered support vehicles? Sometimes modern armies ignore the support troops for order of battle determination.

I don't recall seeing much on the flight crews who would be needed to maintain all those TIE fighters, either.

It does seem strange they are not included. The Tie staff that is.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, flight crews for TIEs is listed under the Imperial Garrison stats and capsule, either in the SW Sourcebook, or in the AJ article about garrisons.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question for you Army vets out there. I'm interested in the organization for Mechanized units; are infantry squads assigned directly to individual IFVs, or are platoons or companies assigned to blocs of vehicles?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in the Seabees our equipment operators are not assigned a specific vehicle, just a clump of them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I know in the Seabees our equipment operators are not assigned a specific vehicle, just a clump of them.

I know in the Imperial Sourcebook, a repulsorlift company has two platoons of infantry and two platoons of repulsorcraft, with one platoon of infantry assigned to each platoon of repulsorcraft. In the US Army, the only thing I can find is that M2 Bradley IFVs carry a light squad of 7 infantrymen, but I have no idea how the infantry and the vehicle are integrated organizationally.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the vehicles would be assigned to a "motor pool" and assigned out to whoever needed them.

That way, you don't "lose" squads when the vehicles breakdown.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, but I'm looking for specific information from someone who has been there and done that.

Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Here's a question for you Army vets out there. I'm interested in the organization for Mechanized units; are infantry squads assigned directly to individual IFVs, or are platoons or companies assigned to blocs of vehicles?

Yes you are assigned to the IFV and your squad leader is the track commander.
The track overwatches the squad when it is dismounted.

Modern M2 Bradley rifle companies have 14 IFVs (bradleys)
5 are officer tracks : 1 for the CO 1 for the XO and 1 for each platoon leader (3).
The other 9 IFVs (Bradleys) are for the 9 rifle squads themselves.

AT-ATs are not used as command vehicles exclusively -in ESB Gen Veers had Snow Troopers in his, so it is alot different than what we do todaywhich is also shown in the books with the garrison only having 10 AT-ATs wich carries a total of 400 troops and that doesn't really corrispond to any troop OOB.
I would also think the Juggernaught (50 troops) is the same.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamer wrote:
Yes you are assigned to the IFV and your squad leader is the track commander.
The track overwatches the squad when it is dismounted.

Modern M2 Bradley rifle companies have 14 IFVs (bradleys)
5 are officer tracks : 1 for the CO 1 for the XO and 1 for each platoon leader (3).
The other 9 IFVs (Bradleys) are for the 9 rifle squads themselves.

Excellent, and thank you for your input. As a follow-up question, how are the squads equipped? I know a standard infantry squad (last time I checked) had two four-man fire teams, each with an M249, an M16/M203 and 2 M16s, plus the sergeant in command. With two less men assigned, what weapons does a Mech Infantry squad give up?

Quote:
AT-ATs are not used as command vehicles exclusively -in ESB Gen Veers had Snow Troopers in his, so it is alot different than what we do todaywhich is also shown in the books with the garrison only having 10 AT-ATs wich carries a total of 400 troops and that doesn't really corrispond to any troop OOB.
I would also think the Juggernaught (50 troops) is the same.

True. I'm looking more at designing a repulsorlift IFV on the same scale as Imperial repulsortanks, similar to the role a Bradley plays in US Army Mechanized units.

As far as the AT-AT and Juggernaut, the TO&E in the Imperial Sourcebook puts an Imperial Army Infantry platoon at a strength of 38 men. Rather than having troops permanently assigned, like Mechanized Infantry, I see these vehicles having no organic troops assigned, and instead they operate the way USMC AmTracks do, with rifle squads assigned from the infantry units for individual missions, not on a permanent basis.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: