The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Grav Boots
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Grav Boots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Grav Boots Reply with quote

Hi, it's me again with some questions Razz

This time regarding the Grav Boots (see here: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Grav_Boots).

How would you work with them? Is it just normal Character Movement? Is it Vehicle Movement? And what is the basic speed/move? Is it 20, or is that already the all out speed?

we're a little torn in our group. One means, that they, when tunred on, simply increase the speed as well as give you the ability to fly (when not in a gravity free area), so you use normale Character Movement with a Move value of 20 (so all out speed would be 80 and Cautious Movement would be 10).
I, on the other hand, find that extremely strange and in-game unrealistic. So i would go with vehicle Movement, seeing the 20 as all-out speed. So cautious movement would be 5...

How would you rule them, when they were used in one of your games?
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Galladinium's Fantastic Technology:

Quote:

Grav Boots
Model: Corgorlath Leisure Articles Master-Grav 1000
Type: Grav boots
Skill: Powersuit operation
Cost: 550 (pair)
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Move is up to 20 meters per round and maximum altitude is 150 meters. The unit is relatively quiet. Various difficulty maneuvers may be attempted, using the powersuit operation skill.

The way I read that is that you don't get a Move of 20 (ie: all out 80, Cautious 10), what you get is the ability to move up to 20 meters per round (ie: the equivalent of a Move of 5) and up to 150 meters in height.

That's how I read it...

As to Character or Vehicle movement, I would guess it's classed as character movement, since it's using Powersuit Operation as opposed to a vehicle skill, but I'm a little fuzzy on that one as a Powersuit could be classified as either, just look at Spacetrooper armor...
However, vehicles are normally mentioned as either 'Move; MPH' (for ground or repulsorcraft) or 'Space Move', so again leaning towards it being classified as character movement.

T.C.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know that Powersuit operation can be used with character movement. Always thought that Powersuit = Vehicle => Vehicle Movement.

Thanks for for that.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
Didn't know that Powersuit operation can be used with character movement. Always thought that Powersuit = Vehicle => Vehicle Movement.

Thanks for for that.

Don't quote me on that... I'll wait for the oracles of D6 Star Wars lore to make a ruling on that one... Smile As I said, that one always seemed fuzzy to me, so I would wait for others to comment. Very Happy

T.C.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not ^^

If I get back to our discussion with just one opinion they're not even going to take me seriously ^^

The more opinions I get here, the better! Very Happy
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
Of course not ^^

If I get back to our discussion with just one opinion they're not even going to take me seriously ^^

The more opinions I get here, the better! Very Happy

Understood! Smile

You know though? The more I think about it, the more I think it should be vehicle movement. It's all in the name of the skill, Powersuit Operation.

An Operation or Piloting skill would be, by definition (theoretically), not character movement... ?

I'm getting a head ache... LOL

T.C.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an official source, or is this a fan-made stat?
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct from Galladinium's Fantastic Technology, page 50-51

T.C.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine's quote is exactly what is written in Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20m of move is per move action i always thought. But it replaces your foot speed...
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The 20m of move is per move action i always thought. But it replaces your foot speed...

I'd agree if it wasn't stated specifically Move is up to 20 meters per round as opposed to 20m per action of which there can be up to 4 move actions in a round.

so a (general) character can walk at normal rate up to 10m x 4 actions at -3D for MAP, whereas a character with grav boots can move up to 20m for 1 action with no MAP unless they do anything else.

I think I called that out correctly...

so a walking character can move further, but it takes more actions to do it?
[EDIT]
Which actually doesn't make much sense as a vehicle moves up to it's move rating per action, and can make 4 move actions in a round...

With that logic, a character with grav boots will be quickly out distanced by a running character...

T.C.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character movement is only allowed once per round, even if the person takes four (or more) actions. They still get the MAP based on how many actions they take, and would go further based on how fast they choose to go (between Cautious and All-Out), but they still only get to move only once.

I would interpret it as character movement as well. And the max (in other words, All-Out) speed as being 20 meters per round. But then I'm picturing what we saw in Star Trek VI, which may not be the best grounds for something in Star Wars. Wink
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

So you say that you would have a Move of 20, meaning a cautious movement of 10 and an all out speed of 80 with the rules for character Movement (meaning from Standstil you can get to 20 meters in the round)?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i was miswriting it.. but your 1 move action you can do is cautious (half speed) cruise (normal) etc.. up to all out x4.. so a foot move can get you to 40m for your one move... Grav boots have a max of 20m period. so you can max out at 20m for your one move.. Ergo a cruise move is 5m..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: