The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

advanced skill: martial arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> advanced skill: martial arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: advanced skill: martial arts Reply with quote

I was thinking about doing martial arts as an advanced skill.

Requirements: dex, str, per at 3D

First 3D of martial arts learn: punch, kick, and weapon block.

After the 3D then the char can specialize.
If specializing the only techniques available are the ones listed with the specialization.

If not specialized may learn any of the techniques.

The advanced skill dice maybe added to brawling & brawling parry, but techniques can only be used with advanced skill dice.

Am not sure if adding to melee & melee parry would work also, that might be based off of specialization and techniques.

Might make a technique that allows other techniques to be used with weapons if able.

Any thoughts?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't much different than a model proposed several times over the years. This is probably one of the most common house-ruled modifications to the martial arts system. Granted, the various incarnations have some nuanced differences, but follow a similar pattern.

I was actually working on a D6 Magazine article to develop a little more elaborate Martial Arts rules allowing for variations of styles. However, when I was doing the research on this, it didn't have much traction in terms of community interest, so I put it on the back burner to work on other projects.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember where i saw it, but the best write-up i liked (where it was an A variant) was

(A) Martial arts HTH
Pre-req, brawl and brawl parry 4d
This skill can be used in one of 2 manners. Base hth attacks uses the brawl skill but like with Medicine and first aid the Martial arts adds to your die pool, and IF higher than your strength, sets the base damage done (so if your martial arts is at 5d, and you have only 4d str, you do 5d damage).
Each D of the (A) skill you have, you know ONE technique from RoE. you only use the (A) skill when rolling those techniques, other than the 3 base (punch, kick and weapon block).
If using a technique, the base damage IS the (A) skill value, not your strength, plus the maneuver.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Can't remember where i saw it, but the best write-up i liked (where it was an A variant) was

(A) Martial arts HTH
Pre-req, brawl and brawl parry 4d
This skill can be used in one of 2 manners. Base hth attacks uses the brawl skill but like with Medicine and first aid the Martial arts adds to your die pool, and IF higher than your strength, sets the base damage done (so if your martial arts is at 5d, and you have only 4d str, you do 5d damage).
Each D of the (A) skill you have, you know ONE technique from RoE. you only use the (A) skill when rolling those techniques, other than the 3 base (punch, kick and weapon block).
If using a technique, the base damage IS the (A) skill value, not your strength, plus the maneuver.

I might like that one better.

So punch, kick, weapon block use brawling/brawling parry, and all other techniques use the advanced skill?

I like the change the base damage, one problem i see with that, is that you need a cap or if a campaign went long anuff the damage could get crazy.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difficulty I have with making advanced combat skills is finding a way for them to work independently of the base skill.

In my opinion, once a character has the advanced skill, it represents their ability to apply the skill in a live situation.

Another thing to consider might be that an advanced skill might have a more specific focus than the base skill. Not so much like a specialization which doesn't improve the effect of the skill, but that each different martial art could have a different focus, making it more effective in specific scenarios.

For example, taking (A) Boxing would allow the character to deal much more damage with their punches, as well as punch faster. However, if the character were grappled or used a kick, he would rely only on his brawling skill.

A character taking (A) Tae Kwon Do might be really good at kicks, but not so great at grappling.

And a mixed martial artist might either have one advanced skill that provides small advantages in all areas, or he might have skill dice in several martial arts at low levels instead of one martial art at high a high level (since the prerequisite for the various marital arts is the same, anyway).

On the other hand, the various martial arts (boxing, tae kwon do, wrestling, etc) might be specializations of the advanced skill which provide their benefits in a specific niche, whereas a mixed martial artist simply chooses not to specialize.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
The biggest difficulty I have with making advanced combat skills is finding a way for them to work independently of the base skill.

On the other hand, the various martial arts (boxing, tae kwon do, wrestling, etc) might be specializations of the advanced skill which provide their benefits in a specific niche, whereas a mixed martial artist simply chooses not to specialize.

The way i was viewing it was mixed martial artist would use the base advanced skill and add he advanced in the skill could choose any technique, while someone whom studied a style would use a specialization of the advanced skill and be limited on what techniques they could learn.

The first 3D was to be a foundational training regardless of style. The unlearning of natural reactions and such.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:

So punch, kick, weapon block use brawling/brawling parry, and all other techniques use the advanced skill?

That is how it read to me.

Savar wrote:

I like the change the base damage, one problem i see with that, is that you need a cap or if a campaign went long anuff the damage could get crazy.

Agreed. Perhaps at most you could double your starting Str rating.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, after reading some about using stamina for soak.

Use (A) Martial Arts {up to ?racial strength? as a max(or same as damage base)} for Melee and HtH combat only as a soak.

Maybe that could be a technique.

Basically the char learns to roll with blows, also moving parts of his body that can take more stress to take the blows.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a little awkward to me... like it needs to be part of some specific style or a technique from some ancient race or something.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Hmm, after reading some about using stamina for soak.

Use (A) Martial Arts {up to ?racial strength? as a max(or same as damage base)} for Melee and HtH combat only as a soak.

Maybe that could be a technique.

Basically the char learns to roll with blows, also moving parts of his body that can take more stress to take the blows.

There is another style of martial arts in the Shadows of the Empire sourcebook, IIRC. It allows you to split your Martial Arts dice between hit and damage. That is to say, if you've raised your Martial Arts to 7D, then you can decide to roll 4D to strike the target, doing 3D damage. Alternatively, if you feel like you can get lucky, strike for 2D, and then do 5D damage.

This can get pretty dangerous if you raise your skill to 8D or 9D.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is Terais Kai. And doing that use of it, has a downside. In the round you Use that benefit, you get NO reactions, period. SO if you get shot, the one shooting you just has to beat range difficulty. Same with melee/brawl etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: