The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

To dodge, or not to dodge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> To dodge, or not to dodge? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: To dodge, or not to dodge? Reply with quote

In other words, do you use the surprise rules from the main book, where if someone successfully sneaks up to a target, they get no dodge/parry against his attacks?

If you do use surprise, how many actions does the enemy get? 1? 1 full round??
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we do the surprise rule, if they sneak up, they get one free attack.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A surprised character usually has no idea an attack is coming (if from behind) or very little time to respond (if from the front). Therefore they should receive no dodge, or suffer from stiff penalties to doge (only being able to dodge a surprise attack from the front). It is basically the GM's ruling whether the character has enough time to make a reactionary move, and if so, at what cost.

A character with the element of surprise has a split second, enough time for 1 action only, as an entire round is 5 seconds, and 5 seconds is a long time when you think about it. Most people realize they are attacked when the shooting starts.

**edit**I might possibly allow two actions if one of them is movement.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK kage. Let's say an imperial baddie was being hunted by the players. They enter his lair, which is nice and dark (some lights but not enough to give proper lighting, so all get a +2d bonus to sneak -2D to search. He stalks them, and surprises one. Takes a shot, and for a called second action is to go back into 'sneak mode'. Would that be acceptable?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no. Before he has a chance to hide again, initiative would need be determined, and players would get a chance to spot him (opposed rolls).
I meant the movement as in running and firing at same time. Or, pupping up from behind a crate and squeezing off a round. Actions and movement that air within a hair's breath of each other.

Now, in your example, it is possible the players fail to spot the enemy, or if he has initiative he dashes behind cover before their reaction, but they would still have that split second where they had the chance to see him.
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games I use rules just like KageRyu. I allow for one free attack, if the surprising character is not attackig but doing other things that will not compromise his position then he will still retain the element of surprise. For example if the stalking party decided to make a called shot on the target he would get the one free shot. but lets say instead of shooting he decided he wanted to lay a mine in a shadowy hallway prior to the target getting there then he would still be able to get additional free actions until he decided to attack.

As for your second question as a general rule I would not allow something like this unless maybe the stalker decided on a stealthy form of attack. example if the stalker decided to shoot one of his targets 1 of 4 imperial army officers no stealth afterwards. But if the stalker decided to come from behind and slice the rear officers throat open with a knife and take the body back into the shadows, i would roll a perception check for the others and if they all fail then he could continue on his surprise attacks.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any difference to that, if he was using a stealthy method of attacking, such as a silenced firearm, or magnacaster? What about a bola? Or the rebel spec force maneuver silent strike?
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silenced firearm, silent strike, bow, bola or magna caster I would allow as long as he chose the rear target and the rest of the targets did not roll high enough on their perception to notice anything. Blasters as everyone knows shoot a beam of light and I would not allow for that attack to be stealthy in the dark since it generates light.

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were real life and someone came up behind you without you knowing it, then you'd have no way of avoiding the attack. If there were other's with you and they heard a gun shot or you scream, then they would be alerted to the danger and so the attacker would not be as likely to pull off another sneak attack immediately. If the attack was silent, then the attacker could get away with another attack sooner.

Wanted Poster
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with silenced attacks, I would say the others must roll initiative, but can not attack until they see a target. Let me explain a little:
• Seeing a body drop, or hearing a muffled noise might alert you to the attacker. So, being on heightened alert, we roll initiative to determine attack order, and everyone declares how many actions to take.
• The characters being victimized MUST use their first action on Perception or notice to see the stealthy assasin, or to look around, etc. The attacker can easily use his first action to get behind cover, renew his stealth, and remain hidden (and if he has initiative he will succeed without the others knowing he's there). He could just as easily make another attack, and unless spotted or detected, is still attacking in surprise as long as he stays out of vision, succeeds at stealth (don't forget MAP), and uses a relatively quiet attack mode.
• Once the attacker is spotted, then he may be counterattacked, until and unless he seeks cover and renews his hide and seek with the characters.

Even in this fashion, a character with good hide/sneak, and the proper environment, can make short work of a PC group. Keep in mind, if the Stealthy attacker fails to incapacitate or mortally wound one of his targets, his target knows he's being attacked, and, unless a ranged hit, exactly where the attacker is.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even in this fashion, a character with good hide/sneak, and the proper environment, can make short work of a PC group. Keep in mind, if the Stealthy attacker fails to incapacitate or mortally wound one of his targets, his target knows he's being attacked, and, unless a ranged hit, exactly where the attacker is.

I understand that point very well kage. I was just wondering if it would be considered evil for a gm to have an npc use this type of tactic?

On a related note. One of the rebel spec force martial art maneuvers (from rules of engagement) is known as silent strike. It allows the person, if he sneaks up to a target and rolls above a 20 on his M.art roll, to choose whether to auto incap or auto kill. Would it be wrong for say, an npc who has this skill, to use it in the auto kill mode?
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I try to have the PC's enemys want them alive. Several reasons for this action are for the Enemy:
1. to gloat over them
2. to boast about his exploits with his peers

on a different note:
1. try not to automatically kill the PC's (killing the PC's is actually very easy)
2. it makes them work smarter when someone is captured than when one is killed.

But i would not stop an assassin from knocking out a PC with silent strike and taking him into the shadows to move on to the next PC, I do not think that is evil.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it is not in the npc's mentality to capture? Not all are that way.
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What if it is not in the npc's mentality to capture? Not all are that way.

Me personally, I would not use an NPC like that. I have had many a character die while I have GM'd, but I have never attempted to try and purposely kill them. Then again the players I have have a long history with me and I believe would not put them selves in a position like that knowingly. They try to keep them selves below the radar.

Wanted Poster
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I understand that point very well kage. I was just wondering if it would be considered evil for a gm to have an npc use this type of tactic?

On a related note. One of the rebel spec force martial art maneuvers (from rules of engagement) is known as silent strike. It allows the person, if he sneaks up to a target and rolls above a 20 on his M.art roll, to choose whether to auto incap or auto kill. Would it be wrong for say, an npc who has this skill, to use it in the auto kill mode?

As a general rule, I would rarely consider having an NPC this dangerous pop up. Certainly not without lots of warnings and hints to the PCs as to what they were up against, and not without oportunity to withdraw as well. As for Auto-Kill, I tend to not use auto-anything in most of my games, for PC or NPC alike, as it is just too cheap. I say damage rolls are required, and comparrisons must be made. This helps maintain a balanced game, keeps the PCs from abusing rules, and helps prevent situations where players complain because the NPC used a "cheap rule" to kill the PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: