The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

CeraMax Curiass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> CeraMax Curiass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: CeraMax Curiass Reply with quote

Part of some new equipment I'm introducing in my current pirate campaign.

CeraMax Curiass
Designed to be a countermeasure against blaster fire the CeraMax uses a propritary polyceramic material formed into multiple plates to protect the torso of the wearer. Providing superior protection from the thermal effects of blaster fire and respectable defense against kinetic assaults. The CeraMax can be used alone but is intended to be used as a supplement to conventional blast vests.
MANUFACTURE'S WARNING: CeraMax armor should be inspected frequently to ensure that ceramic material's structural integrity. Repeated blaster or projectile hits may cause thermal/mechanical stress fractures and compromise structural integrity. Failure to follow maintenance protocols included in official documentation voids all warranties made by Creshaldyne Industries or its authorized distributers.

Model: Creshaldyne CeraMax Curiass
Type: Personal armor
Scale: Character
Cost: 300
Availability: 2, R
Game Notes: +2 vs Energy and +1 vs Physical attacks. Can be combined with standard blast vests. When resiting against energy attacks a roll of 1 on the wild die results in the ceramic plates suffering from a catostrophic failure rendering the vest destroyed. When resiting physical attacks a roll of 1 or 2 on the wild die results in the ceramic plates suffering from a catastrophic failure rendering the vest destroyed.
Black market knock of versions when resiting physical or energy attacks a roll of 1 or 2 on the wild die results in the ceramic plates suffering from a catostrophic failure rendering the vest destroyed.

Showmecreds/02:4:7:44/Ars* I've seen this stuff and it actually will allow your average groundpounder to stand up to at least your standard blaster pistol bolt. Mind you it will eventually break but if it was perfect everyone would have one.

Techwatcher/02:5:8:02/Nal* Be careful I've seen knockoff versions especially on less advanced Rim worlds where the locals are looking to try and even the odds against off world blasters. Sometimes they're constructed from nothing more than ceramic tiles usually employed in metal foundries back by whatever light weight alloys they can find and held together with commercial adhesives. Sometimes they work for a while other times they come apart of the first hit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this. Since you BTB can wear a blast vest over a combat jumpsuit normally and combine those 2 items, and THIS can be worn over a blast vest, could you triple stack these with the CJS and BV combo?

If so, what if any, is the dex penalty?
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CeraMax Curiass Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
CeraMax Curiass

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't it be "cuirass"?

The Brain wrote:
Model: Creshaldyne CeraMax Curiass
Type: Personal armor
Scale: Character
Cost: 300
Availability: 2, R
Game Notes: +2 vs Energy and +1 vs Physical attacks. Can be combined with standard blast vests. When resiting against energy attacks a roll of 1 on the wild die results in the ceramic plates suffering from a catostrophic failure rendering the vest destroyed. When resiting physical attacks a roll of 1 or 2 on the wild die results in the ceramic plates suffering from a catastrophic failure rendering the vest destroyed.
Black market knock of versions when resiting physical or energy attacks a roll of 1 or 2 on the wild die results in the ceramic plates suffering from a catostrophic failure rendering the vest destroyed.

So if the user doesn't roll a 1, but the vest still doesn't result in the user escaping injury, what's the state of the vest? It would still be destroyed, since a blaster bolt blew through it, correct? Or do you have something different in mind? And as gahrkal stated, there needs to be a Dexterity penalty if you're layering hard armor on top of even a heavy jacket, much less another type of armor. I really like the idea though.

The Brain wrote:
Showmecreds/02:4:7:44/Ars* I've seen this stuff and it actually will allow your average groundpounder to stand up to at least your standard blaster pistol bolt. Mind you it will eventually break but if it was perfect everyone would have one.

Techwatcher/02:5:8:02/Nal* Be careful I've seen knockoff versions especially on less advanced Rim worlds where the locals are looking to try and even the odds against off world blasters. Sometimes they're constructed from nothing more than ceramic tiles usually employed in metal foundries back by whatever light weight alloys they can find and held together with commercial adhesives. Sometimes they work for a while other times they come apart of the first hit.

I love these message-board-style snippets! Just like in Gundark's Gear Datalog!
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like this. Since you BTB can wear a blast vest over a combat jumpsuit normally and combine those 2 items, and THIS can be worn over a blast vest, could you triple stack these with the CJS and BV combo?

If so, what if any, is the dex penalty?

If that came up in play I'd say nope. Real reason game balance. In game explanation that a 3rd inner layer is so insulated by the first two that it doesn't really make a difference. So if a player wanted to put this on over a combat jump suit instead of a blast vest that would be ok.
As for Dex penalty I envision the CeraMax Cuirass as only covering the torso and maybe a groin protector leaving the limbs unencumbered so no penalty the 16% chance of it coming apart with each hit is enough of a drawback to balance things out.

Matthias777 wrote:
So if the user doesn't roll a 1, but the vest still doesn't result in the user escaping injury, what's the state of the vest? It would still be destroyed, since a blaster bolt blew through it, correct? Or do you have something different in mind? And as gahrkal stated, there needs to be a Dexterity penalty if you're layering hard armor on top of even a heavy jacket, much less another type of armor. I really like the idea though.

If you use RAW all the time yes. I however don't always enforce that one. Sometimes I interpret a a wounded/killed result as an attack finding a gap in armor or hitting a part of the body thats not armored.

Example:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/welas/images/a/ad/Body_armor_frontback.png/revision/latest?cb=20120330180952

Or the classic:
http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nick-a-tron/media/USCM2.jpg.html

And meanwhile on a less advanced Outer Rim Region planet...
https://youtu.be/boX6KiZQ4w0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: