The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Languages House Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Languages House Rule Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Languages House Rule Reply with quote

In my campaign I'm trying out an alternate approach to the Languages skill. Given that I've never had a PC who was an intellectual who studied the theory of language or some such, I'm requiring my PC's to advance only language specializations. They can have as many as they want - but each must be advanced on its own. I've heard of a few people who know multiple languages in RL, but that took enormous study of each one. I assume that most species in Star Wars do not share a base language (like Western nationalities have with Latin), so learning one does not necessarily help when learning another. I felt that dumping skill points into the main skill and suddenly gaining some measure of fluency in every language in the civilized galaxy seemed... unreasonable.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does this seem fair, or am I overlooking something? Should I make the generic Languages skill and Advanced skill like Medicine?

An obvious problem is the published stats for protocol droids who really CAN speak almost any language...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's reasonable... or you could run each language as a skill (kind of like Scholar and schools of thought), and for the linguistically gifted, allow the use of an overarching Languages skill as an advanced skill, allowing for a better broad-based understanding of languages, and used to, for example, decipher a new language they'd not been exposed to.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I want PC's and NPC's to be able to communicate, so there's no real advantage to trying to figure out what languages everyone speaks. When a PC and an NPC start conversing I have them roll their languages D and if it's a good roll they can speak to eachother. If they fail the roll they need an interpreter. If it's close, then the accent is think and some words are unintelligible. Like the book sez, it's a big Galaxy with lots of languages so everybody probably knows three or four- including Basic (or english, if you prefer)

Quote:
I've heard of a few people who know multiple languages in RL, but that took enormous study of each one.

Yes, it is hard to learn a new language and it does take a lot of study, but a lot of languages are very similar. Italian and Spanish, for example. A person that can read Japanese Kanji and also read Chinese, but the spoken languages are different. Tagalog (spoken by Filipinos) has many dialects, thus one Filipino may not be able to communicate with another Filipino. So it wouldn't be unusual (in my universe) to have two Wookies who speak different dialects not be able to communicate. It all depends on what you need for your game to progress.

I would be all for an advanced language skill for ancient languages (that are no longer spoken) and exotic languages that are difficult to learn.
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally this is how i figure languages in my games

The language skill represents a basic (potentially) of the spoken word. It gives enough to understand the gist of what is being said. It would be like going to another country to learn their language, you learn how to communicate very quickly, but not very well. You learn to understand enough to get by.

The Spec is spending time studding the language, so you can actually start to understand more complex thoughts. as a rule for PCs to communicate with each other - if the spec D is 1D higher then the language skill, i dont bother rolling any more as the chr is good enough i to let it slide for the sake of RP.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Vong's approach. Speaking twenty or thirty human languages is rare enough (though my high school German teacher spoke 23!) here on real live earth; speaking a couple dozen alien languages is quite unrealistic--but Star Wars ain't exactly a realistic setting, either. The loose rules simulate the SW environment, where the audience hears the occasional buzz-and-squawk of inhuman speech but the heroes can always speak to anyone with something significant to say.

Although the occasional language barrier has its place ("He doesn't like you. I don't like you either.") they're a terrible nuisance as a regular game feature. So I use the 1stEd "unrealistic way that's simple" rules: every time someone has a conversation in an alien tongue, roll to see how much information gets through. And, like Vong, I presume that anyone who actually invests in one of the hillion jillion languages available as a specialization is able to speak it fluently.

Do you really want your PCs dumping half their xps into languages, and still being able to converse with only 10%...or 1%...or fewer!...of the aliens that lend so much exotic tone to the setting?
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thoughts guys - thanks for those! I may moderate my approach. At the very least it's easy to adopt the specialization=fluency approach. I'll ponder the rest and adjust accordingly.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a system where the base languages skill is just that, your natural aptitude to learn languages. Every D above the attribute makes one additonal language you know well. NO specialties.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I prefer a system where the base languages skill is just that, your natural aptitude to learn languages. Every D above the attribute makes one additonal language you know well. NO specialties.

Nice and clean.

Those of you interested in a "linguistics" type skill to advance might consider scholar/linguistics, clearly distinguishing it from others. Or depending on the setting you could use cultures or aliens as default-type skills... one would think Captain Cook picked up a little Tahitian in addition to his understanding of their culture after four voyages.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Star Wars films, being able to understand multiple languages is very common. Even Chancellor Palpatine knows Huttese according to the subtitles in AotC.

The game reflects this first by having a raw linguistical ability that is used to possibly understand any language. If someone specializes in a specific language and has at least 5D, then he is considered fluent in that language (and there's not much point in advancing it further). Also, if someone makes 10 successful difficult language checks in a specific language he is not fluent in, he suddenly becomes fluent in that language also.

My interpretation is that in the Star Wars galaxy, the linguistic part of most sentient species' brains is more highly advanced than ours. Even the humans of the Star Wars galaxy are slightly different that the humans on Earth.

But I also tend to agree that having language barriars can also bring down the story. Who wants to drag a protocol droid around? And I enjoy characters like Indiana Jones that know a dozen languages. They have a high Language skill.

I am generous with languages. In character creation, my PCs all get a fluency in Basic for free, regardless of species. Then, each PC also gets one additional language fluency for every D of the Languages skill (or Knowledge). So a PC with only 2D in languages still starts with Basic and 2 other language fluencies, all indicated on his character sheet. Each time he becomes fluent in a new language, that one is listed also.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thats a very D&Desque way of doing things Smile

interesting way to gain new languages, 10 difficult checks in a row Razz

I definitely dont think languages should inhibit pc communication, but am all for it with NPCs Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it the same way as Whill. Also, if your players are playing Force users, the translation power can easily make them able to communicate with any sentient species, even droids.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:

That is by the book. make ten successful rolls of 21 or more on a languages roll, and be considered fluent.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
vong wrote:

That is by the book. make ten successful rolls of 21 or more on a languages roll, and be considered fluent.

21 would be botom end of very difficult. Difficult would be 16-20, as determined by the GM for each skill check. So technically a roll of 20 or higher for difficult or higher attempts would definitely qualify a character for gaining fluency, but some of those checks may have a difficulty as low as 16. (reference R&E p. 43 and 76).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Languages House Rule Reply with quote

Yak Face wrote:
I assume that most species in Star Wars do not share a base language (like Western nationalities have with Latin), so learning one does not necessarily help when learning another.

Galactic civillization has existed for 25,000 years across an increasingly large portion of a galaxy, whcih may be a rationale behind sentients having such a high linguistical aptitude. The languages influence each other over that long of time, so some Huttese is a part of Basic and vice versa. They don't have to have a common base to have elements in common.

I think a general language ability being a normal skill and giving someone a chance to understand a language they are not fluent in is cinematic and very much in the spirit of Star Wars. In Jabba's palace, 3PO was really translating the Huttese (and Ubese) for the audience more than for the aliens in the story. And when aliens spoke to humans in their own languages, the humans usually understood, and vice versa.

But I don't think it is a bad idea if you prefer to have each language be specialty only (i.e. Language: Basic), and once they get 5D in it they are fluent (if they can start with certain language fluencies they don't have to buy with skill dice allocation, based on species and background as determined by the GM). Then you could still allow for a general languages skill to be an advanced skill. Maybe it could be called "(A) Linguistics" and have Scholar of a certain die-level as a prerequisite skill.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Cool, thats a very D&Desque way of doing things Smile

I think in D&D you just start with languages based on your character's race. In my system, the species native languages not free, and must be "bought" as one of the language fluencies starting out. The only thing free is Basic, I guess like "Common" is the universal language in D&D that everyone knows. This way aliens do not automatically know more languages than humans do.

In the campaign I am currently working on, the remote outer rim sector that the campaign is based in has its "common tongue" as Bocce, not Basic. There are a minority of humans there and they all know Basic, but there are many more aliens there that do not know Basic. Most everyone in the sector knows Bocce to communicate with everyone else. Just for the fun of it. It would be very wise for the PCs to choose that as one of their languages.

"Tell Uncle, if he gets a translator makes sure it speaks Bocce."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: