The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rule Mechanic: Defining Interests
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rule Mechanic: Defining Interests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Rule Mechanic: Defining Interests Reply with quote

Something to encourage players to create a background.

Defining Interests: Characters have hobbies, areas of personal study and natural aptitudes. These things are typically explained in a players background. Whenever that subject, interest or aptitude comes up in game play give a +1 pip modifier to the appropriate attribute or skill roll. These are not skills. A character may have up to three defining interests.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examples?
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welllllll, I may be jumping the gun (as my replacement characters haven't been approved), but here you go.

The background for one of them is that he grew up on a colony in the mid rim farming and going on his fathers hunts/safaris (lots more to the background but for this that is the key information).

For his interests I gave them as : Rustic living -stories etc etc , wildlife, stories (ancient/epic/heroic).

I'm picturing him being quiet and reserved, but then when there is a SW version of a rodeo, a chuck wagon cook off, or a story about family so & so living and home steading out on my X he will perk up. The same thing about a hunting story or even seeing an Ansal Adams type art. To broaden him a little I added the epic story interest so that he may drag the party to a play about El Cid one time, but then turn his nose up at going to see another more popular movie.

How that is used in game ????

Forgive all spelling errors.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotcha
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just +1 pip, it really seems like something not worth an actual rule. On the other hand, my child prodegy vong bounty hunter character has a hobby of practicing aincient and modern styles of lightsaber combat. He is also an ametuer anatomist with intricate knowledge of the vital systems of most of the more populous spiecies in the galaxy, giving him unusual knowledge about what it takes to instantly kill or slowly/painfully guarantee a miseable death.

So when wielding the lightsaber which he found in a junk pile on Courescant, he is able to use the purple-beamed weapon to kill efficiently and quickly or else end a fight by motally wounding his opponent in such a way that he cannot be saved except by immediat advanced medical attention. He gets a bonus on all attack rolls and damage rolls fo reflect his special interests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: