The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

When they go neg (mortally wounded)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> When they go neg (mortally wounded) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: When they go neg (mortally wounded) Reply with quote

When character's go into the mortally wounded level of damage, they get 2d6 rounds worth of rolling before they die (maybe sooner)..
Do you let the player read out which round he is at to the rest (assuming they don't already know)? Do you have him stay silent (out cold character, no speach)..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can stabilize on their own by succeeding in that roll can't they?

I've never had it be an issue in any groups I've seen as a mortally wounded character always became the centre of attention (unless they were wounded by another player).

That said I'd probably keep the player quiet and then offer hints as the GM from time to time.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen any reason to hide those details from the other players. Generally people are paying attention anyway, so they know when it happens.

I find people knowing what's going down adds to the tension and excitement in the situation. It heightens everyone's experience.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

Nope. Only way to stabilize is using a med pack on them.
OR force healing (accel heal in others).

Quote:

I've never had it be an issue in any groups I've seen as a mortally wounded character always became the centre of attention (unless they were wounded by another player).

That said I'd probably keep the player quiet and then offer hints as the GM from time to time.

So would there be any reprocussions if they DID blurt it out continually?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nope. Only way to stabilize is using a med pack on them.
OR force healing (accel heal in others).

Ah, I was thinking of natural healing not the injury result.

garhkal wrote:

Probably nothing more than a disapproving look unless there was a specific reason I didn't want that knowledge to be disseminated. I can't think of many situations where that would really detract from the game. As Ank said it actually enhances the tension.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Thu May 05, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Back in the days when I was more interested in objective play and less concerned about killing off PCs, there would be a warning along the lines of "your character is unconcious, you can't talk!" or "who is saying that?" Never had to progress with a consequence, but I suppose subtracting one from the 2D roll for each subsequent infraction might work. Twisted Evil

These days, I would probably only care if the repetition sounded like the annoying whine of a small child e.g. "are we there yet?" repeated every few minutes during a trip.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: When they go mortally wounded Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
When character's go into the mortally wounded level of damage, they get 2d6 rounds worth of rolling before they die (maybe sooner)..
Do you let the player read out which round he is at to the rest (assuming they don't already know)? Do you have him stay silent (out cold character, no speach)..

Maybe I don't understand your question, but I have never had a player of a mortally wounded PC "read out what round he is at". All my players understand when one round transitions to the next and can count, so everyone knows exactly how many rounds it has been since he has been mortally wounded. Everyone understands the rule that the PC could die any round so act appropriately if they want to save him.

Are you describing players who feel their dying PC is being ignored so he feels it is necessary to remind the other players every round they better have their PCs act quickly to save him? That's just sad. I have never had that experience in all my years running Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. I have had some who flat out forgot what round it was on, and also in ambush situations, where some dropped before the others got there (or as they got there) they lost track of where it was.

As a linked question. If someone IS rendering aid, and is shot/smacked.. is their dodge/parry hampered?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played that the players do not know how damaged their pal is. They and the fallen PC's player just know that he has fallen. In that case it is not obvious how much time is available or even that a clock is ticking.

I see allowing all the players to know the wound status of a fallen PC a nice allowance of meta game information to make it more likely that the player survives and (as others said) to add tension and drama during the combat rather than strictly sticking with what information the characters would really know and providing tragedy or pathos when finding their comrade bled out after the combat is over.

garhkal wrote:
...As a linked question. If someone IS rendering aid, and is shot/smacked.. is their dodge/parry hampered?
Minimum -1D MAP penalty up to maximum must abort the first aid roll to even be able to dodge at all. In the latter case that may be a good place for the medic to use a force point to shield and save the patient (and incidently possibly survive the damage himself).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with some metagaming in some situations. I always announce every PC's wound status changes exactly as they are. I just consider it a gimmie that the other PCs just happen to realize how bad their fallen comrade's wound is. In my game, I try to make every PC mortally wounded result dramatic as possible for us all.

In my very first SW group, we got into the habit of using the lingo of "I" to represent Incapacitated since we recorded an "I" in the Wound Status circle. Then I got into the habit of using the same terminology for GCs, but since I don't tell player the specific GCs wound statuses when they fall unconscious, "I" for GCs began to mean "Incapacitated or worse". Basically they fall down and do not get back up. In most cases that means they are essentially down for the count for that encounter (if not for good). I would say, "He's Ied." That stuck and I still do that, and new players look at me confused until someone tells them what I mean. Initially that terminoligy was only used for lethel damage, but I sometimes say "He's Ied" for stun damage too, meaning that the GC is unconscious.

If someone is administering First Aid and is shot at, is their dodge hampered? I agree with Bren. I have usually ruled that First Aid is the only action someone can do in a round, and Dodge involves moving so your victim isn't going to move with you. If you get shot at and choose to Dodge after beginning to perform the First Aid, you abandon the First Aid attempt but still suffer the -1D MAP penalty to your Dodge anyway because you were concentrating on something else when reacting to the shot. But in that case I do rule that the medpac is not used and still fully available to try again.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm ok with some metagaming in some situations...
I was just pointing out that it is metagaming. But I'm ok with what you have described. We tend to use, "he's down" rather than incapped, but it has similar meaning.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd decide on a case by case basis.
It's easier to determine the status of a mortally wounded speeder crash victim than a mortally wounded nerve toxin victim.

Complete Starship Construction System
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

They can't stabilize themselves. According to 2nd Edition, R&E, page 97:

Quote:
A mortally wounded character falls prone and is unconcious. The character can't do anything until healed.

Being able to stabilize themselves is being able to do something to do so. Their out cold, so they can't do anything to help themselves. They can't even make a natural healing roll.

Now I might allow a player to call out how many rounds their PC has been mortally wounded for so the other players know, or I might say that's the GM's job. Obviously they should survive three rounds of mortally wounded unless they get a 1 on the WD. Then it's up to the GM how they want to play that, ignore the 1 and just add up as normal, throw out a complication (like maybe a permanent loss of D from certain atributes if the PC is stabilized), or subtract both dice which is obviously dead. Starting in the fourth round after being mortally wounded it's then time for the player to get anxious about the other PCs saving them.

So letting the player say their PC has been mortally wounded for so many rounds would give them something to do as all their able to do is sit there until someone decides to help them.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't roll a Wild die... just plain old 2d6.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: