The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

SPOILERS: House ruling that Force power...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> SPOILERS: House ruling that Force power...?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: SPOILERS: House ruling that Force power...? Reply with quote

New Force power or do we just usr a catch all clause on telekinesis (see what I did there)?

If anything, Id say its a sense/alter power. The same Jedi reflexes used in LSC would apply here, but the power seems to me to be a reaction, not a power to be kept "up." So I might make it have danger sense as a prerequisite and omit the sense roll associated with the power (the danger sense power serves as the sense component).

But what difficulty? We know that Kylo Ren is somewhat amateur as a Force user... or at least he is lower on the totem pole than a Jedi Knight would be.... so he's like an advanced padawan.

The power does need to be kept up, so that is a "balancer": can only keep up one or two at a time before concentration breaks, etc... maybe a moderate alter after a difficult sense roll?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with a variation on Absorb/Dissipate Energy, sort of like what Yoda did with Force Lightning in the prequels. Obviously, it would have to be Alter based, and I think you are right about the Sense component, as anything involving a Blaster bolt is too quick for normal reflexes.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it was a combo of TK, Ab/dis and LS combat..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo.... moderate plus damage or moderate plus attack roll?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Sooooo.... moderate plus damage or moderate plus attack roll?
Damage. Energy in motion isn't going to be harder to stop just because the shooter aimed better.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the reasoning.

But after thinking about it, I'm thinking the difficulty should probably just directly oppose the damage roll (Alter vs. damage, higher wins, all or nothing).

The reason being is that the power needs to be "kept up" (when Ren walked away, the blaster bolt resumed its travel to the first object in its path).

Since it has to be kept up, the Force user can only maintain one or two shots before the power becomes too difficult to use; and, if his concentration is ever broken (he takes damage, for example) all powers are dropped, per RAW.

With absorb/dissipate, the power completely and permanently negates the effect of the blaster bolt, without any further considerations, so it warrants a higher difficulty.

As for C/S/A, I think that a case can be made for requiring all three, but I rather prefer to have C/S/A powers as prerequisites rather than requiring each one to be rolled (sort of like how Injur/Kill requires some various C/S/A powers as prereqs... or is that T/K?) In any case, I'm in favor of a single skill power that has prerequisites from all three skills.

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: