The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

martial arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> martial arts Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: martial arts Reply with quote

Looking at the spec forces book. I liked the techniques for the martial arts and the idea of getting one per die incress. As an idea for a house rule make martial arts an advanced skill. After 3D and learning the three basic moves the char can then specialize in a form, or just keep advancing mixed. To lean a technique one must have a teacher. If You specialize you would only be able to learn ones associated with that form that you advanced. You also would only be able use techniques with the skill of the form you learned it in.

Just wondering if anyone had tried something like this?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually working on almost exactly this same idea for a D6 Magazine idea. Martial arts was an advanced skill. You could cross train and pick up any technique you wanted from any style, but it was CP expensive, since advanced skills have twice the CP cost.

I had the option to pick a style as a specialization, and you would have a limited number of techniques to pick from. CP advancement for Advanced specializations is the normal skill progression cost.

I abandoned the project after developing the spreadsheet of styles and techniques because the idea didn't seem to catch much traction, and people generally weren't interested at the time. I didn't see the point of writing an article if people weren't going to get use out of it.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Martial Arts as an Advanced skill which requires a style to be chosen as a specialization, so it has a standard skill character point progression cost.

Each Martial Art maxes out a 8D for grand master level training, although I suppose I might allow for a bit more. And, someone trained in a style can attempt to perform any move on their style's move list by rolling (A)Dice only. To hit is determined by Brawling + (A)Dice.

I didn't like how cheap Martial Arts as a specialization is, and this way seems to work okay so far in my games.

I use a similar system with (A)Lightsaber forms, and have had less opportunity to playtest it, but overall, I like how the system works.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds like i wasn't alone then.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using martial arts as a (A) skill. Do you go by the medicine-first aid rule, where the (A) adds to the base skill (Brawl in this case)?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
When using martial arts as a (A) skill. Do you go by the medicine-first aid rule, where the (A) adds to the base skill (Brawl in this case)?

I was still thinking about that one.
1) no
2) yes, but to use techniques you can only roll the martial arts dice, so you can not use the techniques when rolling brawling.

I was going to roll brawling parry into to the martial arts advanced skill.

I was unsure if i would use brawling & brawling parry as a prerequisite to martial arts or not.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I'd love to hear how that playtests. I can see that going crazy by adding to both Brawling and Brawling parry, making someone unstoppable.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

The way I play it, yes, so long as one is not using maneuvers. Manveuvers, or martial arts-based passive bonuses, fall back on the martial arts dice code.

For example, in my current game I have a player whose PC is learning a variant of Kelterek'dul (using the rules here: http://starwarsrpg.pettycomp.net/MartialArts.htm#slkmaur) that allows him a free martial arts riposte when successfully defending with a lightsaber (the benefit of having a redeemed Sith as an instructor). If he's using a brawling attack he gets his full 7D(?) dice code, but if he's riposting he only gets his 2D.

EDIT: I should also qualify that my stating I don't use parry skills. Attack and defense use the same skill and dice code (with the exception of a parry specialization). Nor do I use RoE's overage rules -- if I did, I probably would not allow stacking the basic and advanced skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I'd love to hear how that playtests. I can see that going crazy by adding to both Brawling and Brawling parry, making someone unstoppable.

Which is why i would not see this working well with just a brawl only and not brawl and brawl parry.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Which is why i would not see this working well with just a brawl only and not brawl and brawl parry.

If You follow the example of droid engineering to get the bonus you have to have 5D+ in the skill.

After thinking some more and reading i think it would be best to have martial arts as an advanced skill not linked to other skills. The prerequisite be GM approval.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dagarthorn.proboards.com/thread/171/chapter-combat-injuries

last post covers martial arts.
MadHun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted my character that was at the end of our campaign in '94.

https://www.4shared.com/office/gWgjaamVba/Karbahrak_the_ghostdocx.html

it is in Microsoft Word 97-2003 format hope this will help.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don on Shooting Womp Rats suggested a pretty interesting option for brawling damage. The standard brawling skill only deals stun damage (the same stun rules as a blaster), but with Martial Arts a character can deal full damage. This is a very clean rule in my opinion and makes Martial Arts as an Advanced skill worth while and simple. It makes sense that standard brawling would result in knocking out an opponent while deeper training in martial arts would cause lethal damage.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
Don on Shooting Womp Rats suggested a pretty interesting option for brawling damage. The standard brawling skill only deals stun damage (the same stun rules as a blaster), but with Martial Arts a character can deal full damage. This is a very clean rule in my opinion and makes Martial Arts as an Advanced skill worth while and simple. It makes sense that standard brawling would result in knocking out an opponent while deeper training in martial arts would cause lethal damage.

That is a great idea.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

I used to do something like that as a house rule back in 1e but stopped with 2e for some reason. I called it "brawling damage" but I don't remember exactly how I broke it down now. But I like the regular stun damage for regular brawling, or maybe something slightly scaled upwards resulting in a wound result at most. That's good enough for cinematic reality.

Wookiees don't really pull people's arms out of their sockets, do they? That's just exaggerated reputation, right? Maybe only Wookiees with a Martial Art do that.. Delimb Fu?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: