The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Landspeeders on the water?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Landspeeders on the water?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Landspeeders on the water? Reply with quote

How do other GMs handle repulsorlift vehicles that typically travel low-to-the ground; aka 'landspeeders' when encountering a body of water?

My personal ruling is that 'liquid' does not register with the craft's repulsors, as a result, the standard landspeeder cannot travel across water; once it is in water that's deeper than it's maximum altitude...it sinks.

I have hybrid craft that have boat hulls or otherwise have flotation; when they get to deep water they are propelled via hydroplane. These are a bit more expensive and popular as recreational vehicles.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good question and has been discussed here before. It seems to me the only way repulsorlifts would work to keep something afloat in the air above water would be if repulsorlifts work with respect to sea level. However a repulsorcraft's flight ceiling would seem to be a specific distance above a ground surface they are traveling over (regardless of what "sea level" they are at).

If water just doesn't register, why doesn't it register?

Repulsorlift technology does seem to just be gravity cancelation effect because the giant droid carrier passed over Qui-Gon and Jar Jar harmlessly to them, so there was no force pushing down like the weight of a real vehicle does on the ground it passes over. So perhaps a repulsorcraft's flight ceiling is independent to how repulsorlift technology works. But if so, then what does determine maximum altitude? I'd be willing to accept repulsorlifts working above water if I can rationalize what limits landspeeders to staying close to the ground and what determines a vehicle's specific flight ceiling.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup/ It was discussed somewhat in the following 2 threads

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1288&highlight=water

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1733&highlight=water
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup/ It was discussed somewhat in the following 2 threads

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1288&highlight=water

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1733&highlight=water

Thanks!

Those were some fairly old threads.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That they were... Its nice to use the search function from time to time.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That they were... Its nice to use the search function from time to time.

I always try to use search first; but sometimes its hard to know what terms to search FOR. Most of the time it seems to return just about every thread on the site not matter what I put in.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I know a few other forums, allows you to put in just one word initially to generate up a big list, then you can narrow your search IN that list with another word.

Such as say i was looking for a thread on non-magical healing for an adnd game. I could start my search with Healing, then sub-search it with non-magical..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I like a Back to the Future solution... [s]hoverboards[/s] repulsorlifts will work just fine over water, but you need power for propulsion. Since most repulsorlifts have that power, they work.

Now, you might have some fluids over which they don't work, but that would be a specific effect. So, they'll be fine over water or liquid methane, but the silt of the Estuary of the Forked Tongue? It's too fine for repulsorlifts to work, except on the rare mudflats.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my understanding of how repulsorlifts function, landspeeder-type repulsorlifts still function over water, but lose some speed when they do. The reason for this is, in a nutshell, ground-effect repulsorlifts use tractor beam tech to, in effect, pull on the ground underneath them to generate forward movement. This works fine on solid ground, and even on loose dirt or sand, but anything in a liquid state, while still providing a sufficient surface to lever against to generate thrust, will also be forcing the liquid in the opposite direction, creating a wake.

For game use, I'd go with the following:
    Unless specifically tuned for nautical use, ground-effect repulsorlifts suffer the following restrictions:

1). Altitude reduced by 50%
    2). All Terrain Difficulties increased by +10

On the other hand, a repulsorlift specifically tuned to operate on or over liquid will function normally.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: