The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New GM who needs claryfication in declared and reaction rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New GM who needs claryfication in declared and reaction rule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorkimus Maximus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: New GM who needs claryfication in declared and reaction rule Reply with quote

First off I apologize in advance for the repetitiveness of this question and any confusion my post may create, but out of all of the rules in SW D6 2nd Ed. R&E, these rules I just cannot grasp very well. I use dodge for my examples, but I understand melee and brawling parry fallow the same principle.

I understand the rules about -D for multiple actions and additional -D for declaring a reaction dodge to an attack, but what if a declared dodge is farther down the players action list? For example, there is one PC and one NPC. The PC's declared actions for the round are shoot shoot and dodge, and the NPC is shoot shoot.

The PC goes first and shoots at -2D and misses. The NPC shoots and succeeds the difficulty role potentially hitting the player. What are the PC's options at this point? Can they bump there declared dodge up the list so its dodge then shoot and keep the -2D penalty? Or are the only allowed to roll a reaction dodge at a -3D penalty to the 2 remaining actions for the round? Can the PC discard the 2nd shot action and go straight to the declared dodge roll at -2d or can the PC forgo a declared action entirely and make the reaction dodge at a lower penalty. Again, a thousand apologies, but this is frustrating me.

And if that's not confusing enough for you or I, why make a declared dodge as a 2nd or 3rd action when making it your first action allows you to increase the difficulty to hit your character for the rest of the round. If you are acting first and you know for a fact that the first thing your enemy will do is shoot at you, why shoot first THEN dodge all at lower penalties? What good will that declared dodge down the list do for you if you need to make a reaction dodge or risk serious injury or death?

If I don't respond its because I'm doing homework, not because I don't care, thanks in advance.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dodge doesn't happen in sequence like other actions. It will affect ALL attacks in that round.

So the PC will shoot, then the NPC will shoot against the PCs dodge, then the NPC will shoot against the PCs same dodge roll (you only roll once).

Make sense?

(Oh, and 2 actions will only be -1d, so your PC would Shoot at -1d and Dodge at -1d, the NPC will Shoot at -1d and Shoot at -1d)
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New GM who needs claryfication in declared and reaction Reply with quote

I have edited your example in line with my recollection of the rules.

The PC should declare two actions (he does not need to decide he is shooting twice just that he intends to act twice). Dodge is a reaction skill and does not need to be declared unless that is all the PC is doing that round (a full dodge). The PC has a -1D multiple action penalty (MAP).

The NPC also declares two actions (-1D MAP).

The PC goes first and uses his first action to shoot at -1D and misses. The NPC shoots at -1D and succeeds in the difficulty roll for the range, potentially hitting the player. What are the PC's options at this point?
He can decide to (i) reaction dodge at -2D and reserve a third action for his next turn in the round; (ii) he can choose to use his second declared action as a dodge at -1D in this case he does not get a second shot; or (iii) he can decide to take the hit and shoot or do something later in the round with only a -1D penalty if he survives the hit. If he chooses (ii) and his dodge is sufficient to avoid the hit, his shot is than at -2D (two declared actions + a reaction dodge). If he chooses (iii) and the shot doesn't damage him, his shot is at -1D only.

Regarding your second question: you might shoot first and dodge later in the hopes that your shot prevents your opponent from getting a shot off and to avoid the additional -1D MAP to your shot for the dodge.

Last edited by Bren on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
(Oh, and 2 actions will only be -1d, so your PC would Shoot at -1d and Dodge at -1d, the NPC will Shoot at -1d and Shoot at -1d)

Didn't see that you had PC shoot, shoot, dodge.... Embarassed I need caffeine...
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New GM who needs claryfication in declared and reaction Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The PC goes first and uses his first action to shoot at -1D and misses. The NPC shoots at -1D and succeeds in the difficulty roll for the range, potentially hitting the player. What are the PC's options at this point?
He can decide to (i) reaction dodge at -2D and reserve a third action for his next turn in the round; (ii) he can choose to use his second declared action as a dodge at -1D in this case he does not get a second shot; or (iii) he can decide to take the hit and shoot or do something later in the round with only a -1D penalty if he survives the hit. If he chooses (ii) and his dodge is sufficient to avoid the hit, his shot is than at -2D (two declared actions + a reaction dodge). If he chooses (iii) and the shot doesn't damage him, his shot is at -1D only.

Bren - when the NPC fired his first shot, didn't the PC need to declare reaction dodge prior to the NPC rolling his blaster dice? Isn't it too late to wait until after the roll (unless you're using force points)?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you wait till after the roll its CP not FP to spend. But there does not need to be a reaction dodge for us to know whether it hit or not.. it just has to beat the base diff for range. BUT at this point, the gm should be asking the player before the to hit is made, do you wish to dodge. NOT wait till the shot has been rolled.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New GM who needs claryfication in declared and reaction Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Bren - when the NPC fired his first shot, didn't the PC need to declare reaction dodge prior to the NPC rolling his blaster dice? Isn't it too late to wait until after the roll (unless you're using force points)?
I don't have my rules in front of me so I am not certain, but that sound correct. Embarassed I believe for a while we used a house rule that for reaction dodges you had to dodge each shot separately rather than one dodge counting against all the shots. In that case, I believe you only had to dodge the shots that would otherwise hit you.

When 900 gaming weeks old you reach recall so well you will not. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some gms who did the same. And others who did it per 'action segment'.

EG players 1-04, facing off against stormies 1-5 and their commander.
Round 1, pcs lose initiave. Each trooper (they are veterans, so have 6d+2 blaster ya know!! Evil or Very Mad ) wish to shoot twice.
Each pc also calls 2 actions.
Action segment 1. Stormie 1-5 shoot. 1 and 2 both shoot at pc 1 (the wookie), 3 shoots pc 2, 4 shoots pc 3 and 5 shoots pc 4. Each pc has to dodge. Commander is reading his gun (he didn't have it out as it was in the holster) and will shoot 3 times.
Each pc declares a reactionary dodge (wookie only needs one). They dodge (though wookie is hit once).
Action segment 2, pcs counter shoot. Baddies dodge, but stormie 3 is hit and killed. The rest are hit (or missed) but take no significant damage.
Action segment 3, Stormies take 2nd shot (they reaction dodged), and commander shoots 1 of 3 shots. PC 2 is wounded (loses his second action), pc 4 is incapicitated. They have had to make 2 reaction dodges now.
Action segment 4. Pc's 2nd counter.. Pc 1 shoots and kills stormie 4. PC 2 lost his action due to wounds, pc 3 shots but misses the commander, pc 4 is out cold.
Action segment 5, commander's second shot. He shoots at pc 3 who shot at him. Pc 3 now has to make ANOTHER reactionary dodge.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Actually if you wait till after the roll its CP not FP to spend.

Thanks for the clarification. I see the 2ndR&E rulebook agrees with you (had to double-check just to be sure). Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

NOW there is a FP you can spend after the roll... You just have to trust in the DSSYAIP.... (Dark Side Save Your @$$ Incentive Plan) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: