The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bringing PC's in that were created under other GM'S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Bringing PC's in that were created under other GM'S Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Bringing PC's in that were created under other GM'S Reply with quote

How do you guys decide when a player wants to bring an advanced PC that was created under a different GM and is going on into Munchkin capabilities when the rest of the gaming group would be way outclassed by the new PC?

And what is the worst munchkin someone tried to slip into your game?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of the things I look at:

1) THe player. Does he have something that he really wants to role-play or is he just power gaming? Sometimes you can give a good roleplayer a bit more slack in you know how he is going to play it.

2) Does the character fit in with the group? Just because a player wants to play a Jedi Master and built up one under a different GM does not give him the right to play one in my campaigns. If the new PC completely outstrips the rest of the group, I probably wouldn't allow it.

3) How smart is the player? A powerful character in the hands of a bad plyer isn't nearly as dangerous as one in the hands of a smart player. I've seen smart PCs who were outclassed on paper wreck more carnage that powerhouse characters that were run poorly by poor gamers.

4) Munckhinism. TO me that is pretty much an automatic no. A little bit of munckinism makes some sense, since there is a lot of fighting going on and players should pay some attention to the things that improve survivability. But all out pure munchikinism is not something I'd put up with in Star Wars. It's usually a fast track tot he Dark Side.

5) If I have any sdoubts on the new character, it's up to the player to try and convince me to change my mind and let it in.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would explain the issues that could arise with imbalance and ask how the player would keep the game balanced.

If the player's story is good enough, I'd allow it.

If it turns out that the player is not maintaining balance, I'd talk to the player and work out a way to make balance, either by nerfing the character with a disease or injury (or some other imaginative occurence), or by having the player make a new character, with the OP one leaving the group for other things.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful about it. I would probably say no, unless there was a really good reason and I trusted the player.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing PC's in that were created under other GM'S Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
How do you guys decide when a player wants to bring an advanced PC that was created under a different GM and is going on into Munchkin capabilities when the rest of the gaming group would be way outclassed by the new PC?

Disallow it period. Munchkin or not. Especially if of a race that i have not heard of.
Now if it is within their skill availability (say the others have the std 7d +100cp, and he has 7d+110cp) i would just look at what gear he has.

It also depends if it fits or not. IE i am running a rise of the empire campaign, and someone is wanting to bring in their NJO made vong killer, or TOTJ Jedi master in, i won't allow it.
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had anyone try to slip a muchnkin into a non muchnkin game. Played a few very high end Rifts games though. I would not allow a player to play a character built under another GM without heavy reveiw of the character and a full unerstanding of his story. As for he outstrips the others that would depend on how he plans to fit this character into the group. I have had a player play a mentor character like a Jedi master that far outpowered the other characters but he was their mentor and teacher so he held back his full ablilities unless they were needed. Of course to do that you would have to know the player and most everyone would have to agree to it in the game.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
Never had anyone try to slip a muchnkin into a non muchnkin game. Played a few very high end Rifts games though. I would not allow a player to play a character built under another GM without heavy reveiw of the character and a full unerstanding of his story. As for he outstrips the others that would depend on how he plans to fit this character into the group. I have had a player play a mentor character like a Jedi master that far outpowered the other characters but he was their mentor and teacher so he held back his full ablilities unless they were needed. Of course to do that you would have to know the player and most everyone would have to agree to it in the game.

I agree with this.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:

I agree with this assessment as well.

garhkal wrote:
Now if it is within their skill availability (say the others have the std 7d +100cp, and he has 7d+110cp) i would just look at what gear he has.

It also depends if it fits or not. IE i am running a rise of the empire campaign, and someone is wanting to bring in their NJO made vong killer, or TOTJ Jedi master in, i won't allow it.

Also agree with this, if the character is within a close skill level, then you make sure that he doesn't have any equipment that is too overpowered, you also need to look into timeline continuity. Letting someone bring a Jedi Master into any Imperial time is going to be a big no-no.

I have seen where someone has brought in a character which was created under another GM, played for a very long time, and ended up with custom skills and weaponry which were unique to the GM he came from. When brought to the new game, he was pretty close to on-par with the highest skill party member, but these custom skills ended up disrupting game balance. The high skill party member barbequed the player into submission with force lightning to put him in his place. Then they had the mutual understanding that the new guy's fancy tricks were no match for the power of the dark side. (Yes, this was one dark side campaign I've ever played in. I still feel weird about it.)

So I would say: "Not without some serious scrutiny, and an understanding that the player will keep himself in check or he will be disallowed."

Also, I would not allow the player to get many if any character points because challenges should be set for the bulk of your group. Throwing in an overpowered character means that combat will threaten your established characters more if you throw in bad guys to give your advanced member a run for his money. While your lower level guys will sit around twiddling their thumbs.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i have had some time to think on this more.. I forgot a few cavieats..
1) If i know the game/GM who the player HAD his character made up under (and gotten to that level), that changes things up a lot.. especially if i also played under that GM.
2) New skills/powers. Forgot to mention that if the pc has any of these, he MUST have some source for them, for me to review. If they are from sources I do not have, then no go.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here already. I would allow somebody to bring in a high-powered character (and have done so for non-SW games), but I'd want to carefully go over it beforhand. If the character was one that the person was dying to play, then they should be cool with nerfing their character a bit to make it so that PC doesn't outshine the rest of the group. I did that recently in a supers campaign. Joined my son's campaign and played a PC who I didn't really enjoy, then decided to bring back my old high-school PC (who I hadn't played in decades), but intentionally made him a much lower level. It's worked out great.

One time with the same game system (Villains & Vigilantes), in my long-running campaign, I had a player join us who'd lived in another state. I think he also lowered the level of his PC, but he convinced me (the head GM) to allow one powerful weapon (imagine Iron Man's chest laser). Instead of something like 2d100, I allowed it, but made it much less powerful. It was years ago, but I think he had a 'normal' setting of something like 1d20, and then in emergencies (which he promised would only be used rarely), it had a much more dangerous setting (something like 36d6). So what do you think happened in our first battle? You guessed it. The villain upset him, and he unleashed the full might of the high-powered setting! I learned my lesson there. Now I'd probably only allow something like that with a person I already knew and trusted. This player was not a munchkin, btw, but the power proved to be too tempting in this case.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it depends on the players involved. I've been on boths sides of this situation.

I once brought in a character who had tons of wealth from a previous campaign. If I had decides to go shopping for high powered items, I could have seriously disrupted the campaign. Instead, five minutes into the game, my character took offense with the Chez Lounge and insisted on spending thousands redecorating. The money never became a problem in the campaign.

One thing that I find helps is some players will tell you up front about anything that might be a problem. You can usually trust them to be up front about things. Others try to sneak stuff by you, and that is generally a sign that trouble in on the way.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Lots of good advice here already. I would allow somebody to bring in a high-powered character (and have done so for non-SW games), but I'd want to carefully go over it beforhand. If the character was one that the person was dying to play, then they should be cool with nerfing their character a bit to make it so that PC doesn't outshine the rest of the group. I did that recently in a supers campaign. Joined my son's campaign and played a PC who I didn't really enjoy, then decided to bring back my old high-school PC (who I hadn't played in decades), but intentionally made him a much lower level. It's worked out great.

One time with the same game system (Villains & Vigilantes), in my long-running campaign, I had a player join us who'd lived in another state. I think he also lowered the level of his PC, but he convinced me (the head GM) to allow one powerful weapon (imagine Iron Man's chest laser). Instead of something like 2d100, I allowed it, but made it much less powerful. It was years ago, but I think he had a 'normal' setting of something like 1d20, and then in emergencies (which he promised would only be used rarely), it had a much more dangerous setting (something like 36d6). So what do you think happened in our first battle? You guessed it. The villain upset him, and he unleashed the full might of the high-powered setting! I learned my lesson there. Now I'd probably only allow something like that with a person I already knew and trusted. This player was not a munchkin, btw, but the power proved to be too tempting in this case.

For that weapon, perhaps you could have had it drain all his power every time he uses it, so he has to recharge it between uses..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was at least wise enough to make the Power cost super expensive (so it was essentially a one-shot use).
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing PC's in that were created under other GM'S Reply with quote

I actually munchkined-up my youngest brother's character so he could keep pace with my other brother's more experienced character. (Brand new players like him get grenade launchers and armor.)
Darth_Hilarious wrote:
And what is the worst munchkin someone tried to slip into your game?
That was actually me trying to slip in a munchkin as a player. I got tired of playing heroes, and wanted to do something a little different... I drew up a Jason Bourne-type asset from a technologically advanced warrior race. This was the type of person who, like River Tam would "rain destruction on you and your crew". They would send capital fleets after him. He was the distraction. I'd never get him past my GM. I intended to offer to play him or play a rampant AI rolling around in a hijacked droid's body. The AI was who I really wanted to play. His character was based off of Emperor Cuzco from the Emperor's new groove. He was greedy, selfish, cowardly, and physically inept, but he could live in almost any computer system, and his technical skills were off the charts. My idea was he would constantly insert himself into new systems, taking over droids, ships, computer networks, etc. he'd be almost impossible to kill, and eventually, terrifyingly powerful.

But my GM fell in love with a girl on the other coast, and flew off and married her before I got to play him.

Complete Starship Construction System
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell you anything on the munchkin part of the topic, as I have no such experiences.

Only once did a player want to bring in a previously established character into my game. It was at the beginning of my current SW campaign, in fact.

When it came time for creating his character, the player in question presented me with the character - the only SW character he ever played, continuing his story for something like 12 years real-time. I think I'm the fourth GM running the character. Obviously, having survived this long, the character was quite advanced and had a lengthy and complicated backstory.

I was, understandably I think, apprehensive. But instead of refusing outright I rewieved his story and sheet and found nothing at all objectionable. In fact I quite liked the character. So I agreed, and we hashed out a way to bring him into my planned story and era.

The game was supposed to be advanced characters anyway, so I just gave the other player the same CP total to spend on creating her character.

Everything worked out very well.
- Tom Lehrer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: