The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bounty Hunter Armor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Bounty Hunter Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discosoc
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Bounty Hunter Armor Reply with quote

Why exactly does this armor require powersuit operation? It just seems like high quality armor with good protection values.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter Armor Reply with quote

discosoc wrote:
Why exactly does this armor require powersuit operation? It just seems like high quality armor with good protection values.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4732

I thought you might find this thread helpful. Feel free to quote from that and add to this new thread, or bump that old thread. Either way is good.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
discosoc
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I read through that, but never really saw why the armor is considered powersuit armor (or at least requires that skill). It certainly doesn't *look* like it has any kind of servos or anything, nor does it seem to provide anything beyond good raw defenses. No lifting bonus, built in comms, environmental protection or really anything that I normally see on powersuit ops armor.

As far as I can tell, it's unique in that regard. Compare it to various military/combat armor, like the Rodian Protector Armor or CompForce Trooper Armor, and it's nearly identical other than using the powersuit ops skill for something. It doesn't really seem any bulkier or different than various forms of Stormtrooper armor, excepting the later's helmet bonuses.

Is there maybe a description of what's so special about Bounty Hunter Armor somewhere that I might have missed?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

discosoc wrote:
Thanks. I read through that, but never really saw why the armor is considered powersuit armor (or at least requires that skill). It certainly doesn't *look* like it has any kind of servos or anything, nor does it seem to provide anything beyond good raw defenses. No lifting bonus, built in comms, environmental protection or really anything that I normally see on powersuit ops armor.

As far as I can tell, it's unique in that regard. Compare it to various military/combat armor, like the Rodian Protector Armor or CompForce Trooper Armor, and it's nearly identical other than using the powersuit ops skill for something. It doesn't really seem any bulkier or different than various forms of Stormtrooper armor, excepting the later's helmet bonuses.

Without putting in the research, I'm inclined to agree with you that it shouldn't be a powersuit, in general. But then again, there may not really be any sort of "stock" bounty hunter armor. Similar to what someone said in that thread, maybe these suits of armor are unique creations or at least heavily customized to the wearer.

I don't put a whole lot of stock into RAW stats. It's clear the many various authors' works weren't scrutinized too closely or edited with respect to the game system too much. I'm sure it was mainly, Were there stats included with the contracted fluff text, yes or no? Some author could have just thought, Yeah there's a powersuit skill and this should be a powersuit. Period.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
discosoc
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, thanks.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I looked in the original 2e core ("blue/Vader") book for something else, and came across the stats for this...

First of all, in both editions, "Bounty Hunter Armor" is just a general category, and the "Corellian Powersuit" is one specific example. I agree with you about the pictured armor in R&E not looking like a powersuit, but the image of the Corellian Powersuit in Wookieepedia is very similar to the one in R&E and likewise doesn't appear to be an actual powersuit either. Wookieepedia says the base price for the powersuit is 10,000 credits.

The original 2e core stats (which have no picture) have one little thing that R&E doesn't, it adds +1D to your Lifting. That is an actual powersuit, but it also says in the fluff capsule that it enhances Strength in personal combat without that being represented in the stats (typical). It is the same 2,500 base price as the "bounty hunter armor" in R&E.

REUP seems to resolve everything. The title of the section is Corellian Powersuit (not bounty hunter armor). And the powersuit provide a bonus to Lifting, and also strength damage (in brawling and melee). REUP's base price for the powersuit is 10,000 like in Wookieepedia. In REUP, "Bounty Hunter Armor" only appears in the stats of a master bounty hunter in the GM Characters section, and the game stats for that match the bounty hunter armor stats in R&E. The only thing lacking is a picture for the powersuit.

So after research, I would suggest using REUP for the powersuit stats and powersuit price. For "bounty hunter armor" in R&E, I would suggest ignoring the references to powersuit and otherwise go by those stats and price as a base for bounty hunter armor.

For an actual powersuit, I would imagine it would be something a little bulkier than armor. But one advantage of a powersuit would be that the Dex penalty doesn't effect Mechanical skills so you would be using your unhindered Powersuit Op skill to move and dodge as long as it was undamaged and had power. But like REUP I wouldn't even classify the Corellian Powersuit as "bounty hunter armor" because I imagine that a lot of other people would like using the powersuit, especially high Mechanical characters.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: