The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor damage. Who uses it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Armor damage. Who uses it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use the rules where when a character gets wounded or worse his armor is damaged?
Yes
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Would like to, but think its too clunky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
When i can remember to
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Armor damage. Who uses it? Reply with quote

Brought out of the thread on mandalorian armor.. Who here actually USES the rule in the books where armor gets lightly/heavily/severely damaged when the character (PC or NPC) wearing it takes a wound/incap/mortally wounded??
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also run it where a character who takes a blast from a heavy damage weapon and totally soaks it still ends up with some minor damage that needed to be repaired. It comes down to what's appropriate for the story. If a character takes a point blank burst from a repeating blaster, there's a good chance that there's going to be some degree of damage. Quick rule of thumb is if the attack does 2D or more damage than the soak roll, then the armor takes damage even if the character wearing it does not.
denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group use it. For us it is an important thing to create "reality"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to use this rule is it helps prevent (or lessen) the chance of doing the stormtrooper two step where PCs kill a squad of troopers, then puts on their armor to infiltrate an enemy camp.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it based on the notion that, if a character has been damaged, then the armor interposed between the character and the source of that damage should necessarily also be damaged. But I have never liked the idea that - because damage to armor is dependent on the character being injured and a character being injured is dependent (at least in part) on the character's own Strength attribute - the durability of armor changes with the person who wears it. It would make more sense to treat armor as a barrier - apply damage to the armor and then determine the damage, if any, that carries through to the wearer.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought that too, especially since hitting the armor isn't guaranteed, even if it covers that area.

It would be a little more work to do it that way, but it might work out better in the long run.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
I use it based on the notion that, if a character has been damaged, then the armor interposed between the character and the source of that damage should necessarily also be damaged. But I have never liked the idea that - because damage to armor is dependent on the character being injured and a character being injured is dependent (at least in part) on the character's own Strength attribute - the durability of armor changes with the person who wears it. It would make more sense to treat armor as a barrier - apply damage to the armor and then determine the damage, if any, that carries through to the wearer.

Sort of if you hit someone, you have to destroy the armor before it can affect the person under it?
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sort of if you hit someone, you have to destroy the armor before it can affect the person under it?

Not necessarily destroy, but at least damage . . . just like if someone is taking cover behind an upturned table. The charts are on p. 94 of 2d Ed. R&E. If the table is lightly damaged, for instance, it reduces the damage suffered by the person hiding behind it by 4D. The damage the table suffers from being shot at is in no way dependent on the Strength of the dude hiding behind it. I think armor should work the same way.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case, wearing power armor (ave 2d energy protection) gives someone facing down a heavy pistol a good chance of taking only 2-3d of damage.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made me wonder if this rule would apply to a droid that has armor built into it (one of my PCs does).

If it does, then should the rule apply to natural resistance for certain organics like Barabel, for instance?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Barabel is already Wookiee-like in his ability to completely laugh-off/ignore just about all incoming damage, so I'd hate to see anything that would improve that! Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. If you apply it to armor, you would naturally also have to extend it to natural body armor, such as is on barbels etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: