The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

where can I find information on cybernetics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> where can I find information on cybernetics? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogrebattle
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: where can I find information on cybernetics? Reply with quote

New to star wars d6. I was looking through the templates guide and noticed there was a "Cyborged pirated" character with a cybernetic limb. Browsing through the rulebook though I wasn't able to find any info on cybernetics or how they affect characters.

Would a full cyborg like Grevious be better off stated as a Droid of some kind?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: where can I find information on cybernetics? Reply with quote

ogrebattle wrote:
New to star wars d6. I was looking through the templates guide and noticed there was a "Cyborged pirated" character with a cybernetic limb. Browsing through the rulebook though I wasn't able to find any info on cybernetics or how they affect characters.

That material is covered in other books. The best official source for cybernetic parts is Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, although I believe most of those can be found in Gry Srth's equipment stat compilation. Anyone have the link?

As far as how they affect characters, the only rule I've seen is in Pirates and Privateers, where the more cybernetic parts a character has, the more prone he is to the Dark Side. Personally, I think that's crap. There is better canon evidence to suggest that cybernetic parts affect one's connection to the Force.

ogrebattle wrote:
Would a full cyborg like Grevious be better off stated as a Droid of some kind?

Most likely that would be easiest. We don't know how much of the actual Grievous is left inside that shell, but there is probably even less of him than there is of Vader.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there's more info in Galladium's Fantastic Tech (or one of the other Fantastic Techs).

For something like Greivous, he's more like a droid with some biological components, like a B'omar monk. Stat something like that as a droid more than a biological. Some skills and all Knowledge aspects would be maintained from the being, the rest would be replaced with hardware.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I believe there's more info in Galladium's Fantastic Tech (or one of the other Fantastic Techs).

For something like Greivous, he's more like a droid with some biological components, like a B'omar monk. Stat something like that as a droid more than a biological. Some skills and all Knowledge aspects would be maintained from the being, the rest would be replaced with hardware.

If a full conversion cyborg is a blend of character and droid, to what degree should he still be able to use Force Points and Character points?

Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

If a full conversion cyborg is a blend of character and droid, to what degree should he still be able to use Force Points and Character points?

Droid characters have full access to CPs and FPs.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ogrebattle
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the rules of droid creation right now

so I divide up my 25 dice between attributes, skills, and attachments right?

Is putting one die in an attribute of equal value of putting that die in a skill or attachment? If so, it seems that raising attributes (thus benefiting all skills) would be preferable to only in one skill.

I guess this sort of thing is suppose to be worked out with the game master then? Can Droids have specialties?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogrebattle wrote:
Is putting one die in an attribute of equal value of putting that die in a skill or attachment? If so, it seems that raising attributes (thus benefiting all skills) would be preferable to only in one skill.

I guess this sort of thing is suppose to be worked out with the game master then? Can Droids have specialties?

Definitely something to work closely with the GM on.

With droid creation, 1D is 1D, whether it's an Attribute, Skill or attachment. In general, the concept behind droids is that the are specialized hardware; ie. they're skill based beings. In general, they have garbage Attributes, and a high level of skill in a skill or related skill groups, with perhaps attachments related to their intended function. This is, IMO, an important aspect of playing a droid, and really highlights that you're playing one; while high attributes are more beneficial, they're not in line with the concept of what a droid is.
Droids may use Skill Specializations... but I don't quite recall the rules for them. Skills can be up to 4D above attributes.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Which i have never understood. If droids are cut out from teh force, why would just "Making one a PC" change that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Which i have never understood. If droids are cut out from teh force, why would just "Making one a PC" change that?

My question exactly (Wow! Garhkal and I agree on something...)

I can see a sentient droid having access to Character Points, perhaps, as a recognition of a sentient being "more than the sum of their parts," but the description of FPs and CPs are quite specific that they are both varying degrees of Force use. The description for droid characters, in turn, is quite specific that droids cannot be Force sensitive or learn to use Force skills...

However, there may be an exception for sentient droids. It's a shaky connection, but in the opening chapters of Heir to the Empire, Luke could get a sense through the Force of Threepio. Is it possible that droids that achieve sentience manage to attain a semblance of life through the Force? At least enough to be detectable by Force powers like Life Detection? If that could be proved, then Force Points wouldn't be out of the question...

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book you're looking for is:Galaxy at War & Gry's Equipment Stats

These are some of the conversion/compilation books that have been put together by some of the members of the pit forums.

-Link from Cheshire's sig.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

I can see a sentient droid having access to Character Points, perhaps, as a recognition of a sentient being "more than the sum of their parts," but the description of FPs and CPs are quite specific that they are both varying degrees of Force use. The description for droid characters, in turn, is quite specific that droids cannot be Force sensitive or learn to use Force skills...

However, there may be an exception for sentient droids. It's a shaky connection, but in the opening chapters of Heir to the Empire, Luke could get a sense through the Force of Threepio. Is it possible that droids that achieve sentience manage to attain a semblance of life through the Force? At least enough to be detectable by Force powers like Life Detection? If that could be proved, then Force Points wouldn't be out of the question...

ALERT the press.. the world is in chaos>>!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have little issue allowing them CP, as i see them more of a manifestation of luck, than the force.. but since they can't be force sensitive, i can't see force points..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

To solve the CP problem just give them 'Skill Points' instead. They work like CPs when raising skills, and cannot be used for other things.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somewhat agree concerning Force Points and Character Points with droids, but it is RAW. I looked into the situation several years ago... and the explanation is in official WEG material, not that I can quite remember what (maybe I should look it up rather than just trying to remember). It has something to do with that, while they're not in direct contact with the Force, they are still of the galaxy and are touched by the Force (unlike, the Yuuzhan Vong, for example, which are outside the Force, Jedi can affect them, sense them, etc)... FP kind of represent unusual shifts in the Force or something like that.

I admit, it's somewhat tenuous Razz
I'm kinda inclined to not give droids Force Points, as they imply to me an effort to direct the flow of the Force (general subconscious), which they can't do. Character Points, yeah, I know they have a Force component in the fluff text, but I'm content with running with the idea of desperate luck and extra effort, rather than the Force per ce.

I'll see if I can find that info later on.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have little issue allowing them CP, as i see them more of a manifestation of luck, than the force.. but since they can't be force sensitive, i can't see force points..

"In my experience, there's no such thing as 'luck'."

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason is that WEG wanted you to be able to play droids. No one would do so without force points and character points. Given C3PO and R2 I think we can say that some droids are 'special'. If that is the force, or just luck, who knows? Even if the mechanic is the same, does it have to represent the same fluff?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: