The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Besk'ar Armor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Besk'ar Armor Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Besk'ar Armor Reply with quote

Does anyone have stats for this type of armor or abilities for the besk'ar as well?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, do you mean a reference to an official WEG armor of this type, or do you mean a fan-made recreation of how it specially functions in a comic, novel, or video game, or other media? If it is the latter, it may help if there was some frame of reference in terms of how the ships or armor stood out in the media representation. A lot of these ships have a specially named kind of armor as part of the flavor text, but they don't have any indicated functional difference. That is to say, when statting out durasteal armor and plasteal armor there isn't any functional difference, and it's all just internal flourish of flavor text.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S., after a bit of looking around, I found that there is a general type of Beskar’gam armor, and then there is the armor made out of beskar, (aka Mandalorian iron). Would you mind indicating which of the two you are interested in?
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be no WEG stats for it, as it first appeared about 6 or 7 years ago in novels,long after WEG stopped publishing
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
There will be no WEG stats for it, as it first appeared about 6 or 7 years ago in novels,long after WEG stopped publishing

Well, Boba Fett is supposedly wearing scavenged Mandolrian armor, and there are WEG stats for his armor.
denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
P.S., after a bit of looking around, I found that there is a general type of Beskar’gam armor, and then there is the armor made out of beskar, (aka Mandalorian iron). Would you mind indicating which of the two you are interested in?

both
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd in my research I could only find reference to beskar (Mandalorian iron) and a type of armor specifically made from beskar called beskar'kandar.

Some things about beskar I found was:

1. "This is Mandalorian armor, made from beskar (Mandalorian iron). It is rare, cumbersome, and heavy." Daniel Wallace
2. "... almost impervious to the blows of a lightsaber."

I think the best way to make a game mechanic that would cover this giving the material a bonus to lightsaber damage similar to the physical/energy protection of armor. So armor might look like, +2D vs. physical, +2D vs. energy, +4D vs. lightsaber, -1D Dex and all associated skills.

This of course is just a suggestion at this time. I am open to additional ideas. As an aside Boba Fett's armor prior to 40 ABY is pretty sick. Protection alone without beskar is +4D vs physical, +3D vs energy and no Dex penalty. I assume that after he adds the beskar he would be looking at least a -1D or -2D Dex penalty. His current armor has no Dex penalty, I assume, because he has it customized for himself (having spent both credits and Character Points on it).

Suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_iron

Implies that Fett's armor was Durasteel until ~40 ABY at which time it was replaced with beskar.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slightly better than average NPC with 3D strength could see a substantial bonus against a lightsaber blade. 2D energy resistance, +4D lightsaber resistance, +3D strength gives us a whopping 9D to resist against a lightsaber.

Let's assume that it's a 5D damage lightsaber, but a reasonable 5D in Sense. The Jedi will have to drop -2D for keeping LSC up, yielding a good 8D of damage.

This armor would stand up to a reasonable level Jedi. Now, if he goes up against Yoda or Vader, he'll be toast. But it keeps a reasonable threat to Jedi. The specialized lightsaber resistance prevents him from being completely bulletproof.

I'm callin' it good.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
Implies that Fett's armor was Durasteel until ~40 ABY at which time it was replaced with beskar.

Didn't I already say this? Neener neener!

shootingwomprats wrote:
As an aside Boba Fett's armor prior to 40 ABY is pretty sick. [snip] I assume that after he adds the beskar ...

@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in a sudden plot twist, I can come in with using my moderator powers for the purposes of evil, modify your previous post and make it look like you didn't say it.

Yeah, but for real, I'm not gonna do that.

Dan mentioned on the G+ community that a Mandolorian set of armor should probably have a penalty for someone other than the original wearer, since it was supposed to be custom made. I'm wondering what a Mando (who notoriously liked gadgets) might do to boobytrap armor as a bit of posthumous revenge against someone who had killed him and tried to stel the armor.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Dan mentioned on the G+ community that a Mandolorian set of armor should probably have a penalty for someone other than the original wearer, since it was supposed to be custom made. I'm wondering what a Mando (who notoriously liked gadgets) might do to boobytrap armor as a bit of posthumous revenge against someone who had killed him and tried to stel the armor.

Yeah I had thought of that as well. I was hoping that the wording would have been sufficient enough, but as you, Daniel mentioned. So I have added some additional notes to make sure this is not an issue.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
And in a sudden plot twist, I can come in with using my moderator powers for the purposes of evil, modify your previous post and make it look like you didn't say it.

Yeah, but for real, I'm not gonna do that.

A common troup i have seen in modules is booby trapping the armor internally, so if removed by anyone BUT the owner, it goes boom.
Or a sneaky one, is that the armor is laced on the inside with contact poison, that the wearer as built up a resistance to. So anyone else putting it on, must make a stamina check to resist the poison.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of armor has atmosphere filtering. I'm thinking a quick retinal scan could verify the identity and just seal up an "intruder."
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow too many D&D suggestions. How about ... the GM says ... it don't fit?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: