The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Do PCs know their skill levels and difficulties
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Do PCs know their skill levels and difficulties Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Do PCs know their skill levels and difficulties Reply with quote

First some background:
• Players know the attributes and skill levels for their PCs.
• GMs know the attributes and skill levels for both PCs and NPCs.
• GMs know all difficulty numbers. Players may or may not know this.

What do the PCs know?
1) Do they know their own attributes and skills or just an approximation.
2) Do they know others attributes and skills or just an approximation.
3) Do they know the difficulty number.

1) I generally assume characters only know an approximation of skills and attributes.

2) Just an approximation. What I do, I generally assume that for skills small differences (less than 1D) are essentially undetectable to PCs and NPCs. If the difference is large 2D or more than I assume characters know that someone is noticeably better or worse than they are.

For stats or attributes I assume differences of +1 or so are undetectable, but differences of 1D or more are detectable as noticeably stronger, faster, etc.

The longer characters interact and work together using particular skills and stats, the more subtle differences they will be able to detect.

3) Depending on the task and skill a PC may know an approximation of the difficulty e.g. they may know that is an easy task or that something is at least very difficult. They don't know the exact difficulty number. Though the player may know this or be able to calculate it from observation.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to factor in how certain people will lie or exaggerate their prowess or ability for personal reasons. In The Far Orbit Project, there was a selection of characters who could be recruited from Starforge station to fill out the Far Orbit's crew, but as you read their descriptions, a couple of them had reputations that exceeded fact. I would think that PCs might be able to make a judgment of an NPCs general prowess by seeing them in action, but that getting a specific rating (i.e. down to the exact Dice + pip rating) would only be possible through scientific testing equipment.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I prevent my players from "table talking" about their skills. I tell them that they can talk about their confidence in their ability to accomplish the task. They can say, "I'm pretty experienced," or "Oh yeah, I can do that easy," but I frown upon, "I've got 5D in..."

What is interesting is when you have someone who has a really high skill, but has just rolled poorly several times and thus earns a reputation for being kinda crappy at their proclaimed specialty.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about your own life...
You don't know exactly how good/bad you are in something, but you have a rough idea where you should sit in the bell curve. Likewise, you don't know exactly how difficult tasks are... but you have some idea of how difficult they should be based on your general idea of what you can or can't do.

What you provided is pretty reasonable to my eyes.

For example, I enjoy playing guitar. I know I'm better than some people, but am pretty damn bad compared to many... even within my own sphere of friends. If I was to put it in game terms, I might have a Musical Performance: (s)Guitar of about 2D+2 to 3D, whereas a couple of my friends might be more in line with 4D+1 or so... and the difference is noticeable.
Alternatively, my Musical Instrument Repair skill, while not at a professional level, is higher than most of the other amateurs I know... though not significantly so in some areas. I know that I can do a complete basic set up on almost any guitar design... but I wouldn't attempt installing new pickups until I've had more practice with a soldering iron.

I don't know exactly how good or bad I am, but I have an idea of my limits, and I have an idea of where those limits lay within the greater scope of other players/repair folk.

Characters should be seen the same. The GM probably shouldn't say that the difficulty is 15, but saying Moderate is ok. It gives an impression, but doesn't give a definitive. They have a good idea on whether they're likely to hit a Moderate, but doesn't give an exact threshold.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do the PCs know?
1) Do they know their own attributes and skills or just an approximation.
2) Do they know others attributes and skills or just an approximation.
3) Do they know the difficulty number.

1) of course they know their own stuff.
2) the only way they know other pc's stats is if they A> look the other players sheet over (with or sometimes without that person's stats) B> helped him build it (seen many times) or C> flat out ask.
3) If they ask, i tell them..
BUT on combat, especially for to hits and them wanting to know for their dodge, i like to vary it.
EG Stormtrooper #2 just shot pc #6 with a 38 on the to hit roll. PC #6's dodge so far is only a 19.. diff of 19. If he asks, i might tell him its a very solid strike.
How ever if the diff was say only 5 or less, i might say its a minor strike.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the more dice someone has in a skill, the more accurate their guesses about the level of that skill in themselves and others. I'd also say characters generally have a better idea of how good they are than about how good others are. Finally, I think that in most instances a character would be aware of the approximate difficulty of a task. Again, the more skilled they were, the better their estimates would be.

Complete Starship Construction System
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on how long the PCs have been together. PCs starting the game as a group of Rebels who have been on missions together as part of their backstory should have a better idea about each other's abilities as a matter of group survival.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You also need to factor in how certain people will lie or exaggerate their prowess or ability for personal reasons...
Of course. They may also underestimate their prowess either due to lack of confidence or to try to have others underestimate their abilities.

cheshire wrote:
What is interesting is when you have someone who has a really high skill, but has just rolled poorly several times and thus earns a reputation for being kinda crappy at their proclaimed specialty.
Yes. While that will tend to even out over time, it certainly can create an inaccurate initial impression.

Ankhanu wrote:
Exactly how I approached this. I like what you are doing. Smile

garhkal wrote:
2) the only way they know other pc's stats is if they A> look the other players sheet over (with or sometimes without that person's stats) B> helped him build it (seen many times) or C> flat out ask.
3) If they ask, i tell them..
I wouldn't tell them. And while players may know other PCs stats, that doesn't mean the player's PC knows the other PCs stats. That is OOC knowledge that they shouldn't be acting on.
Regarding combat, I am more generous in that I tend to tell them at least that a dodge would be say very difficult or I may tell them when to stop rolling more CPs to be missed. I can see why one might give less info, but I am not really trying to make it more difficult for PCs to avoid injury. I also GM for PCs who often think it is more in character for their PC to be wounded or stunned rather than totally missed, so it's not like they are trying to overly game the system. They just don't want to be incapped or dead.

Fallon Kell wrote:
I'd say that the more dice someone has in a skill, the more accurate their guesses about the level of that skill in themselves and others...
I agree. It makes more sense that the master can better evaluate the student than vice versa.

Rerun941 wrote:
It also depends on how long the PCs have been together.
Yes of course. The more time for observation of skill use the more accurate the assessment.

EDIT: I like the responses so far. And so far, no arguments. Laughing
(Edited to remove the word "am" from the first sentence. I wasn't reallly trying to make a metaphysical statement. The original sentence said: "I am like the responses so far. And so far, no arguments. Laughing")

Last edited by Bren on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I am like the responses so far. And so far, no arguments.

(Looks around for lightning....) Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times my 'cruel' sides pops out, and even when they have no need to worry, i still as
"are you sure you like that total"??
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Some times my 'cruel' sides pops out, and even when they have no need to worry, i still as
"are you sure you like that total"??

Hehe, I do that as often as possible, without doing so often that they start to get complacent about it. Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my favorite phrase to let them know they MIGHT want to think about character points.
I change it up to "your not happy with that total.. ARE YOU!" when they NEED to spend cp (to avoid dying)..
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
You don't know exactly how good/bad you are in something, but you have a rough idea where you should sit in the bell curve. Likewise, you don't know exactly how difficult tasks are... but you have some idea of how difficult they should be based on your general idea of what you can or can't do.

That's my thought. Also, when you have training and experince in a particular field you're gonna have some idea of where you stand on particular skills compared to other folks. The more training and experince you have the better your going to be compared to someone with little to no experince.

I imagine there'll be cases of PCs comparing their skills to see where they stand. They don't know their 6D, 5D+2, 4D, or 2D in a particular skill, they just know they've each trained in this skill and decide to compare where they stand against each other. Obviously it'll be easier for the PC with 6D in the skill to accomplish it than the one with 2D. Let's say it's using a blaster rifle at long range, ten shots each at the target. The PC at 2D maybe gets one or two at the target, neither kill shots and one maybe just nicks a vital spot. The 4D PC maybe gets six shots at the target, one a kill shot and two firmly hit vital places. The 5D+2 PC maybe gets eight of their shots on target, two confirmed kill shots, one maybe nicked a kill zone, two firmly hit vital places, and one maybe knicked a nicked a vital place. And then the 6D PC gets nine shots on target, three confirmed kill shots and four firmly in vital places. If they find themselves in a position where their going to need someone to do a little long range sniping the 2D PC is certainly not going to be the one the PCs are going to choose, after that little competition they all know that PC sucks. It's going to either be the 5D+2 or 6D PC, they were the deadliest in the competition. And the 6D PC would probably just edge out the 5D+2 because they clearly did better. Maybe it was luck, maybe it wasn't. But the two are clearly the most skilled from that one competition. Now if they preform this competition say eight or nine times and the 6D PC consistently out preforms the 5D+2 PC then the PCs are more likely to expect them to do much better with the snbiping than anyone else on the team.

Wanted Poster
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what point does the Dunning–Kruger effect kick in?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that'd depend on two factors. First, how hard-headed the PCs are. I mean if they've competed eight times to compare their skills and the 2D PC does consistently poorly then you'd think they oughta say "We'll I'm clearly the worst of us so I shouldn't be given the rifle to do any sniping with." But a more hard headed PC might say "Oh, the sun was in my eyes, that's why I dead so poorly," or "Oh I had a terrible cold and that threw off my aim," or even "Well this isn't the rifle I normally use and that's why I did so bad. If we were using MY rifle I'd have gotten a kill shot every time."

The second factor being how hard headed that PC's player is or how much their trying to be the hero. The PC can't say "Oh, the WD may let me do better than you guys. Come on WD be good to me baby! All 6s, all 6s!" The player can, however, say the WD may be their friend and they may even throw in as many CPs and FPs as they can to let their low level PC do well enough to out shine a high level PC. Sure, we use our CPs and FPs to improve our chances, but we also use them to level up our skills (and attributes). If a player wants to be so hard headed that their going to spend CPs and FPs like crazy to get their character to preform as well as a higher player rather than saving some to improve their character's skills, then sooner or later their character is going to bite them in the backside.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: