The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Swoop Racing rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Swoop Racing rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Swoop Racing rules Reply with quote

Came up with some racing rules for my game.

We are playing 2e R&E, but I am not using the Chase rules for the game, don't feel that they capture racing well.

I figured I'd share what I came up with.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B529QDuEl5hPrrDTn6CLEpdtJOz35m9SnIN3IQB7-eM/edit?usp=sharing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Did you check out the Swoopchasing Chapter in Black Sands of Socorro (pg 106) for source material?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Yes, I did. It's what led me to write the rules... I've never felt that the Swoop Chasing section had clearly defined rule mechanics in place, just bits and pieces... so basically I took the obstacles idea from it and applied it to my own thing.

I also created a race tracker to use if you're playing on a VTT.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xTaChAf5aU15rRBXBOS7CHlH-vipjWrh/view?usp=sharing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs to me that this could be a useful basic template for chases in general, maybe with a random chart for generating obstacles.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'm sure we can create something. My favorite part is the Environmental Effect, so when you enter a leg of the race, let's say things like noxious fumes, or fog, are in the way, and before you do anything, you need to roll Stamina or Perception.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could even use these rules, for other races.. Like tauntaun runs, or parkor like races across roofs..
raithyn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing! This is a great tool for pod racing and a strong skeleton for lots of different possible chase-type scenarios.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. This is really great stuff - similar to but a LOT more refined than what I am working on.

I am working on some chase mechanics inspired on the savage worlds and spycraft d20 systems - and this has some similarity (zones, terrain etc.).

I also really like your solution for not using action steps and just a few actions - when i was tinkering with mine - action steps just seemed to bog things down.

It is interesting that your obstacles are more physical hazards than just terrain - I love the idea of predators on the track or slime puddles !

For chases - I just determine how many zones before the chase ends (get into clear space, reach a pickup point etc.).

I really like your simplicity of it - it is a bit more streamlined than what I was working on.

I use "hazards" for what you have defined as obstacles, and I use obstacles for things like parked speeders, or a bantha pulling out ahead of you etc.

Another thing - for my chases - instead of directly attacking the opponent - a player can opt to knock things over etc. (swerve into a food cart, to create an obstacle for someone behind you etc.) - this may have a lower difficulty than hitting a moving target. Obviously there must be potential obstacles for the characters to use.

Overall - this is great stuff - well thought out, well put together and good editing too! Also love your narrative descriptions of the race.

thank you very much for sharing....
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the nice words.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

Another thing - for my chases - instead of directly attacking the opponent - a player can opt to knock things over etc. (swerve into a food cart, to create an obstacle for someone behind you etc.) - this may have a lower difficulty than hitting a moving target. Obviously there must be potential obstacles for the characters to use.

Overall - this is great stuff - well thought out, well put together and good editing too! Also love your narrative descriptions of the race.

I could see also adding in tactics rolls, to id better pathways, or dirty tricks to play on the opponents you're racing against.
Ziz
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
... or dirty tricks to play on the opponents you're racing against.

That's called "Sebulbing". Cool Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Things like that, are stuff not just anyone can think to do, and pull off, without being OVERT in cheating.. WHICH in many races, would likely get you not just expelled/disqualified, but potentially jailed.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
pakman wrote:

I could see also adding in tactics rolls, to id better pathways, or dirty tricks to play on the opponents you're racing against.

It all depends on how complex you want to make it.
The beauty of the rules Ebertran presented was in their simplicity - so we have to be careful to not go too far...

However - your point still stands are far as other options or choices. It all depends on the setting (a race - or how complex of one) or - a chase.

In my chase rules, I add in options for passengers - which would not necessarily apply in a swoop race (unless you consider talking on a helmet comlink with a ground crew watching from droid drones....).

Other characters have the option of actions to assist the pilot/driver. Tactics (or mechanics, or whatever) rolls allow others to participate IF it is a group activity. My mechanic is fairly simple - one of the other characters announces HOW they want to assist - and the GM determines the skill, and any modifiers. Then for every difficulty level they would hit - they give a +1pip bonus to the pilot/driver.

(this is the my house rule for characters helping characters - plausible idea, skill roll = bonus for another player's action).

EXAMPLE
So, for example, in a chase (or a race) where it is a landspeeder (2 characters) the gm may have determined there are multiple paths to take one a particular section/leg for the scene.

GM: "up ahead you are entering the maze of passages in the industrial area of the city - some more dangerous or narrow than others, while your opponents are right behind you.

Passenger player: "Comparing our speeder with the others behind us, are any of the passages more suited to help us out?"

GM: "sure, give me a mechanics roll..." and then this could give a bonus on the pilot's next roll to get (or stay) ahead on this leg of the race.

or if tactics;

Player: "We are going to take a shot around the next bend - any of these paths set up a better angle?"

GM: "Sure, give me a tactics check, will say Easy Difficulty level." Player rolls, add gets a 13 enough for a Moderate; this would grant a +2 pip bonus (+1 for getting enough for Easy, and another +1 for hitting the next Difficulty Level, Moderate).

GM Continues "You have him take a bank between the water tower and the loading docks - and with the opening of the tower legs, you can get a shot on the speeder behind you while they are slowing for their turn" and gives a +2 bonus to an attack roll....

Complications and Hazards
Now, lets say the player giving advice rolled a 1 on the wild die...

GM: "Ok, so you set up your next shot, but the route you chose ended up near the industrial smelters - the area is choked with fumes and heat - each of you give me a stamina check .....". Even if the GM had decided ahead of time there was no environment hazard (Obstacle in the swoop rules) - the gm may decide to add one based on a 1 on a wild die....

So in Summary
So you would have actions the pilot can do (fire weapons, pilot vehicles, use power etc.) And actions the passengers can do (Fire weapons, assist pilot with a skill, repair craft, or use force power etc.).

(side note: My starship combat house rules use a similar method - of different possible actions by role on the ship).

The key is keeping it really simple AND - the idea of Ebertran's rules - skipping the action steps to keep it fast and fluid.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that. Though your "folks on the side lines watching via remote" gives me another idea..

JAMMING!
JawaMan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome and it's so easily portable into 1E too! Thanks for this!

I agree with other posts saying that this template generally works for all kinds of ground chases. This has a lot of potential. Charts to help generate races would be an awesome addition to the document as a bonus, but it's really damn good as it is now. I'll definitely use this as inspiration for chases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: