The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 space
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> D6 space
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: D6 space Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Funds mechanic in star wars?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: D6 space Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Has anyone tried the Funds mechanic in star wars?

No, but I find it completely ridiculous to randomize something that is not so random. If you or anyone can explain the appeal of rolling dice to determine if a character has or can borrow the money to pay for something or not, that would be great. I just don't get it.

Now if a GM doesn't want to bother with anyone keeping track of their funds and just wants to hand-waive yes or no for PCs to buy things, I can understand that a lot more than calculating a Funds stat and randomizing the ability to purchase things with dice rolls. I do feel rolling dice is fun, but to me, the concept of Funds is dice-happy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed to me a lazy alternative to figuring out how much money everything cost in-system. It was always frustrating when I was running settings using the D6 F/A/S books to figure out how much something would cost in gold/dollars/credits.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an annoying trend I've seen in game design in the last few years. The idea that simple math is sooo hard that it must be avoided whenever possible. So instead we get this absurd concept that you don't know exactly how much money you have in a bank account or even in your pocket until you actually try to buy something. I've put games back on the store shelf that I was ready to buy after skimming through them and finding that foolishness. Money as a medium of exchange is already an abstract concept I think 99.9999999999999999999% of people who have the smarts to play a table top RPG have mastered, does really need to be abstracted even further?
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might use this mechanic in only a FEW specific situations:

*During Character creation only to determine starting equipment/money
*For NPCs attempting to buy stuff off of PCs
*Maybe for more abstract situations like applying for a credit line
*Maybe for a one-off generic sci-fi adventure where I haven't had time for world building and don't know the specific cost of stuff.

In terms of day-to-day "How much is that blaster in the window?" transactions, I would NEVER use this system
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
This is an annoying trend I've seen in game design in the last few years. The idea that simple math is sooo hard that it must be avoided whenever possible. So instead we get this absurd concept that you don't know exactly how much money you have in a bank account or even in your pocket until you actually try to buy something. I've put games back on the store shelf that I was ready to buy after skimming through them and finding that foolishness. Money as a medium of exchange is already an abstract concept I think 99.9999999999999999999% of people who have the smarts to play a table top RPG have mastered, does really need to be abstracted even further?

I find this to be very amusing since most of the game systems I have looked over during the past decade or so seem to increase the amount of bookwork and record keeping to rediculous levels. I have not bought a single game system that was created since d20 was released.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the reasons someone persuaded me to take a look at FATE. I'm only party way through reading the core book, but it looks interesting.
Law964
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True20 (and I would assume, Mutants and Masterminds) has a similar system to the Funds in D6 Space. It is a little less swingy, but doesn't alleviate anyone's issues with not knowing their exact bank account. We have toyed around with it, but I generally just make the call on what can be found and afforded based on the adventure and PC circumstances. We have never really had an issue with body looting, either. The smuggler *would* grab something if it was packaged in bulk and ready to go, though. Assuming transport was available.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law964, welcome to the Pit.

jawa1138 wrote:
The Brain wrote:

I find this to be very amusing since most of the game systems I have looked over during the past decade or so seem to increase the amount of bookwork and record keeping to rediculous levels. I have not bought a single game system that was created since d20 was released.

And there is nothing wrong with that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: