The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Encased in Carbonite?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Encased in Carbonite? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sid Sonoma
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Encased in Carbonite? Reply with quote

Is there any officical rules for encasing someone in carbonite? I thought I saw something about it before but i don't remember if it was official or homemade. If anyone has any rules governing this i would appreciate it.

Thank you
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not, as far as I've seen... of course, I haven't read ALL of the sourcebooks.

Encasing people in carbonite was a novel concept in-setting when Vader used it on Han... they weren't sure it would actually work, hence using it on Han before using it on the far more valuable Luke. It was also quite risky, the chances of death were pretty high. There are other forms of "cold storage", however, as alluded to by Leia as Boushh "you have hibernation sickness", implying that it's a known condition of coming out of hibernation states.

Ugloste, the Ugnaught listed and statted in the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Sourcebook, has the skills; Mechanical - Carbon-Freezing Chamber Operation 5D+1, and Technical - Carbon-Freezing Chamber Repair 5D+1, meaning that operating and maintaining these chambers were a special skill set.

IIRC they had to modify the carbon-freezing aparatus to work on biologicals too. I don't have a source for this, just vague recollection. EDIT - I do have a source, the book and character above Razz To quote his entry:
SWSp.Ed. Sourcebook - Ugloste, p. 105 wrote:
...An Imperial officer told him to modify the carbon-freezing chamber and handed him the specs on a datapad.
He made the changes with no problems. His team worked to his specs, and he knew that carbon-freezing chamber inside and out. The carbon freeze would be painful, but not deadly. Those were the specs. That was his job.

That suggests that without careful modification the process is deadly.

So, for rules to do it, you need a difficulty to modify the chamber, using the repair skill. Then you need a difficulty to properly use the modified chamber. I'd probably set both at Difficult.

This doesn't address the knowledge required to figure out what modifications to make. That would likely require a much more difficult roll of either a Knowledge skill or, perhaps an Engineering skill (or really high DC repair roll)

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus imo specific specs on the race/person to be encased..
THings like
Height
weight
medical status (duff heart, inslulin requirement etc)
species.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Plus imo specific specs on the race/person to be encased..
THings like
Height
weight
medical status (duff heart, inslulin requirement etc)
species.

Aye, odd specifics would alter the difficulty levels a category or two. Figure out the base for a healthy being of standard size/composition, and any deviations from from that will change the difficulty.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that there was some rules for this in the Crisis in Cloud City adventure. Basically a throwaway line stating that the procedure was more complicated that usual and a Difficult task or some such.

I'll check my books tonight.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what level of canon you attribute to The Clone Wars cartoon series, "The Citadel" episode from this year had Ben, Anakin, Ahsoka, Tarkin and several clones being encased in carbonite (with an Ugnaught involved, of course!). The episode seemed to imply that using the process with people was unusual (something that Anakin thought of - or at least thought of using), but could be done reliably and safely under the right circumstances.

Perhaps the facilities used by the Republic forces for that carbonite use were specifically engineered with that process in mind, whereas the one on Cloud City had to be modified more on-the-fly, without the advanced engineering work. The fact that they were "thawed" without hibernation sickness could have also shown the advanced technical work done for that particular process - or perhaps it was related to the fact that they were only encased for a short amount of time compared to the unfortunate Captain Solo.

Personally, I thought the carbonite freezing used in "The Citadel" was a little over the top, but tell that to Mr. Leland Chee. Smile
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the EU states that carbon freezing was done for early slower then light travel to reach other star systems - A deliberate form of suspended animation.

Also Vader has no Carbon Freezing skill, yet he seemed confident of not killing Luke when he operated the machinery [very confident given how hard it is to operate controls with the Force]. So I'd say the difficulty for freezing someone safely is pretty low IF the facility has been set up correctly before hand.

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say an easy tech roll..?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that right after Solo got frozen, Vader instructed them to "reset the chamber for Skywalker." Resetting the chamber for another use may be a complicated process, but once it was ready and waiting, all Vader had to do was pull a lever on a console. It would take a good Demolitions roll or two to rig a building to explode, but it doesn't take much know how to press the big red button once everything is set to go.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the carbon encased person is completely conscious through the entire duration of the encasement... Tough s*** for the psyche!
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
I read somewhere that the carbon encased person is completely conscious through the entire duration of the encasement... Tough s*** for the psyche!

Han waking up doesn't support this, however; "Where am I?" wouldn't have been a question after spending a couple months as a decoration in Jabba's Palace.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Anakin wrote:

Han waking up doesn't support this, however; "Where am I?" wouldn't have been a question after spending a couple months as a decoration in Jabba's Palace.

That's not nessesarily true, he may have been conscious but unable to percieve anything outside his carbonite coffin.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being conscious goes against what Lando says on Cloud City.

"Yes, he's alive, and in perfect hibernation."

How could one be conscious and in perfect hibernation?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Being conscious goes against what Lando says on Cloud City.

"Yes, he's alive, and in perfect hibernation."

How could one be conscious and in perfect hibernation?

The ROTJ novel is probably the best source:

"He was, understandably, disoriented, after having been in suspended animation for six of this desert planet's months - a period that was, to him, timeless. It had been a grim sensation - as if for an eternity he'd been trying to draw breath, to move, to scream, every moment in conscious, painful asphyxiation - and now suddenly he was dumped into a loud, cold black pit.

"His senses assaulted him all at once. The air bit at his skin with a thousand icy teeth; the opacity of his sight was impenetrable; wind seemed to rush around his ears at hurricane volumes; he couldn't feel which way was up; the myriad smells filling his nose made him nauseous, he couldn't stop salivating, all his bones hurt - and then came the visions.

"Visions from his childhood, from his last breakfast, from twenty-seven piracies...as if all the images and memories of his life had been crammed into a balloon and the balloon popped and they all came bursting out now, randomly, in a single moment. It was nearly overwhelming, it was sensory overload; or more precisely, memory overload. Men had gone mad, in these first minutes following decarbonization, hopelessly, utterly mad - unable ever again to reorganize the ten-billion individual images that comprised a lifespan into any kind of coherent, selective order."

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
That's not nessesarily true, he may have been conscious but unable to percieve anything outside his carbonite coffin.

Touche

crmcneill wrote:
The ROTJ novel is probably the best source:

"He was, understandably, disoriented, after having been in suspended animation for six of this desert planet's months - a period that was, to him, timeless. It had been a grim sensation - as if for an eternity he'd been trying to draw breath, to move, to scream, every moment in conscious, painful asphyxiation - and now suddenly he was dumped into a loud, cold black pit.

"His senses assaulted him all at once. The air bit at his skin with a thousand icy teeth; the opacity of his sight was impenetrable; wind seemed to rush around his ears at hurricane volumes; he couldn't feel which way was up; the myriad smells filling his nose made him nauseous, he couldn't stop salivating, all his bones hurt - and then came the visions.

"Visions from his childhood, from his last breakfast, from twenty-seven piracies...as if all the images and memories of his life had been crammed into a balloon and the balloon popped and they all came bursting out now, randomly, in a single moment. It was nearly overwhelming, it was sensory overload; or more precisely, memory overload. Men had gone mad, in these first minutes following decarbonization, hopelessly, utterly mad - unable ever again to reorganize the ten-billion individual images that comprised a lifespan into any kind of coherent, selective order."

Interesting.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: