The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

X-Wing Vs Star Destroyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> X-Wing Vs Star Destroyer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: X-Wing Vs Star Destroyer Reply with quote

Here's the scenario:

X-Wing versus Star Destroyer.

X-Wing is coming in from the port side trying to fly toward the Star Destroyer from the port side. On that side the Star Desttroyer has 15 heavy turbolasers that do 16D starfighter scale damage, and 10 turbolasers that do 13D starfighter scale damage, both with the same space range of 3-15/35/75.

The X-Wing's only weapon that exceeds the scale modifier is the proton torpedo, 3D Capital ship scale damage, and a range of 1/3/7.

The X-Wing has a speed of 8, and for the purposes of this example, the Star Destroyer is stationary.

Round 1 - Assume the X-Wing is starting at the maximum range of the Star Destroyer's range (75), and traveling at high speed (16) so it can dodge. After one round the Star Destroyer has fired 25 shots at the X-Wing. If one of those shots hit the X-wing, it is gone. At the end of round one the X-wing is now 59 space away. It is out of range of the Star Destroyer with it's proton torpedo.

Round 2 – The X-Wing is at 59 space and traveling at 16 space. The Star Destroyer fires 25 shots and the X-Wing is still too far away to fire a proton torpedo.

Round 3 – The X-Wing is at 43 space and traveling at 16 space. The Star Destroyer fires 25 shots and the X-Wing is still too far away to fire a proton torpedo.

Round 4 – The X-Wing is at 27 space and traveling at 16 space. The Star Destroyer fires 25 shots and the X-Wing is still too far away to fire a proton torpedo.

Round 5 – The X-Wing is at 11 space and traveling at 16 space. The Star Destroyer fires 25 shots and the X-Wing is finally close enough to fire a proton torpedo. It fires one 3D capital ship damage proton torpedo against a 7D+1 hull. The X-Wing passes over the Star Destroyer ending five space away, allowing the starboard side of the Star Destroyer to fire another 25 rounds at the X-Wing.

The X-Wing has to dodge 150 turbolaser blasts just to fire a single, futile shot at the Star Destroyer.

You can talk about combined fire but the entire flight/squadron is going to have a hard time making a combined fire shot while dodging salvos of turbolaser fire just trying to get close enough. Not impossible, but hardly likely, and extremely difficult. Unless you're Rogue Squadron and have plot powered weapons.

---------------

As time allows I'll put up more scenarios. Thoughts?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget an ISD also has ion cannons (15 in the side arc)..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than rolling 25 To Hit rolls per round for the turbolasers (which is pretty useless at a -6D Scale modifier), you'd be better off combining the fire of all the batteries in one arc, then applying the resulting coordination bonus to Fire Control. Depending on the method used, you can actually offset the scale penalty and have a chance of hitting (the 2R&E method adds +1 for every cannon being coordinated, so 25 cannon adds up to +8D+1)

Either way, yes, its pretty useless to attack an ISD with a single X-Wing, and no one has come up with any truly workable rules for starfighter squadrons working as units. In fact, under the 2R&E rules, a squadron commander would need a Command of 12D to pull it off.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he wouldn't. Just 5d. two d going for each of the 2 other flight leaders, and 3d for the 3 other fighters in his flight.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
No he wouldn't. Just 5d. two d going for each of the 2 other flight leaders, and 3d for the 3 other fighters in his flight.

I'd probably house rule it that way, as well, but the RAW makes no provision for chain-of-command.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. i could have sworn i saw it wrote that in one of the examples, it showed a starship's captain commanding his gunnery officers, who in turn commanded each of their batteries of lasers..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested something like that in my Capital Ship Command concept, but I just double-checked the Combined Actions section in the 1E, 2E & 2R&E rulebook, plus the 1E Rules Companion, and all of the examples presented are for one character directly commanding a small group, with no intermediaries.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know.. So did i (except the rules companion and 1e book)..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: