The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage and Wound Progression
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Damage and Wound Progression
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Damage and Wound Progression Reply with quote

I cannot remember if I had posted this before or if it was something I tossed up on G+. Anyway, here is a new wound table. You will notice that even with 0 damage the character will have a -1D modifier for two rounds. Though it says stunned I think that perhaps Shaken would be a better descriptor. It also introduces the possibility of getting Wounded 2 in a single shot as opposed to requiring two consecutive wounds. In contrast, it does lower the results for Incapacitated, Mortally wounded and Killed. I would be very interested in peoples thought about this.

DAMAGE
When an attack hits, the attacker rolls damage.

Ranged weapons normally do a set amount of damage: for example, a blaster rifle does 5D damage.

A melee weapon might have a damage code of STR+1D — that means, the attacker rolls his Strength and adds one extra die for damage. (If there’s a maximum listed — such as “maximum 6D” — that’s the maximum damage for the weapon regardless of the user’s Strength.)

For brawling attacks, the attacker rolls his Strength. Some creatures have natural weapons, such as claws, which may cause “STR+1D” or “STR+1D+2” — roll the Strength and add the die code as indicated.

The target character rolls Strength to resist damage. If the character’s Strength roll is higher than the damage roll, there’s no effect. If the damage roll is higher, find the difference on the “Character Damage Chart.”

CHARACTER DAMAGE CHART
0-3 Shaken
4-8 Light Wounded
9-12 Moderate Wounded
13-15 Heavily Wounded
16-17 Mortally Wounded
18+ Killed

Example: Thannik fires his blaster pistol (which does 4D damage) and hits a bounty hunter with a Strength of 3D+2. Thannik’s damage roll is a 9, while the bounty hunter rolls an 11 — the bounty hunter is Shaken and has a -1D modifier to all his actions for the rest of this round and the next, but with no injury.

In the next round, Thannik hits again. This time his blaster damage roll is a 16. The bounty hunter’s Strength roll to resist damage is a 12; that’s a difference of four points. The bounty hunter is Lightly Wounded, performing all skill checks with a -1D modifier until healed.

Later on, Thannik is attacking a thug with a vibroax (STR+2D). If Thannik hits, he rolls his Strength of 3D+2 plus an extra 2D for a total of 5D+2 damage!

Shaken characters suffer a penalty of −1D to skill checks for the rest of the round and for the next round. Shaken no longer penalizes a character after the second round.

Lightly Wounded characters suffer a penalty of −1D to skill rolls until he heals (through medpacs or natural rest). A character who is Lightly Wounded a second time is Moderately Wounded.

Moderately Wounded character suffers a penalty of −2D to all skill rolls until he is healed. A Moderately Wounded character who is Lightly or Moderately Wounded again is Heavily Wounded.

Heavily Wounded characters fall prone and must immediately make a Moderate stamina or willpower check to remain conscious. If the roll fails the character is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes. If the character remains conscious they suffer a penalty of -3D to skill rolls and move at 1/2 their normal rate. A Heavily Wounded character who is Heavily Wounded again becomes Mortally Wounded.

A character making a Moderate first aid total can revive a Heavily Wounded character. The Heavily Wounded character is now awake, but is groggy, performs skill checks at -3D, and can only move at half his rate.

Mortally Wounded character fall prone and immediately make a Difficult stamina or willpower check to remain conscious. If the roll fails the character is knocked unconscious for 10D minutes. If the character remains conscious they suffer a penalty of -4D to skill rolls and move at 1/4 their normal rate. Furthermore, the character may die — at the end of each round, roll 2D. If the roll is less than the number of rounds that the character has been mortally wounded, the character dies. A Mortally Wounded character who is Heavily Wounded or Mortally Wounded again is killed.

A character making a Moderate first aid total can “stabilize” a Mortally Wounded character. The character is still Mortally Wounded but will survive if a medpac or bacta tank is used on him within one hour (Moderate first aid total); otherwise, he dies. (This is different from healing a character with a medpac; see “Healing.”)

killed character is... killed. Start making a new character.

Example: A stormtrooper is hit in combat. His Strength roll is an 11 and the damage roll is a 15 — he’s Lightly Wounded. The trooper suffers a wound and is at −1D to all actions until he’s healed. If he’s Lightly Wounded again, he progresses to Moderately Wounded and at −2D to all actions until he heals. If this trooper is Lightly or Moderately Wounded again, he progresses to Heavily Wounded. Another stormtrooper — he’s still uninjured — is hit in combat: his Strength roll is a 9, while the damage roll is a 19. This trooper is Heavily Wounded and rolls to remain unconscious.

Increasing Resistance. Character Points or Force Points can be used to increase a character’s Strength to resist damage.

Stun Damage. Weapons set for stun roll damage normally, but treat any result more serious than “stunned” as “unconscious for 2D minutes.” (Unless specifically stated otherwise, all character-scale blasters can be set for stun damage.)

Example: Thannik is hit by a “stun” bolt from a stormtrooper’s blaster rifle. The stormtrooper rolls a 22 for damage and Thannik’s Strength roll is an 11. That would normally be a Heavily Wounded result, but since the weapon is set for stun, Thannik is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this, but this mod would require new wound accumulation rules and new healing rules. And how does blaster stun damage work?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, but this mod would require new wound accumulation rules and new healing rules. And how does blaster stun damage work?

Not at all, port all that over. As for Stun its now a setting with a resistance roll.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Whill wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, but this mod would require new wound accumulation rules and new healing rules.

Not at all, port all that over.

RAW has 'a wounded character who is wounded again is wounded twice'. 'A wounded twice character who is wounded again is incapacitated'. And so on. You do not have the same wound status names. There is no wounded, wounded twice, or incapacitated on your chart. You have more wound levels. You can't port it straight over. You said you were very interested in what people thought, and I am trying to be helpful by pointing out that your rule is incomplete for others to just pick up and use. You are of course free to leave it incomplete if you wish but it may not be that useful to others.

Here is an example of an alternate wound system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't stamina or willpower get reduced from being wounded?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
RAW has 'a wounded character who is wounded again is wounded twice'. 'A wounded twice character who is wounded again is incapacitated'. And so on. You do not have the same wound status names. There is no wounded, wounded twice, or incapacitated on your chart. You have more wound levels. You can't port it straight over.

The levels are pretty much the same with the addition of an added Moderately Wounded increment.

Shaken: the same as Stun except does not accumulate vs Strength to knock the character unconscious.

Lightly Wounded: the same as Wounded 1.

Moderately Wounded: the same as Wounded 2.

Heavily Wounded: the same as Incapacitated but with reduced move and mechanic to remain conscious and act.

Mortally Wounded: the same as Mortally Wounded but with reduced move and mechanic to remain conscious and act.

Killed: same.

If a character is wounded and wounded again, they progress to the next wound level. For this purpose Shaken does not count as a wound level. Example: Lightly Wounded character receives an additional Lightly Wounded would progress to Moderately Wounded. A character who is Heavily Wounded is Lightly Wounded would progress to Mortally Wounded. Wound levels do not stack.

As this is mostly a name change and an added wound increment and not real change other than the Stun mechanic I did not post all the rules for wound progression and therefore was not clear. Sorry to everyone.

Whill wrote:
You said you were very interested in what people thought, and I am trying to be helpful by pointing out that your rule is incomplete for others to just pick up and use. You are of course free to leave it incomplete if you wish but it may not be that useful to others.

I am interested in what people have to say and if I gave the impression I wasn't I apologize. I have updated the original post.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why wouldn't stamina or willpower get reduced from being wounded?

To me these are skills used to overcome and perform incredible feats of mental and physical endurance. If we operate from this viewpoint it makes perfect sense they should not be penalized for wounds.

Honestly, I can see it both ways. I have removed it from the expanded rules write-up as its more of how a GM wants to run their game and doesn't require a special rule.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good idea to me! I use something similar, so I know it works in D6 games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: