The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Unlisted Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Unlisted Skills Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Unlisted Skills Reply with quote

What do you do when you come across Skills that aren't normally listed?

I'm constructing a servant droid for one of my PCs, and - taking things straight out of Cynabar's Fantastic Technology Droids - it says it has"

Culinary arts 4D

I was thinking of making it a specialization of Scholar, but in the rules Scholar is really head knowledge, not actual experience (so not really fitting here).

So are there occasional other Skills like this that are fairly uncommon, so that's why they're not listed on everybody's character sheet?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume so. I imagine that there are a number of skills such a data entry, vaperator operation, home maintenance, woodworking, locksmithing, gardening, and all manner of things that your players would be perfectly unhappy doing for four hours in a game session. Smile

Seriously, though, I think most beings in the galaxy know a bunch of things that never wind up getting on a sheet. They just don't play into the adventure very often, and so they only get honorable mention when it fits the fluff.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think arts of any kind except for possibly dancing, and of course martial, would fit nicely in Perception.

Complete Starship Construction System
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of what circumstances might involve a skill check, and if I can't think of one I ignore the skill. That's what I've done with the servant droid skill.

The only thing I've thought along these lines is in d6 Fantasy where I think a character aboard a ship or on the road would need a skill to safely prepare food without getting everyone sick. So I make cooking a PER skill, as suggested here.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed many rare skills (especially weapon-related like tensor rifle), but in case of culinary arts, it's a KNO skill in my games. But two notes here: not-droids usually take it in specialization (culinary arts: <own race>) and it's often used with base attribute changed to PER (I think official rules mention about such possibility, but I can't find it right now).
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a blurb called "Other Skills" that talks about this on page 66 of the 2ER&E. "There are plenty of other skills in the galaxy, but most of them don't directly affect the game, so they're not covered here."
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. You know, nuclearwookiee, that sounds familiar, but I'd forgotten that. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC cullinary arts falls under the Profession skill (similar to dancing, singing etc)..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IIRC cullinary arts falls under the Profession skill (similar to dancing, singing etc)..

There's no Profession skill listed in the rules, either, though, for any of those things.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where it came from but i do know it exists.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a cultures specialization: galactic cuisine
Alien species is used for things like preferred or harmful ingestions by species
A KNO skill home economics
A KNO skill culinary arts
A KNO skill drink mixology
A MEC skill food processors operation

found by browsing things like droid skill listings, but due to various author contributions you sometimes have to rename them for continuity, for example some droids have food preparation or cooking as a skill which comes under culinary arts (which should be mostly ingredients preparation and cooking to edible platters without overcooking or poisoning the foodstuffs, but also include some things like kitchen knife skills which whilst a DEX crossover, is still KNO based being about things like knowing how not to chop your fingers off by the way you hold food being cut, not about reactive DEX to dodge the knife in one hand with the other or avoid chopping fingers presented for chopping but actually how to hold them so they can't be chopped even if you look away and do it blind).

Similar story with things like engineering skills, or medical, scientific research, etc. Compile then group, rename some for continuity, come up with general breakdown skills contributing to the process you will force PCs to roleplay if that task is attempted, and how you make them roll.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget

a KNO skill: Alien Species/ Fashion trends
a TEC Skill: Sewing
a KNO skill" Clothing Design/ Alien species

plus a Verpine named Versace
Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least he is not a house interior designer named bob!
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention you would probably need some kind of KNO skill alien species anatomy

It doesn't do any good to design a skintight body glove type clothing for a species that breathes thru its belly button.................. or reasonable proximity thereof
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, or make a shirt for a race alergic to the material you are making the shirt out of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: