The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

AHH i got trampled by that walker!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> AHH i got trampled by that walker! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: AHH i got trampled by that walker! Reply with quote

In the Empire's at war game, we see both walkers (and other vehicles) running over people. In Empire strike back, we see luke Almost getting to be the goo on the AT-AT's sole of one of it's foot.

So what would be the damage if a walker stepped on you? What would the 'to hit' be considered? A brawling attack (defended against with brawling parry/melee parry) or an area attack defended with dodge?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have an area attack with dodge. and the damage would be the vehicle's hull with scale modifier - plus speed modifier if it's ramming.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
I would have an area attack with dodge. and the damage would be the vehicle's hull with scale modifier - plus speed modifier if it's ramming.

This seems reasonable. I'd probably just have the character roll running or dodge on a moderate/difficult difficulty to avoid the foot crashing down on them. I suppose if the pilot was actively trying to squash infantry, they'd roll opposed piloting versus dodge with scale modifier.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AHH i got trampled by that walker! Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So what would be the damage if a walker stepped on you? What would the 'to hit' be considered? A brawling attack (defended against with brawling parry/melee parry) or an area attack defended with dodge?

Damage? I would say a plot determined amount, but honestly if stepped on by a Walker I would say instant death. Since these are heroes this can be amended to Incapacitated or Mortally Wounded.

I would treat it as an area attack using a grenade as our model. Per RAW, if you make your Dodge roll you hit the ground and take no damage. In this case, I would move the character to the edge of the area, placing them just outside the "footprint." Choose a random direction for the player.

Another possible idea is that the Body Strength/Hull would equate to the Strength of the item, then add the scale difference.

Example: Imperial AT-AT has a Body 6D, so vs character scale it would do 10D (6D+4D), vs vehicles 8D (6D+2D), etc.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: AHH i got trampled by that walker! Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Damage? I would say a plot determined amount, but honestly if stepped on by a Walker I would say instant death. Since these are heroes this can be amended to Incapacitated or Mortally Wounded.

I would treat it as an area attack using a grenade as our model. Per RAW, if you make your Dodge roll you hit the ground and take no damage. In this case, I would move the character to the edge of the area, placing them just outside the "footprint." Choose a random direction for the player.

I agree, if the character fails the rolls by a small amount, I might make it so that most of them clears the foot, then roll body die to see which limb they lose.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those saying it would be dodge, akin to a grenade. Why? If a creature (like say a rancor, or Kryatt dragon) stepped on you it would be brawl vs brawl parry? is it cause its a vehicle and not a living critter?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree that versus a very large anything, be it vehicle or creature, it would be default. Brawling parry sorta implies your blocking and your not blocking a rancor let or a AT-AT foot.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For those saying it would be dodge, akin to a grenade. Why? If a creature (like say a rancor, or Kryatt dragon) stepped on you it would be brawl vs brawl parry? is it cause its a vehicle and not a living critter?

Specifically, the character is attempting to avoid being hit by someone piloting a vehicle, which is not brawling parry. It wouldn't be brawling parry if you're trying to avoid being hit by a car or a crashing starship. A creature rolls brawling, a vehicle does not, that's where the distinction is.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a Dodge Vs. area effect weapon to avoid Walker/Ship scale damage
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AHH i got trampled by that walker! Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

I agree, if the character fails the rolls by a small amount, I might make it so that most of them clears the foot, then roll body die to see which limb they lose.

Is head considered a limb on the chart? If so, that would be an epically unlucky roll ... Wink ... pop, like a grape ....

Sorry, a touch morbid, I've had a long day already and am in a dark odd yet silly mood ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AHH i got trampled by that walker! Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Is head considered a limb on the chart? If so, that would be an epically unlucky roll ... Wink ... pop, like a grape ....

Sorry, a touch morbid, I've had a long day already and am in a dark odd yet silly mood ...

Depends. Maybe. If I liked the character a lot, I might do a hidden roll and have a head check be 2 limbs severed rather than 1. I feel bad for Harris every time I read your recap, I might as GM take pity on him and just remove both his legs.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it similar to what a number of you have said, Dodge (and perhaps Running) vs. Vehicle skill of the pilot, with the damage being the Body/Hull + Scale.

What exactly is an area attack? I know what the definition is, but don't recall game mechanics for it.

And I don't know that I'd do a roll to see where it hit (body-wise); head would actually be the most logical part, being as the attack is coming from above. I suppose if I was having pity on the character (like the afore-mentioned Harris) - which is probably what I'd do with most of my long-running PCs, to be honest - I'd have it crush a leg rather than land on their noggin.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AHH i got trampled by that walker! Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Depends. Maybe. If I liked the character a lot, I might do a hidden roll and have a head check be 2 limbs severed rather than 1. I feel bad for Harris every time I read your recap, I might as GM take pity on him and just remove both his legs.

DougRed4 wrote:

I suppose if I was having pity on the character (like the afore-mentioned Harris) - which is probably what I'd do with most of my long-running PCs, to be honest - I'd have it crush a leg rather than land on their noggin.

Thanks, glad you all like the (mis)adventures of Harris. Be sure to read next week's recap. Wink

Oh yeah, thanks for the sympathy too. Yeah, early in the adventures his poor luck was amazing. Now it wasn't his bad luck, it was him being him and being a hero ... Some times that is dangerous ...

As for the head damage I mentioned above, I was picturing a Monty Python like scene with the character running screaming and leaping to save himself. But, completely misjudging it and jumping right to the edge of where the walker's foot is going to put down ... then pop like a grape ... like I said, morbid but silly ... now that that is out of my system.

Like I said before, and you all have implied. To me it is what is best for the narrative ... and if the character has earned sympathy, or is idiotic and deserving of becoming goo. How do you rule that ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want the damage to be lethal, I would do what has been suggested here already. Body + scale vs soak.

Quote:
What exactly is an area attack? I know what the definition is, but don't recall game mechanics for it.

An area attack means that all characters within a given area must dodge or take damage. He used grenade rules as an example, although it's a bit flawed in this situation because a character just barely inside the area of the Walker's foot will still take full damage, whereas with a grenade, damage is usually lessened near the edge of it's area effect.

So as far as I can tell, explosions and environmental hazards are the only attacks that have an area effect.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
An area attack means that all characters within a given area must dodge or take damage. He used grenade rules as an example, although it's a bit flawed in this situation because a character just barely inside the area of the Walker's foot will still take full damage, whereas with a grenade, damage is usually lessened near the edge of it's area effect.

So as far as I can tell, explosions and environmental hazards are the only attacks that have an area effect.

Cool. That syncs up with what I figured, but don't think I've seen that in play yet. Thanks for the clarification. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: