The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Lure of the Dark Side
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> The Lure of the Dark Side Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: The Lure of the Dark Side Reply with quote

Hi guys!! I’m new in this forum and happy to find a living community for this great game.
I ’m going to ask you about a new revised *strage* rule.

The rule say:
“When a character with Dark Side Points uses a Force skill, her skill roll gets a bonus of ID per Dark Side Point. Characters who accept this bonus are particularly susceptible to its temptations and must be sure to act with the purest intent or they will receive more Dark Side Points and risk going over to the dark side.”

I’m the gamemaster and a player role a jedi with 1 DSP… and he probably will take his 2nd point soon. The rule is fascinating but we think it is extreme.
That’s why.
1) +1D per point is too much. 2 DSP means +2D in all three force skills! It risks overpowering the jedi
2) A skill check at least one level harder - if the jedi refuse the bonus - is very bad. A +6 on the difficulty is like a -2D on dice pool!!
3) How do you think “are particularly susceptible to its temptations” means??
- Maybe: when a character do a bad action he got extra DSP?
- Maybe: the range of what is a “bad action” increase? It is intendend only for action with a force skill or everything?

Thanks!
Twisted Evil
_Leao
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lure of the Dark Side Reply with quote

leao wrote:
Hi guys!! I’m new in this forum and happy to find a living community for this great game.
I ’m going to ask you about a new revised *strage* rule.

The rule say:
“When a character with Dark Side Points uses a Force skill, her skill roll gets a bonus of ID per Dark Side Point. Characters who accept this bonus are particularly susceptible to its temptations and must be sure to act with the purest intent or they will receive more Dark Side Points and risk going over to the dark side.”

I’m the gamemaster and a player role a jedi with 1 DSP… and he probably will take his 2nd point soon. The rule is fascinating but we think it is extreme.
That’s why.
1) +1D per point is too much. 2 DSP means +2D in all three force skills! It risks overpowering the jedi
2) A skill check at least one level harder - if the jedi refuse the bonus - is very bad. A +6 on the difficulty is like a -2D on dice pool!!
- Maybe: the range of what is a “bad action” increase? It is intendend only for action with a force skill or everything?

Thanks!
Twisted Evil
_Leao

1) If you feel its too much, make it a pool of extra dice with a size of 1D per DSP. Remember though that having 2 DSPs mean that you have a 1/6 chance of your character turning NPC.
(Im currently redoing how DSP works. As my rules allow for more DSPs I will probably switch to the 'pool idea' above).
2) I dont really get what you mean with 'very bad'. Is it too much, or two little?
(In my games, to use the Force without using the Dark Side bonus you have remove 1D per DSP you have).
3) I guess its up to GM fiat.
(I have a Will of the Dark Side where as soon as you have a DSP you have to resist its will with either Willpower or Control).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lure of the Dark Side Reply with quote

leao wrote:

Its supposed to be powrful.. thats is why its the lure of the darkside. Remember yoda's words. Quicker, powerful, more seductive.
BUT once you turn TOO the darkside, you no longer gain that bonus.

leao wrote:

At least 1 level higher.. usually 5 points.

leao wrote:

For me, this means
A) IF the act skirts the darkside, they gain a DSP
B) IF the act flat out gives a dsp, i give 2
C) if the act might be close, and you would normally warn someone.. you don't warn this guy.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Lure of the Dark Side Reply with quote

[quote="garhkal"]
leao wrote:
leao wrote:

For me, this means
A) IF the act skirts the darkside, they gain a DSP
B) IF the act flat out gives a dsp, i give 2
C) if the act might be close, and you would normally warn someone.. you don't warn this guy.

For me it is C and possibly A, but not B. Mostly I only warn for new players or possibly if the Jedi asks if doing X may gain a DSP. Also if a PC has a DSP I will remind them to use their bonus and suggest actions that would tend towards the Dark Side e.g.
    "You know if you let him go he will only atteck you later"
    "He gave the order to destroy the city, killing tens of thousands of civilians including women and children. How many more children will die if he lives."
    "He killed your father [mother, wife, friend...fill in the blank]"
    "If you tie him up, he may get free and sound the alarm. If you kill him you maintain the element of surprise and after all it is war."

While the bonus can be an asset to the Jedi, Typically a teacher will not train a person with DSPs. This means increasing force abilities and powers cost 2xCPs until the Jedi attones away all their DSPs. This will slow the Jedi's progressioni while they have the DSPs.

ZzaphodD wrote:
(In my games, to use the Force without using the Dark Side bonus you have remove 1D per DSP you have).

I think I like this. It is simple and it makes it a lot harder for a Jedi with 4 DSPs to attone while adventuring.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like that '-1d per dsp zap.. Though i imght not count it for the 'first dsp' since many consider that 'a freebie;.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I also like that '-1d per dsp zap.. Though i imght not count it for the 'first dsp' since many consider that 'a freebie;.

I'd keep it. Coming back from the Dark Side and atoning should be a difficult choice and activity.

Also, this may be a first: garhkal has a more favorable to the Jedi interpretation of the rules than me. Wink
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

garhkal has a more favorable to the Jedi interpretation of the rules than me. Wink

I think garhkal make the route to the dark side much more fascinating!! Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I didnt have the impression you were the one to hand out freebies.. Wink

Think that in the RAW you have increased difficulties from DSP 1. In my system, with a -1D penalty, you already get a slightly lower penalty.

One of the 'bonuses' from this is that if you rack up on DSPs while having low Force Skills you kind of get caught in the 'grip of the Dark Side' as you cannot use your Force Skills without using the bonus. A more powerful Jedi might be more able to 'suck up' the penalty.. Hence no shortcut to quick power without quickly getting snared.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Think that in the RAW you have increased difficulties from DSP 1. In my system, with a -1D penalty, you already get a slightly lower penalty.

That is my recollection as well. I haven't had a chance to look at how your -1D per DSP compares to the RAW. But as I said, the simplicity of the math is appealing.
Quote:
One of the 'bonuses' from this is that if you rack up on DSPs while having low Force Skills you kind of get caught in the 'grip of the Dark Side' as you cannot use your Force Skills without using the bonus. A more powerful Jedi might be more able to 'suck up' the penalty.. Hence no shortcut to quick power without quickly getting snared.
I like that what you propose makes it very hard for a character with 4-5 DSPs and Force abilities below the level of Obi, Yoda, Luke, or Anakin to use the force without using the Dark Side bonus. While ultimately the Dark Side is not stronger, it is "quicker, easier, more seductive." Which the lure of the Dark Side should reflect.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

That is my recollection as well. I haven't had a chance to look at how your -1D per DSP compares to the RAW. But as I said, the simplicity of the math is appealing.
Quote:
I like that what you propose makes it very hard for a character with 4-5 DSPs and Force abilities below the level of Obi, Yoda, Luke, or Anakin to use the force without using the Dark Side bonus. While ultimately the Dark Side is not stronger, it is "quicker, easier, more seductive." Which the lure of the Dark Side should reflect.

With this system, very experienced characters aside, once they hit 3 DSP most Jedis seem to be stuck or keep sliding down the path to the Dark Side. The only alternative is more or less to keep using the force completely, very easy powers may be the exception.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I'd keep it. Coming back from the Dark Side and atoning should be a difficult choice and activity.

Also, this may be a first: garhkal has a more favorable to the Jedi interpretation of the rules than me.
ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I didnt have the impression you were the one to hand out freebies.. Wink

Hey... i have a soft side.... Not much as i DO make it harder to attone for doing the same thing. BUT i always have seen the 1st dsp as a 'freebie' as anyone can make the occasional slip. Doesn't mean they are now on the dark path.

ZzaphodD wrote:

Precicely Z.. It is a major lure and i have almost turned 4 jedi pcs cause of it..

Now as a related note.. see a new thread!
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new question!! :
When a Jedi wants to lose his DSP, what do you think: he has to refuse the bonus dice everytime… or he can use the bonus in all no-bad actions, without penalties in his “losing dark power” intentions?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion he has to refuse the bonus always. If you accept the boon of the dark side, it twists your actions. If they take the bonus, they can't control kill result on damage rolls and any other mean things that you can think up.

Also, one thing I generally forget, is that I've allowed some Jedi in NJO era to still be allowed to train at the academy, even though they've already got a dark side point. Next time I'll be more careful. Smile
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
In my opinion he has to refuse the bonus always. If you accept the boon of the dark side, it twists your actions. If they take the bonus, they can't control kill result on damage rolls and any other mean things that you can think up.

Also, one thing I generally forget, is that I've allowed some Jedi in NJO era to still be allowed to train at the academy, even though they've already got a dark side point. Next time I'll be more careful. Smile

Also, in my games, when calling upon the Dark Side you immediately have to pass a test vs Will of the Dark Side (ie at test of WP or (Control-no of DSP) vs Will of the Dark side (a number of dice equal to your DSPs). If you fail to beat the WDS you will cause unnessecary harm and act more cruelly than your intentions.

When it comes to using the Dark Side bonus. If, at any time, you are called by the GM to test against the Will of the Dark Side in the same round or the round after you have used the DS bonus you suffer a -1D penalty to your test.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leao wrote:
A new question!! :
When a Jedi wants to lose his DSP, what do you think: he has to refuse the bonus dice everytime… or he can use the bonus in all no-bad actions, without penalties in his “losing dark power” intentions?

Per the RAW, the means are just as important as the ends. If the Jedi uses the Dark Side to perform a good deed, he still gets a DSP because he used the Dark Side.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: