The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cover Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cover Fire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Cover Fire Reply with quote

-or-
How Notoriously Bad Shots Were Able to Hold an Empire:

Cover Fire
A character firing at a rate of 3 can provide cover fire, which provides 1/2 cover (+2D6 to hit) to self and allies, against opposition in the field of cover fire. Unless the opposition itself has at least 3/4 cover, each character in the cover fire zone takes damage if a 1 is rolled on the wild die for an action. A character providing cover fire does not roll initiative, and the cover is active for the entire round.

Squad Cover Fire:
A squad united under Leadership can use tactics to coordinate and more effectively fill a region with cover fire. Like standard Cover Fire, Squad Cover Fire provides 1/2 cover (+2D6 to hit) to allies against opposition at moderate range in the field of cover fire for the entire round. At the leader's initiative each character, without at least 3/4 cover, in the field of cover fire rolls 1D6 for each character laying down cover fire, and any 1's denote a hit. This is the main tactic for Storm Troopers, which produces low accuracy as a single member, but effectiveness as a squad. If the cover fire region is spread to more than three hexes per Squad member use the single Cover fire rules.

So, thoughts? On one hand it may be a little tweeky, but to does mean less rolling, so it should speed combat, and the flavor seems to fit what we see in the movies.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules of Engagement has a Suppressing Fire rule, where the number of shots fired was added to the difficulty of anyone in the target area attempting to shoot back.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other then when their blasters are on stun... or when shooting unarmed villagers... do the storm troopers hit anything at all in the films? I guess there are some hits on Hoth and perhaps in the space battles... but are those storm troopers?

In any case, I rather like to make the storm troopers fight like they know how to fight. This keeps the number of combatants to a manageable level, and storm troopers are somewhat "elite" in my games. In other words, low level heroes have trouble with them, and it takes a bunch of them to threaten heroes with some experience under their belts.

As for the write up, from what I can gather, it seems pretty solid. Though something about increasing the difficulty to hit for a suppressed shooter doesn't sit well with me... seems like maybe he should be forced to make a dodge roll, and if he succeeds by... say... 10 or more he can shoot. If he succeeds by 5 or more, he doesn't get hit, but he cannot shoot; and if his roll does not win by at least 5, he gets hit. Just an idea.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to do well when not shooting at heroes; the boarding of the Tantive IV, for instance.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is cause in the films, the 'heroes' had script immunity'.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whch is basically what I was getting at: either we want the PCs in danger or we do not. If the idea is to make them especially lowsy shooters, then a GM my be better serves by fudging dice rolls, etc.

The way I run it, if the heroes are geting shot at, their lives are on the line.

Depending on the experience level of the particular stormies invoolved, they may even use really, really good tactics.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And that is cause in the films, the 'heroes' had script immunity'.

Okay, but doesn't the RAW essentially do the same thing on a sliding scale?

Think about it for a second...

Even the basic, starting level PC already has an advantage over Minor NPCs. Even if the player puts no dice into Dodge, the character still has the advantage just once over a Minor NPC by spending his one FP on a Dex roll to dodge a blaster shot. All other things being equal (like the skill level of the attacking storm troopers), the more experienced a PC becomes, the harder they are to hit. Why? More attribute dice, higher skill levels, Character Points and Force Points.

With that in mind, look at the WEG stats for the film characters. Very high skill levels, backed by large supplies of CPs and FPs: more than enough to survive situations that would kill off most PCs. It'd take decades of gaming for a PC to reach that skill level. There's your script immunity: improve your character.

We game in a system where the more experienced character is more likely to survive a great many threats that would kill lesser beings. This isn't real life, where even larger than life heroes are just as vulnerable to being shot or killed as the rest of us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: