The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ideas from Fantasy Flight Games
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ideas from Fantasy Flight Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Ideas from Fantasy Flight Games Reply with quote

I am a big star wars fan but was unfortunately not introduced to the RPG until the Revised Core Rulebook. I have played Saga Edition and Fantasy Flight Games stuff but like a lot of the ideas of d6 also. Mainly I don't like the careers and talents presented in FFG. So I am taking ideas from both and a few from Minisix. What do you guys think?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n80JAoVfIIz8fSsMqVdebJkxFpWNAsNAJql-8Y5XOks/edit?usp=sharing

Basically I have replaced the attributes and skills with what fantasy flight games uses. I mixed Minisix and FFG ideas for health and damage. For Force I made it an attribute and removed skills in place of powers that can be purchased. Typically the powers are more abstract and nerfed a little compared to d6. I also narrowed them down to 20.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty extensively played SAGA, and I think it's good at what it does if you really like tactical games. FFG has some fun things going for it, but I don't think I'll commit to a campaign.

I took a quick skim over it, and it looks interesting. I know what you mean about liking the general idea of what FFG is doing. I'm kind of the opinion that they have some good core ideas, especially with the narrative dice, and then they overloaded it with mechanics of career choices and talents.

Have you had much of an opportunity to playtest this?
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not yet I am just working on the document for now. My brothers and I will likely test some of it next weekend. The document is still rough draft btw.

If we end up not liking this I may go back to SAGA, I like that it covers pretty much everything and that multiclassing is easy.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been debating about converting to SAGA, but for whatever reason, I prefer a house-ruled version of the RCR when it comes to d20... I dont know the first thing about FFG's version, but the artwork is top notch.

Personally, I like the idea of classes because it helps to distinguish one character from another by way of class features. Making everything a skill (like D6 does) creates too much overlap without adequately differentiating between concepts.

Anyway, I guess thats not really a helpful contribution.... just felt like tosing in my $0.02.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Ive been debating about converting to SAGA, but for whatever reason, I prefer a house-ruled version of the RCR when it comes to d20... I dont know the first thing about FFG's version, but the artwork is top notch.

Personally, I like the idea of classes because it helps to distinguish one character from another by way of class features. Making everything a skill (like D6 does) creates too much overlap without adequately differentiating between concepts.

Naaman, are you playing any SW roleplaying right now? Are you playing D6?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Alastor04
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind classes I just don't like how they do their talent trees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: