The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

movement and action penalties?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> movement and action penalties?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: movement and action penalties? Reply with quote

It's my understanding that any movement by a character at cruising speed is considered an action. If that's right, then it counts toward a character's total MAP.

My real question is... does movement actions count toward a character's total MAP when in a vehicle... be it ground vehicle or starship. If so, then what happens when a vehicle is moving at higher speeds, such as "High speed" and the driver chooses NOT to take a movement action (or can he do that?)? Does the vehicle slow down one speed catagory and simply go in a straight line?

Example:
Bob is piloting a speeder at High speed while chasing an imperial speeder. He decides to take two shots with his blaster, but because his chances of hitting are reduced by the movement action, he decides to ONLY take the two shots and NOT take a movement action.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of it was, the vehicle will continue to move at the same speed, but if you don't maneuver it will go in a straight line (or veer to one side or the other if it isn't aligned properly). In terms of how the book has it, treat this like a piloting roll of 0, then match the speed with the terrain difficulty, if the difficulty is over moderate (taking into account the difficulty boosts at the various speed levels) the ship will crash if no maneuver is made.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am generally in agreement with Sabre.
Characters in a moving vehicle only need to use actions if manouvering, changing velocity, or dodging. Otherwise, moving in a relatively straight line does not take an action.
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... if Bob is piloting his X-wing in wide open deep space with nothing around... and he decides to do nothing except fire one shot with his Starship Gunnery, then the X-wing will remain at it's current speed and move in a straight line? Right?
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on if you consider lining something up in the gun sights part of the gunnery roll or part of a piloting/maneuver in an X-Wing which has only forward-firing guns. I'd rule it that if Bob were focusing completely on shooting, if there were anything to crash into, he would probably hit it if he didn't make a piloting roll. If there was anything around to shoot at and he started chasing it, he might become so intent on it that he accidentally rams it.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanion wrote:
So... if Bob is piloting his X-wing in wide open deep space with nothing around... and he decides to do nothing except fire one shot with his Starship Gunnery, then the X-wing will remain at it's current speed and move in a straight line? Right?

Yup.
However, if what he's shooting at is moving, evading, dodging, then he will have to try to match with it to keep the guns on it. Meaning that he will need to make a pilotting action too.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Unless the target is just sitting there (or not changing corse or anything) he would need to do a move action.
leao
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanion wrote:

There are speeds that request an action, even if you don’t have to roll for that. If I remember, one is “normal terrain, cruise speed”.
If you choose not to spend an action for that, you fail your movement and you have to pick you fumble. It’s what happen if you take damage and get unconscious while driving.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup. Unless the target is just sitting there (or not changing corse or anything) he would need to do a move action.

So for instance if the target was the Death Star's exhaust port?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought these rules were a bit flawed, so I think you have to adjust to whatever makes sense.

For instance, is it easy for a TIE fighter to move through Open Space (Easy terrain) with a movement rate of 10 for 1 move of 10 space units, yet Difficult for a Freighter with a move of 3 going 3 moves covering only 9 space units in the same terrain? Are TIEs easier to fly than Freighters? Maybe the maneuverability ratings are meant to offset this discrepancy?

For my games personally, I treat space movement separately from atmospheric vehicle and character movement.

Firstly in space, there's no friction, so according to Newton, objects in space do will stay at a given speed unless acted upon.

Therefore, I treat space move as "Throttle". Hence if a TIE has a move of 10, 10 is 1/4 throttle, 20 is half, 40 is full throttle and so on.

Next, since it's in space, velocity is cumulative. So if a TIE is moving with 1/4 throttle (10), it will move 10 space units the first round, 20 the next, 30 on the third and so forth unless the fighter cuts or increases its throttle.

If a TIE moving at a velocity of 10 space units a round cuts its throttle and does not decelerate, it will continue to move 10 space units a round until acted upon.

Still with me?

Per the rules in the book, a given ship can change its throttle by up to one level per round (unless I got that wrong and it's actually two levels per round). So if the TIE is at a dead stop and wants to increase to full throttle, it will be a half throttle (20) the first round, then full (40) the second.

Ships can decelerate by a maximum of only half throttle, so many times ships simply rotate 180 degrees and apply full throttle to decelerate fully.

In open space, I do not count the velocity (whether it be 10 or 100 units per round) as multiple actions, but I do count each level of throttle as an action since it would be more difficult to maneuver a steadily accelerating vessel.

As for space with obstacles such as asteroids or starship traffic, as long as the vessel is neither accelerating or decelerating, I adjust the difficulty of based on velocity. A TIE with a velocity of 40 units a round will have a much harder time navigating an asteroid field than one traveling at 10 units a round. But in this manner, a freighter that has managed to accelerate to 10 units a round moving through the same asteroid field as a TIE that had only one 10 unit burst of throttle will have the same difficulty.

If you're not yet confused, try this on for size:

Say a TIE fighter and an X-Wing happen to match vectors and are travelling at an astronomical rate (say 100 space units a round or more!). According to relativity, in relation to each other, they are motionless. You can therefore run combat in an arbitrary field of combat (say 50 x 50 space units), and say that both fighters have a velocity of zero, but the combat field itself has a velocity of 100. Therefore both fighters can begin maneuvering and fighting one another within this "bubble" that is moving in itself 100 space units around. The GM will have to keep track of whether or not this combat field or "bubble" will collide with anything while the fighters are preoccupied with each other.

Clear? Don't feel bad if not.

The important thing is to run the game in a way that is easy for you, but also makes sense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leao wrote:
Vanion wrote:

There are speeds that request an action, even if you don’t have to roll for that. If I remember, one is “normal terrain, cruise speed”.
If you choose not to spend an action for that, you fail your movement and you have to pick you fumble. It’s what happen if you take damage and get unconscious while driving.

been there had that happen.. though it was NOT going out cold.. As a gm i have had several instances where someone piloting a ship in an asteroid belt (or getting into it) while fleeing pirates/imps gets his ship shutdown by ion cannons.. so they are stuck at the same move (momentum) but no ability to maneuver...

Quote:
Per the rules in the book, a given ship can change its throttle by up to one level per round (unless I got that wrong and it's actually two levels per round).

Nope you are correct. The 2 cat is for CHARACTER scale.. vehicles/speeders/ships only get 1.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
I always thought these rules were a bit flawed, so I think you have to adjust to whatever makes sense...

...Clear? Don't feel bad if not.

The important thing is to run the game in a way that is easy for you, but also makes sense.

I strongly agree with your first and your last point. Very Happy And your discussion was quite clear from a RW prespective.

I only see a three problems.
1) You are using newtonian mechanics for the sublight movement. Theoretically you could encounter relativistic issues once the velocity accumulates sufficiently. But since a space unit is a kind of vague measure and we do have FTL coms we might be able to ignore that.
2) The accumulated numbers may become large leading to unwieldy caluclations and the dreaded (for some) arithmetic. This will especially occur if the combat doesn't remain within a defined bubble. For example, when when ships are not moving in the same direction in a chase-type situation.
3) This isn't how ships seem to move in the movies. Friction appears to occur in near vacuum and starfighters move more like planes do in an atmosphere. They also appear to have vacuum brakes or something because we sometimes see ships stop quite abruptly e.g. ESB - Millenium Falcon in the asteroid/space slug or landing on the back of the control tower of the SD.

I like real-world movement for some space games such as Traveller, but for Star Wars I would probably stick to a simple, cinematic system over a more complex, realistic system. But YMMV. And you did do a nice job of walking through how acceleration and velocity work without friction, e.g. in a near vacuum. Thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: